Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your BlackBerry device allows access to your email account, so you must take steps to ... BB Best Practices forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

How to: Make your BlackBerry more secure

Advertisement

Your BlackBerry device allows access to your email account, so you must take steps to secure it against misuse by others. The following instructions will help you do so:

* Set the password and timeout option:

1. Select Options, then Security.
    2. Next to "Password", highlight the word Disable and click the trackwheel.
    3. Select Change Option, then Enable.
    4. Enter your password and press the Enter key.

Note: The password must be 4 to 14 characters in length. You must not enter a password composed of identical characters or a natural sequence (e.g., 1, 2, 3, 4), as it will be rejected.
    5. Enter your password again to verify it.
    6. Next to "Security Timeout," highlight the displayed time and click the trackwheel.
    7. Select Change Option, and choose a reasonable time for the handheld to time out and lock. (15 mins or less is usually best)
    8. To exit the "Security" screen, press the Escape key. You will be prompted to save. Select Yes.

* Whenever you put down your BlackBerry, lock it by selecting Lock from the main menu.

* Finally, make sure your desktop computer and network are secure against unauthorized access.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Password protecting my Blackberry.

Question: "Is there a way to password protect a memo file or email file on a RIM 7xxx?" - Hank Answer: Sorry so far you can't password protect the 'Memo' or even the 'Tasks' features on Blackberry. However, I know your concerns and RIM has addressed them somewhat with their Blackberry Handheld security features. In less than 2 mins you can protect all sensitive data on your handheld. Although no security is full proof, this will protect your privacy depending on the level you choose.
    Making your BlackBerry more secure!

Your BlackBerry device allows access to your email account, so you must take steps to secure it against misuse by others. The following instructions will help you do so:
    Set the password and timeout option:

• 1. Select Options, then Security.
    • 2. Next to "Password", highlight the word Disable and click the trackwheel.
    • 3. Select Change Option, then Enable.
    • 4. Enter your password and press the Enter key.
    Note: The password must be 4 to 14 characters in length. You must not enter a password composed of identical characters or a natural sequence (e.g., 1, 2, 3, 4), as it will be rejected.
    • 5. Enter your password again to verify it.
    • 6. Next to "Security Timeout," highlight the displayed time and click the trackwheel.
    • 7. Select Change Option, and choose a reasonable time for the handheld to time out and lock. (15 mins or less is usually best)
    • 8. To exit the "Security" screen, press the Escape key. You will be prompted to save. Select Yes.
    * Whenever you put down your BlackBerry, lock it by selecting Lock from the main menu.
    Finally, make sure your desktop computer and network are secure against unauthorized access.

nremtb no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    203c2d33

Re: What can you do to make your BlackBerry more secure?

thanks for the security tip

sbrauner no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: How to: Make your BlackBerry more secure

Hi,

Just in-case anyone can't find the password setting as described above, the path I needed to take was:

Settings->Options->Security->General Settings

From there, I was able to enable the Password.

Regards,
    Shane

MaFiaaa no está en línea Stack level 1

i wanna disable password but i have change option on menu !!!!!
    can any one help ? i upgrad my phone 7100v to O.S 4.1
    Regards

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Hello MaFiaaa, welcome to pinstack. Are you on a BES or BIS? When you click the trackwheel and choose change option do you see disable?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

MaFiaaa, Welcome to PinStack.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Mickey Shane no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    401431c7
    I set a password that was working just fine. After I switched to a different theme, the password wasn't recognized. I had to wipe after 10 tries and do a restore from the PC. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane
    I set a password that was working just fine. After I switched to a different theme, the password wasn't recognized. I had to wipe after 10 tries and do a restore from the PC. Has anyone else ever experienced this?
    I have a password set and I change themes everyday. Im sorry Ive never experienced that. Maybe someone else has though.

rionac4 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23D04EB4

after i got the IMEI and the PIN code for my stolen blackberry 7105t,please help me if there was another solution than to confide those items to the police agency to find my stolen blackberry.
    thank you very much.
    SINCERLY,RIONAC4

longlasting8020 no está en línea Stack level 1

What about the firewall?

ev1lle1 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    244cc7ce
    Thanks~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

MooseBerry no está en línea Stack level 2
    I've always been curious about the firewall as well, what's the deal with it?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

feetonice no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thank you for this information. The password is also useful in case you lose your phone as well. You do not want who ever picks up your phone to have all sorts of great information about you. I suggest leaving another phone number under the 'About Me', so in case they want to return your phone, they can leave a voice message in your box.

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by longlasting8020 View Post
    What about the firewall?
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseBerry View Post
    I've always been curious about the firewall as well, what's the deal with it?
    The firwall on BlackBerry devices is exactly the same as that found on modern computers - it protects you against unauthorized access whilst you are online (which for BlackBerry devices, is generally all the time)... It protects you against hackers (or "crackers" to use the CORRECT terminology).

It is a good idea to keep this enabled (Menu-->Options-->Security Options-->Firewall-->Status on most devices) and just like most computer-based firewalls, you will see a permission prompt each time an application attempts to access the Internet - if you prefer, you can check the "remember this setting" (or similar) option for applications you trust, so that you're not asked EVERY time it tries to access the Internet (again, just like most computer-based firewalls)...

I am told by more knowledgeable PinStack members that if you enable "Content Protection" (Menu-->Options-->Security Options-->General Settings-->Content Protection on most devices), BlackBerry Individual Solution (BIS) users will have the benefit of similar encryption to that offered by a BlackBerry Enterprise Solution (BES) - this will also FORCE you to protect your device with a password.

If you select "yes" under the "Include Address Book" option, the names of your contacts will not appear when you receive calls (only the number will come up) because the Address Book will still be encrypted at the time the call comes in (unless you've unlocked your device immediately prior to the call coming in), however your Address Book will be encrypted to a VERY high standard...

At this time I leave this option off, but if you have sensitive contacts or you're particularly paranoid, it would be a good idea to have the Address Book protected also (Ms Hilton - you should take particular note of this! LOL).

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast