With a BlackBerry, you can use the Backup and Restore tool in Desktop Manager to ... General Blackberry forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

002 How do I back up and restore Blackberry data?

Advertisement

With a BlackBerry, you can use the Backup and Restore tool in Desktop Manager to save files from your BlackBerry device to your computer or to restore saved files to your device. PINstack.com recommends backing up your data before updating your BlackBerry's software.

Besides providing data protection, backing up also allows you to edit your Address Book and text files using your desktop computer rather than your device.

The Backup and Restore tool allows you to make full backups or selective backups, in which you select from which databases to back up your device. Similarly, you can choose to restore a backup completely or selectively restore only some databases. Additionally, you can configure an automatic backup.

Full backup

To make a full backup of your BlackBerry on your computer, follow these steps:

1. Cradle your device. If you have a password enabled, you must enter it before your device will connect to the desktop.

2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and double-click the Backup and Restore icon to bring up the Backup and Restore dialog box.

3. If you wish to back up everything on your handheld, click Backup... . The default filename format is Backup-(today's date).ipd, for example, Backup-(2003-03-11).ipd. If you create more than one full backup in a day, an incrementing number will be inserted after the date. Select the desired filename and location and then click Save.

Selective backup

To create a selective backup, follow these steps:

1. Cradle your device. If you have a password enabled, you must enter it before your device will connect to the desktop.

2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and double-click the Backup and Restore icon to bring up the Backup and Restore dialog box.

3. Click Advanced... . In the Backup/Restore dialog box that appears, you can select individual databases to back up from your BlackBerry by selecting them in the "Handheld Databases" box on the right, then clicking the left arrow button to copy them to the "Desktop File Databases" box on the left.

4. You can also use the Backup/Restore dialog box to edit your Address Book on your desktop computer. For instructions, see the Knowledge Base document With a BlackBerry, how can I edit the Address Book using BlackBerry Desktop Manager?

5. Once you have selected all the databases to back up, from the File menu, select Save or Save As... to save them to an .ipd backup file.

Full restore

To fully restore a backup, follow the steps below:

3. Click Restore. In the Select file for Full Restore dialog box, find your backup file and select it. Click Open.

4. Before restoring the backup, you should see a warning that the backup will overwrite the information currently stored in the listed databases on your device. Click Yes to continue.

Selective restore

You can also selectively restore some databases from a backup file. To do so, follow these steps:

2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager, then double-click the Backup and Restore icon to bring up the Backup and Restore dialog box.

3. Click Advanced... . From the File menu, select Open... . In the Open dialog box, find your backup file and select it. Click Open.

4. You can select individual databases to restore from your backup file to your BlackBerry by selecting them in the "Desktop File Databases" box on the left, then clicking the right arrow button to copy them to the "Handheld Databases" box on the right. Each time you restore a database that is present on your device, you will be prompted to confirm that you want to overwrite the device version. Click Yes.

Automatic backup

You can configure your desktop to automatically back up your device on a regular schedule. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and click Backup and Restore. In the Backup and Restore dialog box, click Options... .

2. In the Backup and Restore Options dialog box, click to select the Automatically backup my handheld every 7 days checkbox. In the text box, replace 7 with the number of days you want to wait between automatic backups.

3. Under "When automatically backing up my handheld:", select whether to back up all handheld data, or to back up all but certain kinds of data. You can choose to not back up email, and/or data that will be synchronized using desktop PIM applications, such as your Calendar and Tasks.

4. Click OK. Your BlackBerry device will be backed up automatically when you plug it into the cradle according to the schedule you specified.

nutsnbolts no está en línea Stack Mod
    This is great! Printing this out! Great work.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by nutsnbolts
    This is great! Printing this out! Great work.
    you can find more at the knowledge base section:

http://www.pinstack.com/blackberryfaq

nutsnbolts no está en línea Stack Mod
    Yes, I have gone to that site and checked it out for an hour. Definately a very useful site!

Thank you very much.

mastermarine no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: 002 How do I back up and restore Blackberry data?

Help! I always backup my Pearl, when I had to restore it today the desktop manager is telling me

"cannot restore the following database: Address book. The data was not recognized by the device."

I can't get any of them back! Please help!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Have you tried a previous backup, the one just prior to the last?

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

mastermarine no está en línea Stack level 1

Yes I have tried. I had to copy all my contacts from my SIM card, fortunately I only lost a couple of numbers.

hanceyi no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi,

I have an 8700, waiting for a new curve and meantime will givu up my 8700 to another user and I will use a 7230.

So my question is:
    Can I backup from one device and restore to a different one?

Quote Originally Posted by hanceyi
    Hi,

I have an 8700, waiting for a new curve and meantime will givu up my 8700 to another user and I will use a 7230.

So my question is:
    Can I backup from one device and restore to a different one?
    Generally, yes. You can backup your Calendar, Memos, Tasks, Address Book, Password Keeper, Emails, SMS Messages, and Call Logs, and their associated settings ("options"). However, you cannot backup multimedia from the 8700 to the 7230. Multimedia files are kept in two places: "Content Store" and, if you are using 3rd party software, "RMS Databases". So, when you make the backup, choose "Advanced" and choose everything you would like transferred to the 7230 except RMS databases and Content Store. Then connect the 7230 and restore.

In regards Multimedia, the 7230 is monophonic and cannot use polyphonic ringtones. It can show pictures (although at a lower quality than the 8700) but it has only 16mb flash memory, over half used by the OS, and there's really not practical room on the device for a lot of pictures.

rugby no está en línea Stack level 2

Is it possible to start backup also from BB device by BIS or BES? Or only from BB Desktop Manager?