This applies to the following: BlackBerry 7130e BlackBerry 7250 Wireless Handheld BlackBerry 8707g Wireless Handheld ... Internet (BIS) & email forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

How To: Connect PC to the Internet using a CDMA or UMTS BlackBerry as tethered modem

Advertisement

This applies to the following:
    • BlackBerry 7130e
    • BlackBerry 7250 Wireless Handheld
    • BlackBerry 8707g Wireless Handheld
    • Blackberry 8707v Wireless Handheld
    • BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 and later
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    • Personal computer or laptop computer with an Intel 486 or higher processor
    Note: Pinstack.com does not support using the BlackBerry device as a tethered modem. If you encounter a problem while administering this procedure, please contact your service provider.

Important: Contact your service provider to obtain the user name and password you require to configure dial-up networking. Also, ask your service provider if additional charges are incorporated when connecting to the Internet using the BlackBerry device as a tethered modem.

Getting Started...
    A BlackBerry device (with tethered modem capability) can be used as an external modem to connect a personal computer or laptop computer to the Internet.

Summary of Steps
    To set up a tethered modem, complete the following tasks:
    1. Install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 or later (one time only)
    2. Configure dial-up networking (one time only)
    3. Connect the BlackBerry device to BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    4. Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking
    Step 1
    Install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 or later on the computer.
    When you install desktop software, the drivers that enable the BlackBerry device to communicate through the USB port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.
    Note: If you are upgrading your BlackBerry Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.

Step 2
    To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that corresponds with the operating system you are using.
    Windows XP Operating System
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections.
    2. Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
    3. Click Next.
    4. Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
    5. Select Setup my connection manually. Click Next.
    6. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
    7. If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
    8. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
    9. In the Phone number field, type #777. Click Next.
    10. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    11. Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
    12. Click Finish.
    13. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    14. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
    15. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
    16. In the Properties window, click OK.
    Windows 2000 Operating System
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.
    3. Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
    4. Click Next.
    5. Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
    6. In the Phone number field, type #777. Click Next.
    7. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    8. Type a name for your connection. Click Finish.
    9. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    10. In the Properties window, verify that Modem – Standard Modem is selected, then click Configure.
    11. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
    12. In the Properties window, click OK.
    Step 3
    Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager displays Connected. The BlackBerry device must be identified by BlackBerry Desktop Manager in order for the modem to establish a connection.

Important: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running for the tethered modem to function.

Step 4
    Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.
    Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry device. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Also, make sure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.
    1. Connect the BlackBerry device to computer.
    2. Open BlackBerrry Desktop Manager.
    3. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of your new connection>.
    4. Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider.
    5. Click Dial.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: How To: Connect PC to the Internet using a CDMA or UMTS BlackBerry as tethered modem

Exactly what I needed. Since I sell Sprint, dont use them though, I want to be able to tell people how to do this. Thanks alot boss.

cyoung234 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32B040A6

Anybody been able to do this using Bluetooth?

This connection works pretty well for me as long as I tether the BB to my laptop. I can get ~40kb / sec or so on d/l's with it. I am new to BB and on Sprint with a 7250.

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to get this to work using Bluetooth between the laptop and the BB? I know it is not too big of problem to just plug the USB cable in - it charges your BB while you do this anyhow. I was mainly curious as to whether it will work.

tick48 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: How To: Connect PC to the Internet using a CDMA or UMTS BlackBerry as tethered modem

This method works very well for a Sprint 8703e (CDMA). The only problem however is that incoming calls will interrupt the tethered data session. The data flow will stop until the incoming call ends. Even an unanswered incoming call will interrupt the data session.

Does anyone now of a way to suspend incoming calls during a data session? Is there a way to divert all calls to voice mail? I know this can be done on GSM device but I haven't been able to figure how to divert to voice mail.

KatyEnochs no está en línea Stack level 2

Ok, i was following the directions until step # 11 for the windows xp directions. Should i know my password and user name or do i need to call sprint and have them give me one?

Also, do i need to even do all these steps since i downloaded the sprint software for this modem thing?

Katy

RaiderWolf no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: How To: Connect PC to the Internet using a CDMA or UMTS BlackBerry as tethered mo

I have followed the instructions exactly as they have been written. Still it does not work. When I push the Dial button I get an error back
    Error 663: The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured properly.

Any Ideads?????

KatyEnochs no está en línea Stack level 2

can anyone answer my last question !?!?!?!?!

gwireless no está en línea Stack level 1

I have done all these steps over and over but can not connect on Dobson cellular one. I know for a fact that it works with Dobson but CS told me they don't support it. I know a tech at Dobson who told me it works, for sure, but said he could get in trouble if he told me. He said a lot of people do it and that I should be able to find it on the net, I have found all except the trick for Dobson ?? Anyone know the trick ?

RaiderWolf no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: How To: Connect PC to the Internet using a CDMA or UMTS BlackBerry as tethered mo

Well I did get my laptop to dial out no error -YEH- seemed that I had a setting in the modem properties window under the advanced tab that were incorect. I had put these setting in from a differant thread that I found. took out the settings and the modem diled, Magic, but when I use the username and password 5555555555@vzw3g.com and a password of 5555555555, replacing 5555555555 with my phone number I get an message saying that the username and password are invalid for the domain. Anyone have any Ideas.

Cheers

joek71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    319CCF42

does this apply to 8703e?

PIN/ID
    319CCF42

Works!!!!!
    Thaks Guys

DZ8703 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32BA3143

I am new with this site.... Mind to help me, since I just got Blackberry 8703e from Sprint service using CDMA... However, I am using Vista instead of Windows XP.... How or where can I find download for my Vista laptop to be capable for using Blackberry as modem??

Thanks....

PIN/ID
    319CCF42

Try this right click on the app and select properties-->Compatibility--> under Compatibility mode select Windows XP(Service Pack 2)
    This might work not sure, if not then call Sprint, also try the above on the setup program before installing. Let me know

fiz_x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21a311e6

hey will this work with vista? Just curious if anyone has tried.