- What can I do to extend battery life?
- I can't find the period ... General Blackberry forum
012 General Blackberry FAQ
- What can I do to extend battery life?
- I can't find the period on the keyboard
- I want to return to the home screen from other screens.
- What causes an "Out of Memory" error?
- How can I delete data from my handheld?
- How do I import the Global Address list onto my handheld.
Sometimes my battery lasts much longer than other times. What can I do to extend battery life?
1. Your first battery may not last as long as subsequent ones. When you first receive your handheld, remove the battery from the compartment and replace it with the fresh battery included in the package.
2. If possible, change the vibrate notification to beep only. Use the vibration only when necessary.
3. Whenever possible, operate without turning on backlighting.
I want to type a message, but I can't find the period on the keyboard.
1. If you want a period at the end of a sentence, press the SPACE key twice. A period will appear, followed by a space, and the next letter will automatically be capitalized.
2. If you want a period in an email field, press the SPACE key.
3. If you want to insert a period anywhere else, press Alt + M. You can use the Alt key to insert the symbols printed on the keys .
I've been working in other screens on my handheld, but now I want to return to the home screen.
You can return to the Home screen from any other screen or menu by pressing the BACKSPACE key (immediately below the trackwheel) until you see the Home screen. The BACKSPACE key lets you backup through screens that you have viewed.
What causes an "Out of Memory" error?
Too many email, calendar, address book entries can cause an Out of Memory error. It may also be caused by too many third-party applications on your handheld.
To avoid seeing this message:
1. Keep only essential contacts in your address book.
2. Restrict the information transferred from your desktop to your handheld during synchronization of your address books by configuring the field mapping. You can configure field mapping in the desktop software's Intellisync tool (Configure PIM>Advanced>Field Mappings). See the Intellisync Online Help for more information on field mapping.
3. Restrict the number of appointments transferred to your handheld's calendar during synchronization by setting a date range. You can set a date range in the desktop software's Intellisync tool (Configure PIM>Advanced>Date Range). Select the Transfer Items within Range of Days item and set a date range. See the Intellisync Online Help for more information on date ranges.
4. Remove any unnecessary third-party software from your handheld. Run the Application Loader and clear the check box beside any additional software. It will not be loaded onto your handheld.
How can I delete data from my handheld?
To remove all data, place the handheld in the cradle and backup your handheld's data. Then run the Application Loader. In the Existing Data Preservation window select the Erase existing handheld application data check box and the Erase existing handheld applications check box before loading the new applications onto your handheld.
To remove part of the data from your handheld, place the handheld in the cradle, open the Backup and Restore tool and click Advanced. Highlight the database you want to delete and click Clear.
How do I import the Global Address list onto my handheld without overriding the Microsoft Contacts folder?
1. Open Microsoft Outlook and select Contacts from the Folder List.
2. Select File>New>Folder. Name the new folder Global; the entries from the Global Address List will be placed in this folder.
3. Connect your handheld to your PC, launch the Desktop Manager, and open the Backup and Restore tool.
4. Click Backup. This will create a file in your local drive of the data and applications on your handheld.
5. Click Advanced. You will see a list of the files currently on your handheld. With the Address Book file selected, click Clear.
6. In the Advanced window, select File>Import>Addresses. The Address Book Import window appears. Select names from the Global Address List and click Import to transfer the names to the destination window. Once you have transferred the necessary names, click OK. The Advanced window now shows a file called Address Book in the Desktop File Databases list. Click the Restore button and select Yes in the warning dialog box. The updated Address Book file will be transferred to the handheld.
7. In the Desktop Manager, double-click the Intellisync icon; the Intellisync window opens. Click Configure PIM. In the PIM Configuration window, select Address Book then click Choose. In the Choose Translator window, ensure that MS Outlook 97/98/2000 is selected as your translator. Click Browse to open the Choose Contact Folder(s) window.
8. Locate and select the Global subfolder that you created in step 1. This subfolder will be under Contacts. (You may have to double-click the displayed folders to view all subfolders). Click Add. In the selected folders list, select the Global folder and click Default. Continue clicking OK to return to the Intellisync window.
9. Select the Synchronize PIM check box in the Intellisync window. Click Synchronize now to add the Outlook Contacts to your handheld and the addresses on the handheld to Outlook. When the dialog box appears asking if you want to delete the new addresses from your handheld, select Re-sync. A dialog box appears asking if you want to add the new address to your subfolder in Contacts. Click OK. You can now synchronize your PIM applications without overriding the addresses you have in the Contacts folder.
10. In the Intellisync window, select Configure PIM > Choose > Browse. The Choose Contact Folder(s) window appears; select the Contacts folder and click Default. This step ensures that when a future contact is added to the handheld, it will be synchronized into the main Contact folder rather than the Global subfolder.
let me know of any more suggestions
Tags for this Thread