Hello All, Until March of this year I was able to receive emails sent to ... Internet (BIS) & email forum

kadioglu no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23C3F514

Thumbs down IT Policy forces the use of BES sender account when replying non-BES emails

Advertisement

Hello All,

Until March of this year I was able to receive emails sent to my corporate BES account alongside my 4 other personal email accounts, and was able to reply to each different account using my respective sender information. (Actually, I was able to choose the email account that I wanted to use in responding to the various emails of any category - BES, Gmail, Mac or AOL.)

Evidently, in March of this year my IT dept decided to sanction a new security policy preventing this capability. While I continue receiving all my emails, I am forced to reply to the non BES emails using my corporate (BES) email sender information.

i.e. Lets say I receive an email that is addressed to my gmail account... It normally arrives in the same pool of inbox emails as all other emails. When opened the email shows "Unknown" for the account description. When I hit reply, the sender account (and address) of my reply msg automatically becomes my corporate email, and I am no longer given the choice of choosing gmail or any other.

In order to circumvent this issue, I thought that maybe I should consider a Treo 680 with Blackberry Connect (BBC). AT&T, RIM and Palm advertise this combination and I thought that it would work for my BES emails, and maybe I can also send/receive my personal emails as well without the compromised sender issue discussed above. Unfortunately, I learned today - along with several AT&T and RIM support people that only a certain group of IMEI Treo 680 units are compatible with BBC. Needless to say, the new 680 I picked up from AT&T was not in this group, and the RIM tech told me that BBC is just not compatible with the IMEI of my new Treo. The story goes on and I don't want to take up your time here... Bottomline is that the Treo is not a viable solution as nobody at Palm or AT&T can find a way to control their inventory based on IMEI numbers. The short battery life and the interface also leads me to think that the Treo would have probably been less than desirable anyway.

I am now considering to upgrade from my 7290 to the 8800, and wonder if my email issue will prevail.

I must not be the only one with this issue, has aybody found a way around this?

Thank you for reading this posting.

Matt
    Last edited by kadioglu; 07-27-2007 at 01:06 AM.

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d

Re: IT Policy forces the use of BES sender account when replying non-BES emails

Quote Originally Posted by kadioglu

Evidently, in March of this year my IT dept decided to sanction a new security policy preventing this capability. While I continue receiving all my emails, I am forced to reply to the non BES emails using my corporate (BES) email sender information.
    Hi Matt - It would appear that your BES was probably upgraded to 4.xx by your IT department. There's some new and very robust policy features, with which we can do some pretty crafty stuff. I'm going to guess that they've locked you down from changing any of the "browser push" or anything like that, basically routing all of your traffic through the BES. As a BES admin, I'm not aware of any way around this if they've locked you down.

Also, and FYI - even though your SMS and PIN messages come in through a seperate network/VPN from the carrier and RIM, the 4.xx BES has policies that can be used to force the device to send a copy of every PIN and SMS message you receive to the server (logging). So your text message that's carried over the AT&T network for example would then get forwarded to your company's server and stored (if they chose to enable that policy.

war_child no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Can not choose account when replying non-BES emails

I'm currently a BES user, my company pays for the internal fee and I pay for the BB internet connection. I use the text service in addition to using JivTalk for family and friends. Is there anyway you can tell if the information is monitored by your BES admin. Not that I say anything top secrect but i don't necessarily want someone reviewing my conversation with my mother

Thanks in advance

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

You can't cirumvent IT policy. Even in cases where you might be able to slip by, odds are that if your company is bothering to enforce them that they're going to consider circumventing their IT policies as grounds for disciplinary action. If you want full control of a BB then you need to buy your own and keep it off the company BES.

As for privacy, you have none on a company BES-connected BB. If you have things that you want to keep private then keep it off of the company BES-connected BB. Again, get your own and keep it off their BES. This is precisely why I have a personal BB in addition to the one assigned by work.

It doesn't matter if information flows to the BB via BES/MDS or not. For example, PIN messages do not travel via BES/MDS but your BES admin can pull them. I'm not saying that your comany will pull private info and odds are that they probably don't even care. However, I'm just saying that if privacy matters then keep if off their BB. IMO, my employer doesn't need to have access to any of my private info. YMMV.

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d

Quote Originally Posted by war_child
    I'm currently a BES user, my company pays for the internal fee and I pay for the BB internet connection. I use the text service in addition to using JivTalk for family and friends. Is there anyway you can tell if the information is monitored by your BES admin. Not that I say anything top secrect but i don't necessarily want someone reviewing my conversation with my mother

Thanks in advance
    The default setting in 4.1 is to log calls back to the server so unless someone went in and deactivated that policy, which is highly unlikely, it's doing it. But in order to enable PIN/SMS logging, it only takes a few clicks. But as Takeshi said... why would they want to? It's resource-intensive to initiate that kind of monitoring, and in most cases, it just doesn't make good business sense.

war_child no está en línea Stack level 1

Well thanks Takeshi and Pwdiamond for the response, I was just curious.

Appreciate the response