The WSOD Solution Problem: Fix for only when your screen boots up white with nothing ... BB Best Practices forum

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Guide: White Screen Of Death

Advertisement

The WSOD Solution

Problem:
    Fix for only when your screen boots up white with nothing else. Short in LCD display is caused when the thin metal case around the LCD comes in contact with the 4 solder tabs located on the top side of the logic board where the charging port is soldered.

Tools:
    Tork #6 ,#5
    Small Regular Screwdriver
    Electrical tape

Guide:
    Instead or wasting time to create a guide that is already done, I turned to PDAparts.com for there videos on disassembly.
    Follow the instructions from the videos created by PDA parts.com. These videos cover all the steps need to have your LCD display removed from the logic board. At this point this guide will continue with the steps to hopefully fix your device.

WARNING THIS GUIDE IS TO HELP YOU TRY TO FIX YOUR DEVICE, YOU TAKE FULL RESPONCIBILITY FOR ACTIONS. DO NOT ATEMPT IF YOUR DEVICE IS UNDER WARRENTY, IF IT IS GET IT REPLACED. THIS WILL VOID ANY WARRENTY ON YOUR DEVICE, DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

By now you should have a good idea of what your LCD display looks like. Its pretty basic, the display consists of two parts. First the screen itself, Second the thin metal case with double sided tape that surrounds your display.

Once the LCD display is removed from your logic board you will notice that there are 4 solder tabs located on the left side of you device.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...8/IMG00073.jpg

Grab a piece of electrical tape and cover these 4 tabs. Keep the tape as flat and as clean as possible cause you will be reapplying your display over it.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...8/IMG00074.jpg

Once the tape is placed and the screen is replaced back on the logic board then its time to test it out. Either reassemble your device or place the battery inside the back and lay it down on the table. Then place the logic board into the back and apply pressure down over the phone and the red LED with flash and the phone will boot up. If it works then reassemble your phone, if not then your SOL sorry.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...8/IMG00075.jpg
    http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...8/IMG00076.jpg

Sorry for the bad photos,.

Thanks to: PDAparts.com, CJCARBONE<"Brilliant"
    Last edited by jeffallen8; 03-10-2008 at 11:05 AM.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Thanks for the video guides. I felt it for the Curve though, a little rough eh?

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    The curve in the pictures has been through alot, dropped ran over by a snow plow. Left outside for a week in the middle of a snow storm. its been taken apart cleaned and its still kicking, This curve is tuff! waiting on a replacement screen for it lol

here are more picture of the curve lol
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...snow_plow.html
    Last edited by jeffallen8; 03-10-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Gina no está en línea Stack level 4
    thanks for this
    Gina-Lisa James,
    Pinstack.com – the web's #1 BlackBerry spot!
    Add Pinstack to your MySpace & twitter.com/pinstack

GaBulldog no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thanks for the video's - I love taking things apart!

bfdm_mexi no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a27821

Lightbulb

I dont know if you all noticed but on the 8100 take apart vid. when the guy takes off the lower brand cover he damages the Antenna. When you take this cover off make sure you lift the cover up high enough so its not dragged across and hooks the antenna... thats why he struggled a bit when he was pressing it off with his thumbs he was also using his right hand to conceal it but you get a glimpse of it. be careful not to do this, I did and I noticed a drop in signal strength. Just an FYI
    Last edited by bfdm_mexi; 03-10-2008 at 03:37 PM.
    AT&T. 9000 Bold. Fresno, CA

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Yeah i noticed that to lol

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by bfdm_mexi View Post
    I dont know if you all noticed but on the 8100 take apart vid. when the guy takes off the lower brand cover he damages the Antenna. When you take this cover off make sure you lift the cover up high enough so its not dragged across and hooks the antenna... thats why he struggled a bit when he was pressing it off with his thumbs he was also using his right hand to conceal it but you get a glimpse of it. be careful not to do this, I did and I noticed a drop in signal strength. Just an FYI
    Yup a little rough on the BB's i concur. However, the voice over in the video is accurate and very useful.

josephcaraccio no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31a987a7
    I was told the white screen of death could also be a problem with your OS preventing it from booting. I had the white screen once and I reinstalled the OS and it was good as new.
    nonnasmyladie [@] vzw [Dot] blackberry [dot] net

PIN: 31a987a7

PetRiLJoe no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2404533C
    I have an 8800 that is ruined because of this. However it does boot up, I can do everything I normally could without the screen because I can hear the clicks of the wheel and etc.

Are the tabs on my 8800 in the same place as that Curve? I just ordered a 60 dollar LCD replacement screen and the screen is still white and I have no refund option available because I was confident this screen replacement would work.

-Joseph L

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    its the tabs from the charger port that causes the short so if the charger prot on the 88xx is in the same place as the curve then it will be the same. Good Luck and report back

bajanbastard no está en línea Stack level 4
    Hey i'm having problems with my phone and i think this is the exact solution i need. My 8100 works fine but the LCD screen is always on (WSoD) even with the power off and it's KILLING my battery, 100-0% in less then an hour from normal use (BBM MSN calls etc) and the phone is extra hot/bright on the right side of the screen. Does that sound like a short to you guys? I'll buy the things needed tomorrow and report back.
    Device history: 8100 > 8320 > 8900 & 9530. Keep crackin'

sasha41 no está en línea Stack level 1

WSOD No More!

Jeff,
    Champion solution - thanks so much. When I had this problem last (yes this is a repeat problem for my cursed pearl!) it took two months for my carrier to arrange the repair and I got lumbered with a prehistoric brick to lug around.
    This time, no warranty and your fantastic guide have conquered the WSOD in 12 minutes.
    Can't thank you enough.