This article applies to the following: BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.0 Service Pack 1 and earlier ... Desktop & Syncing forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

How To - Transfer contact information from a Palm OS device to a BlackBerry device

Advertisement

This article applies to the following:
    • BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.0 Service Pack 1 and earlier
    • BlackBerry device
    • Microsoft Outlook
    • Palm Desktop software versions 4.0.1, 4.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.4, and 6.0.1
    • Palm OS device
    Note: If you are running BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later, you can use the PIM Data Migration Wizard to import data from a Palm OS device or a Windows Mobile device to a BlackBerry device. For details, here....

The Migration Wizard enables you to import personal information management (PIM) data from Palm® OS-based devices, such as the Treo™, and Windows Mobile™-based devices to your BlackBerry device. You can import contacts, calendar entries, tasks, and memos.

How to Use the Migration Wizard
    1. If you are migrating data from a Palm OS device, hotsync your device. (Skip this step if you are using a Windows Mobile device.)
    2. If wireless PIM synchronization is enabled on your BlackBerry device, disable this feature.In the tasks, memo, address book, and calendar options, set the Wireless Synchronization field to No. Click the trackwheel. Click Save.
    3. Connect both your BlackBerry device and your Palm OS device or Windows Mobile device to your computer.
    4. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and double-click Intellisync. The Intellisync window appears.
    5. Click Import. The Migration Wizard window appears.
    6. Click Next.
    7. Select the type of device you are using, then click Next.
    8. From the drop-down list, select the PIM profile from which you are importing PIM data, then click Next. The data migration begins.
    9. When PIM data was imported successfully appears, click Finish.
    10. Re-enable wireless PIM synchronization on your BlackBerry device (if applicable).
    Additional Information

The Migration Wizard supports:
    • Microsoft Pocket PC 2000, 2002, and 2003
    • Microsoft Smartphone 2002 and 2003
    • Microsoft Smartphone 2003 SE
    • Palm OS-based devices being used with Palm Desktop 4.0.1, 4.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.4, and 6.0.1

Continuing..... There are two methods for transferring information from Contacts in a Palm OS device to a BlackBerry device. Which method you must use depends on which software you use to synchronize the contact information on the Palm OS device: Outlook or Palm Desktop software.
    Note: Complete the following procedure after installing the BlackBerry Desktop Software on the computer and after installing the BlackBerry Device Software on the BlackBerry device.

If you use Outlook to synchronize the contact information on the Palm OS device, then complete Method 1.

If you use the Palm Desktop software to synchronize the contact information on the Palm OS device, then complete Method 2.

Method 1
    If you use Outlook to synchronize the contact information on the Palm OS device, complete the following steps:
    1. Synchronize the Palm OS device with Outlook to make sure that all contacts on the Palm OS device have been synchronized with Outlook.
    2. Connect the BlackBerry device to the personal computer.
    3. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager, then double-click Intellisync.
    4. On the Intellisync window, click Configure PIM.
    5. Select the check box beside Address Book, then click Choose.
    6. From the Available Translators list, select MS Outlook.
    7. Click OK until you return to the Intellisync window.
    8. Click Synchronize Now. The contact data is transferred to the BlackBerry device.
    Method 2
    If you use the Palm Desktop software to synchronize the contact information on the Palm OS device, complete the following four tasks:
    Step 1 - Export the Data
    1. Synchronize the Palm OS device with the Palm Desktop software to make sure that all the contacts on the Palm OS device have been synchronized with the Palm Desktop software.
    2. Open the Palm Desktop software and click View > Address Book
    3. Select File > Export. The Export As dialog box appears.
    4. Select a location to save the exported file and verify the Export type field is set to Comma Separated (*.csv; *.txt).
    5. Confirm the Range option is set to All, then click Export.
    6. Confirm the fields listed below are selected in the Specify Export section:
      • First Name
      • Last Name
      • Title
      • Company
      • Work
      • Home
      • Other
      • Email
      • Address
      • City
      • State
      • Zip Code
      • Country
      • Custom 1
      • Custom 2
      • Custom 3
      • Custom 4
      • Note
      • Private
      • Category
    7. Close the Palm Desktop software.
    Step 2 - Format the Data File

Complete the following steps to assign a column heading for each data type.
    1. Using Microsoft Excel, open the data file you created in Task 1.
    2. Click inside cell A1 to select the first row.
    3. Click Insert > Rows to create a header row.
    4. In cells A1 through T1, enter the field names listed in step 6 (in Task 1 above). Note: The table below is an example of how the first three column headings should appear.

