Edit: as of Sunday morning this question has been answered. Thx! New user and I ... Desktop & Syncing forum

PDX_Unplugged no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Is it possible to USB synch messages w/out a BB service?

Advertisement

Edit: as of Sunday morning this question has been answered. Thx!

New user and I cannot find an answer to this via search.

I'm not subscribed to a BlackBerry plan through AT&T nor do I want to for the near term (I hit my POP3 email through the browser occasionally but do not want the add'l BB plan expenses). I am synching my PIM through BB Desktop Mgr and would like to synch certain Outlook 2007 folders so I can have them on the go. Is there a way to create a USB message synch without setting up a BB service? This is something I do on my Windows Mobile devices via MSFT Activesynch.

I am using an 8300 Curve on AT&T with Outlook 2007, Windows XP.

Thank you.
    Last edited by PDX_Unplugged; 12-09-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Question answered

showtime no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Re: Is it possible to USB synch messages w/out a BB service?

PDX_Unplugged you are in the big leagues now. You must subscribe to a data plan to get your messages to your blackberry. Although RIM has tapped into a market for appeal to all life style users, the Blackberry is still a business communication device. The Blackberry is an extension to your email and desktop apps, not the other way around.

To make another point, if you use the T-Mobile Sidekick you will need to subscribe to their data plan to use the messenger features. If you don't, then you will just have an expensive phone that serves only one purpose. (Fashion)
    Last edited by showtime; 12-10-2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Mispelled "only"

BigHulkDiese no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22BF6200

There is a way to push your email from your desktop to a free email account. I was pushing my work account (before I got on their BES) using a couple third party apps (Get Mail and FreePop's). You can leave your Outlook open on your desktop and as soon as it receives and email, Get Mail will forward it from your desktop straight to the free mail account.

Not sure this helps you with the synchronizing folder (because I don't think you can do that with these thrid party apps) but it may help in some way.

booyaacpn no está en línea Stack level 1

PDX Unplugged, I have been trying to do the same for the blackberry I purchased for my wife. Unfortunately, after several months of research and experimentation, I have come to believe everyone, when they say you cannot sync email without a data plan. All other options will sync, but messages will not.

My understanding is that the desktop redirector is for the scenario where one could not or would not want to use a BIS account, but their corporation corporation does not have BES installed. I thought the blackberry redirector would sync via the USB or bluetooth connection to my wife's pearl, but I believe it simply forwards incoming emails back out to the internet to RIM to forward wirelessly to your device.

I might have some inaccuracies, but unfortunately is doesn't work.

PDX_Unplugged no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I feared that this was the case as RIM's business is predicated on serving mail... Just hoped that this august and enterprising community would have figured out a way to slip past the walled garden for a hard synch option (don't need a wireless one -- i.e.: I'm not trying to get away without paying for data).

Best,

PDX