Question: "Is there a way to password protect a memo file or email file on a RIM 7xxx?" - Hank Answer: Sorry so far you can't password protect the 'Memo' or even the 'Tasks' features on Blackberry. However, I know your concerns and RIM has addressed them somewhat with their Blackberry Handheld security features. In less than 2 mins you can protect all sensitive data on your handheld. Although no security is full proof, this will protect your privacy depending on the level you choose.
Making your BlackBerry more secure!
Your BlackBerry device allows access to your email account, so you must take steps to secure it against misuse by others. The following instructions will help you do so:
Set the password and timeout option:
- 1. Select Options, then Security.
- 2. Next to "Password", highlight the word Disable and click the trackwheel.
- 3. Select Change Option, then Enable.
- 4. Enter your password and press the Enter key.
Note: The password must be 4 to 14 characters in length. You must not enter a password composed of identical characters or a natural sequence (e.g., 1, 2, 3, 4), as it will be rejected.
* Whenever you put down your BlackBerry, lock it by selecting Lock from the main menu.
- 5. Enter your password again to verify it.
- 6. Next to "Security Timeout," highlight the displayed time and click the trackwheel.
- 7. Select Change Option, and choose a reasonable time for the handheld to time out and lock. (15 mins or less is usually best)
- 8. To exit the "Security" screen, press the Escape key. You will be prompted to save. Select Yes.
Finally, make sure your desktop computer and network are secure against unauthorized access.