Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

There are so many acronyms when dealing with the Blackberry device I thought it might ... BB Best Practices forum

twheeler no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E261CF

Guide to: Blackberry Terms

Advertisement

There are so many acronyms when dealing with the Blackberry device I thought it might be helpful to know exactly what all these terms are. Please add to this list or PM me and I will add terms in this post accordingly.

RIM - Research In Motion - The Canadian based company that makes our wonderful device.

BB - Blackberry - a quick and easy way to acknowledge your Blackberry.

BWC - Blackberry Web Client - The web-based e-mail client that comes with the BB service.

BES - Blackberry Enterprise Server - Server solution used by IT groups to manage and control Blackberry groups in a corporation. As another option, here are some hosted BES/MDS solutions available: Link2Exchange, MyBlueberry, Mailstreet.com, eOutlook, Lanlogic.

MDS - Mobile Data Services - MDS is a feature of a BES installation. Here are some hosted BES/MDS solutions available: Link2Exchange, MyBlueberry, Mailstreet.com, eOutlook, Lanlogic.

WAP - Wireless Application Protocol - Wireless solution that allows users to access limited amounts of information on their handheld.

APN - Access Point Network - A server network provided to allow handhelds access to information wirelessly. Usually carrier specific.

SMS - Short Messege Service - A simple text way to send quick messeges to mobile phone and handheld users. Travels on the GSM services netowrk and does not require a data plan.

GSM - Global System for Mobile communication - A digital system tha allows multiple calls and messeges on the same frequency. Mostly used for text and voice.

GPRS - General Packet Radio Service - Data transfer 12 times faster than GSM band. Used for e-mail, web browsing and TCP communication on our BB.

Gina no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Blackberry Terms

This is very useful. You guys should post this in the faqs section.
    Gina-Lisa James,
    Pinstack.com – the web's #1 BlackBerry spot!
    Add Pinstack to your MySpace & twitter.com/pinstack

twheeler no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E261CF

I think Hayden already did. He did a colabrative effort list I think. Maybe I'm thinking of the connectivity settings though...it's late and there's too much information.

Gina no está en línea Stack level 4

His was network related only. I told him to add it
    Gina-Lisa James,
    Pinstack.com – the web's #1 BlackBerry spot!
    Add Pinstack to your MySpace & twitter.com/pinstack

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Post Guide to: Blackberry Terms - Acronyms

By: Timothy Wheeler (twheeler)

There are so many acronyms when dealing with the Blackberry device I thought it might be helpful to know exactly what all these terms are. Please add to this list or PM me and I will add terms in this post accordingly.

RIM - Research In Motion - The Canadian based company that makes our wonderful device.

BB - Blackberry - a quick and easy way to acknowledge your Blackberry.

BWC - Blackberry Web Client - The web-based e-mail client that comes with the BB service.

BES - Blackberry Enterprise Server - Server solution used by IT groups to manage and control Blackberry groups in a corporation. As another option, here are some hosted BES/MDS solutions available: Link2Exchange, MyBlueberry, Mailstreet.com, eOutlook, Lanlogic.

MDS - Mobile Data Services - MDS is a feature of a BES installation. Here are some hosted BES/MDS solutions available: Link2Exchange, MyBlueberry, Mailstreet.com, eOutlook, Lanlogic.

WAP - Wireless Application Protocol - Wireless solution that allows users to access limited amounts of information on their handheld.

APN - Access Point Network - A server network provided to allow handhelds access to information wirelessly. Usually carrier specific.

SMS - Short Messege Service - A simple text way to send quick messeges to mobile phone and handheld users. Travels on the GSM services netowrk and does not require a data plan.

GSM - Global System for Mobile communication - A digital system tha allows multiple calls and messeges on the same frequency. Mostly used for text and voice.

GPRS - General Packet Radio Service - Data transfer 12 times faster than GSM band. Used for e-mail, web browsing and TCP communication on our BB.

Garrison no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23DA5687

Re: Guide to: Blackberry Terms - Acronyms

Thanks you love to not look stupid reading these posts. Now I know the acronyms.
    Last edited by Garrison; 08-23-2006 at 05:12 PM.

StarmanDX no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32B010CC

APN actually stands for "Access Point Name"

(sigh another stupid 'spam restriction', wikipedia for APN and you will find that expansion)

Mannyrios no está en línea Stack level 1

tons of info to learn for a newbie like myself.

victoriou5 no está en línea Stack level 1

haha!! I was trying to guess what some of the acronyms were
    Thanks!

nighteyes no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    88048b33

Thanks to all from a really newbie

mdillion no está en línea Stack level 1

Alright I thought I would find this here but I didn't, what does BIS stand for?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Blackberry Internet Service. It's a slimed down carrier hoster version of BES for Non BES customers. Check out the BB faq link at the Top of the Pinstack web pages.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

oneofthemoment no está en línea Stack level 1

Thank-you Hayden, tWheeler, Gina, Rcbjr, and everyone else for this list of acronyms! As a newbie to BB this helps a lot in the learning process!

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

What is OEM?
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast