I am trying different IM clients on my 8700g to work with AIM and ICQ, ... BB Best Practices forum

peterme no está en línea Stack level 3

IM client draining my battery!

Advertisement

I am trying different IM clients on my 8700g to work with AIM and ICQ, and maybe Gtalk. I thought my favorite was Yak On but today I did a test. The battery dropped to 60 percent in six hours, with no phone usage, in the holster the whole time. Ping is set to five minutes and I was in a very strong signal area. Are the fancy IM clients all like this? Previously I would run Ramble and Gtalk all day with no objectionable battery drain. Ramble signed-off somehow several times per day, so I'm looking for something better. I use T-Mobile in New York with the Internet data plan. Thanks

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: IM client draining my battery!

Ramble signs off every time you recieve a call.... BB messenger also uses alot of battery life.... If your a busy messenger like i am you will have a low battery by the end of the day.... Thats why i have a extra charger at the office to keep my babies energy level up... Welcome to Pintack Peter
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

Same test as above using WebMessenger shows 90 per cent battery, much better! And I like the interface and features.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

All IM clients use a lot of battery power in my expierence. You might also look at cost and what you like in the IM client. If memory serves WebMessenger is a lot more expensive than Yak On and it is an annual fee vs a one time cost. Try IM+ too. If you are TMo you can use the TMo OZ IM client. It will only let you log into one IM, but it is free, as long as you have unlimited SMS.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

More than 12 hours and the battery shows 85% (see above). And today I was on the phone & sent & recieved lots of messages. I like WebMessenger a lot. Yak On was cool too, but man it ate my battery. Amazing that there is such a difference. Thank God for trial periods!

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Glad you found a pgm that works for you....

CAPONE no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    300C099E

I try to always have a spare charger with me, wether it be in the car or at work. I've even seen disposable battery packs that you can hook up to your BB and charge them like that. Anybody ever use one of these disposable chargers? Feedback?

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I had my yakon at 90ping... I've never had a battery life problem... My bb lasts from 730am till 11pm when it auto shuts off... It does get quite close to dead though but it lasts!!!

That's great, wonder why mine faded...

shafferds no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23d2a4fe

you can always buy an extra battery off one of the sites on sale for about 20 bucks - sure beats going to the store and paying like 50-60.
    DO OR DO NOT THERE IS NO TRY

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ mine runs all day. How low it gets depends on how hard I use it. Sitting at the airport I use it a lot more than when at work.
    I have a car charger kin my car, plug in by the bed, and often carry the usb with my laptop. Never been desperate on power tho.

josephcaraccio no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31a987a7
    They all drain your battery but the only im client worth the batter drain is JiveTalk and trust me i've gone through all of them!
    nonnasmyladie [@] vzw [Dot] blackberry [dot] net

PIN: 31a987a7