First Name Last Name Title <first_name> <last_name> BlackBerry Technical Support Representative
    5. Click File > Save.
    Step 3 - Import the Data to Outlook
    1. In Outlook, select File > Import and Export.
    2. Select Import from another program or file. Click Next.
    3. Select Comma Separated Values (Windows). Click Next.
    4. Click Browse.
    5. Locate and select the data file you created in Task 1. Click OK.
    6. Click Next.
    7. Select the Contacts folder. Click Next.
    8. Select Map Custom Fields. The Actions will be performed screen appears.
    9. Make sure the fields are correctly mapped. If the fields are mapped incorrectly, the data will be imported into the wrong fields. To modify the field mapping, click and drag the mapping field, then click OK.
    10. Click Finish.
    Step 4 - Synchronize the BlackBerry device
    1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer.
    2. Open Desktop Manager, then double-click Intellisync.
    3. In the Intellisync window, click Configure PIM.
    4. Select the check box beside Address Book, then click Choose.
    5. From the Available Translators list, select MS Outlook.
    6. Click OK until you return to the Intellisync window.
    7. Click Synchronize Now. The contact data is transferred to the BlackBerry device.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

Re: How To - Transfer contact information from a Palm OS device to a BlackBerry device

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Wow, great info! let's hope there's an even greater need for this once the consumer BB hits the shelves!

cyberberry no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: How To - Transfer contact information from a Palm OS device to a BlackBerry device

Thank you, Thank you, Thank You

hydroxicacid no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23ea239e

Is there a way to do this without outlook?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

As I recall on my transfer from 650 to 8700c, all I had to do was have both devices plugged in, start up the migration wizard and just wait for it to go through it's steps. I don't have Outlook on my comp and use Palm Desktop for my 650 for my addresses.

Zo.

sssikand no está en línea Stack level 1

Since I don't use Outlook and my Treo died so I couldn't plug it in, this is what I did:

a) Export as VCF from Palm Desktop
    b) Imported the VCF to Yahoo! Mail
    c) Exported the VCF from Yahoo! as Outlook CSV
    d) Set up the Address Book source as ASCII in the Synchronize configuration on Blackberry Desktop
    e) Ran Synchronize

gpm1us no está en línea Stack level 1

The transfer information posted here describes exactly what I need for my situation. Thanks a bunch!!

kdoff no está en línea Stack level 1

I recently purchased the Curve/8300 (AT&T) after being a long-time Palm user, most recently the Treo 650. I tried migrating my data using the Blackberry Desktop tools, and everything migrated, but with mixed results.
    CONTACTS
    - Where I had more than one mobile number, or email address, for a contact, and they were in sequential order on the palm, only the first listing was transferred
    - Where I had a "main" number (like for a business), it didn't transfer at all
    - Data in custom fields didn't transfer at all
    - Data in Palm fields, like IM and Birthdays, didn't transfer at all
    - Contact photos didn't transfer

CALENDAR
    - Only future events were transferred, not the old calendar data
    - Birthdays tied to contacts didn't transfer

Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

MikeDoc no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: How To - Transfer contact information from a Palm OS device to a BlackBerry devic

I'm a long time Palm user and just purchased the 8100 today. Trying to use the Switch Device Wizard to import contacts from Palm to BB. When it asks me to select the software to import the window will not allow me to highlight Palm. Have I set something up wrong?

brokenbricks no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: How To - Transfer contact information from a Palm OS device to a BlackBerry devic

Will the Migration Wizard work with Palm Desktop 4.2?

Thanks.