Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To switch to a new BlackBerry Wireless Handheld and restore the data from a backup ... Desktop & Syncing forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

How To: Switch to a new Blackberry and restore data from the old Blackberry

To switch to a new BlackBerry Wireless Handheld and restore the data from a backup file:
    1. Back up the data from the old handheld.
    2. Load data to the new handheld.
    3. (BES) Switch your email account to the new handheld.
    4. (BIS) Switch BlackBerry assigned to BIS account
    Step 1 - Back Up the Old Handheld

To back up the data from the old handheld:
    1. Connect the handheld to your personal computer.
    2. Use Backup and Restore to back up the data. This will create an .ipd file.
    3. Disconnect the handheld.
    Step 2 - Load Data to the New Handheld

To load the data from the .ipd file to the new BlackBerry:
    1. Remove the SIM card from your old handheld and insert it into the new handheld.
    2. Connect the new handheld to your personal computer.
    3. BES only When prompted to switch your email account to the connected handheld, click No.Note: If you switch your email account now, the handheld will encounter an error when you attempt to restore data to the handheld from the backup file.
    4. If the new handheld had a previous owner, clear all the data on the handheld. For instructions, see "How To: Erase all the data and applications on the BlackBerry device"
    5. In Desktop Manager, use Backup and Restore to restore the data from the .ipd file to your new handheld.
    6. Once the data has been restored, disconnect the handheld.
    Step 3 - Switch BES Email Account to New BB (BIS users skip to Step 4)

To switch your email account to the new handheld:
    1. Reconnect your new handheld to your personal computer.
    2. When prompted to switch your email account to the connected handheld, click Yes.
    3. If prompted to update the handheld software, follow the on-screen instructions.
    4. When prompted to generate a new encryption key, click OK, then move your mouse in a random motion until the Generating New Key dialog box close.
    Step 4 - Switch BlackBerry assigned to BIS account

For BlackBerry Internet Service 2.0
    1. Go to your service provider’s BlackBerry Internet Service web site and log in to your account.
    2. Click Change Handheld.
    3. To change the PIN, delete the number in the Handheld PIN field and enter the new PIN.
    4. Click Save.
    For BlackBerry Internet Service 1.8
    1. Go to your service provider’s BlackBerry Internet Service web site and log in to your account.
    2. In the top menu, click Profile.
    3. Under Change Handheld, click the handheld hyperlink.
    4. To change the PIN, delete the number in the PIN field and enter the new PIN.
    5. To change the ESN or IMEI, delete the number in the ESN/IMEI field and enter the new number.
    6. Click Submit. Your information is saved.
    Done!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: How To: Switch to a new Blackberry and restore data from the old Blackberry

I wish I had seen this when I bought my 7105t instead of dealing with an uninformed rep who told me I couldn't keep my original BIS email address.

cmccrary10 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21B2714B

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i do this all the time for customers in my store. At least 2 a day. I can practically do it blindfolded. :-)

chadamorrill no está en línea Stack level 1

What happens if/when you choose to update the PIN first? How can you get the old data onto the new BB? Everything is working except for syncing the address/calendar.

Any ideas?

bmedude no está en línea Stack level 2

you can still sync it using the data cable and the blackberry desktop manager

SnoConeGod no está en línea Stack level 1
    Old calendar entries aren't appearing on the new blackberry (but new ones are). How can i retrieve these old entries?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    SnoConeGod, Welcome to PinStack.

Are you asking about events that occurred prior to the first sync?

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

tillyjane no está en línea Stack level 1

I was thinking of using this method to get "saved messages" from my boss's 7290 to his new 8700 until I was pointed to the "switch model" functionality in Desktop Software 4.2. One question, and I apologize if it is simplistic, how would you do this if a new sim card comes with the new model. Do you switch out the old sim for the new sim once you bring the data over?

tjoanne no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    304845CB

**** i just switched phones and i didn't know you could take your pin with you? ah well mine was not public anyways, but good to know!
    ~*TJ*~

michjerry no está en línea Stack level 1
    thanks for these instructions--they seem to be helpful. i am having trouble, though. During the restore part, the process freezes up when it comes to "Sending Bluetooth Options." I have waited patiently, but it says it's working, but really i think it's frozen. any ideas?

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by tjoanne
    **** i just switched phones and i didn't know you could take your pin with you? ah well mine was not public anyways, but good to know!
    You can't "take your PIN" whit you. It is associated with the handheld device and stays with that device. What is being referred to when told to change the PIN is to update the BIS with the Pin of the new device.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    michjerry, Welcome to PinStack.

How long has it taken? Even without having ever activated my Bluetooth, the pearl can take up to 30 minutes for a full transfer. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

krakberry no está en línea Stack level 1

hello, i'm sorry if this question seem redundant for this forum but i just switched from 7290 to 8700 and it won't sync! when tried it says "no applications configured for synchonization." i did all the steps in #1 forum above. what's missing? thanks!

LARRYLOSER no está en línea Stack level 1

can someone show a loser how to swap address book .. i am new to pearl...i am trying to transfer old address book from old bb to new pearl via desktop manager. it works fine from old to desktop but doesn't seem to acknowledge new pearl device at all...i have checked FAQs but cant find specifics sorry...

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

LARRYLOSER, Welcome to PinStack.

Does your Desktop Manager connect to the New BB? Is that the problem? Have you tried going to DM Options/Connection Settings and clicking on Detect?

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast