I recently unlocked the internet for my blackberry, but I refuse to use the internet. ... Internet (BIS) & email forum

whitacre1880 no está en línea Stack level 2

unlocked blackberry internet

Advertisement

I recently unlocked the internet for my blackberry, but I refuse to use the internet. It does work fine, I just don't know if I will be charged for kilobyte usage. My phone is thru cincinnati bell. Any help or answers for this??
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Cano no está en línea Stack level 3

Thumbs up

Yes you will definitely get charged for data usage for internet, streaming (video and audio), etc. unless you have an unlimited data package. If you want to take the limited data approach and not pay the $25 extra from your carrier (which in this economy is understandable) you might want to invest the time to download a data tracker like the one in the link i am posting below. It is free, and should prove very useful in your situation. Hope this helps!

Click here: http://forums.pinstack.com/f10/minimoni_small_application_monitor_ip_traffic_blackberry-66784/

Well I have the unlimited data right now, but to save money I thought about getting rid of it and using it even tho its unlocked. With cinbell u can "block" the internet so u don't get charged for "wandering" on your phone. So I guess the question is now: will I get charged if the data is blocked but somehow I can still access it??
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    I'm confused. If you "block" the internet, it prevents your line from accessing it. How can it be unlocked and still access it if you have a block on it. Your carrier will be able to see that you are using data and you will be charged accordingly. Probably heftily if you don't have a plan.

Cano no está en línea Stack level 3
    I would have to agree with moto. Regardless if you have it blocked, if there is a leak... it will not go unnoticed. Their systems will pick it up. Its not worth the risk and the paranoia. Enjoy your phone! Don't be afraid to use it. After all... a Blackberry is really only good with its internet and email. If you dont use internet or programs that require access to the internet (which is basically every program worth having), you are missing out on 90% of the BB experience!

But ask your carrier, grab the name and id number of the rep you speak to. Ask if you will be charged incase your phone accesses your internet with this block (just for your insurance).

JLeiteRosa no está en línea Stack level 1

you may not be charched... MAYBE

I know of a case, where a friend of mine had Tmobile data and took it off. Somehow she was still able to access her email, net etc. According to TMOBILE it was in fact BLOCKED. And removed as a service feature. She has had this access for nearly a year now, no where in her bill has she been charged.

I guess what I am saying is, get rid of your data plan for a month...take the first month and go real easy on the data usage. Check out if you notice any difference in your bill. And then decide. If its not worth the risk, put the data back.

If there's no difference, then chances are, they may never know. However, I don't quite know how you providers system works. You could always call and ask a hypothetical question... like, what happens if i can still access the net after i have asked your (the service provider) to block my data usage??? I NEVER HURTS TO BE EXPERIMENTAL, AS LONG AS YOU ARE CONTROLLING THE DATA USAGE FOR THAT MONTH

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeiteRosa View Post
    I know of a case, where a friend of mine had Tmobile data and took it off. Somehow she was still able to access her email, net etc. According to TMOBILE it was in fact BLOCKED. And removed as a service feature. She has had this access for nearly a year now, no where in her bill has she been charged.

I guess what I am saying is, get rid of your data plan for a month...take the first month and go real easy on the data usage. Check out if you notice any difference in your bill. And then decide. If its not worth the risk, put the data back.

If there's no difference, then chances are, they may never know. However, I don't quite know how you providers system works. You could always call and ask a hypothetical question... like, what happens if i can still access the net after i have asked your (the service provider) to block my data usage??? I NEVER HURTS TO BE EXPERIMENTAL, AS LONG AS YOU ARE CONTROLLING THE DATA USAGE FOR THAT MONTH
    That's all fine and dandy that your friend got away with it. Carriers are big corporations and yes things get missed.

HOWEVER....it's not honest. I wouldn't be able to sleep with myself if I was stealing.

I am an honest person and refuse to cheat anyone, regardless whether I agree with the price I am paying.

Chances are though out of the millions of users, you won't be one to get away with it.

Schirripal no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2096c6ec
    if you want internet pay for it, if ya dont take the plan off just plain and simple
    RedCurv07

Well my phone is from Cinbell, whom i work for, i had no idea if it would work or not, and i asked my channel manager(basically a big guy with the company) and he said if i block the data it may work and they wouldnt catch it, but i might as well keep the data package I have. he also said that if i use the data package for emailing only, it may also work since emailing uses data on the phone. Thanks for all the help guys!!

also if i ever decide to go prepaid with my phone, i can use the blackberry internet(not that i would go with a prepaid plan(no offense to you prepaid customers))