Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Problem: For one reason or another you need to un-install your Desktop Manager from your ... Desktop & Syncing forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

How To: Perform A Clean UnInstall Of Desktop Manager

Advertisement

Problem: For one reason or another you need to un-install your Desktop Manager from your computer and re-install it, however, the same problems are existing.

Solution: Perform a Clean Uninstall of the Desktop Manager software by following the guide below:

Task 1 - Uninstall the BlackBerry Desktop Software

1. Close BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    2. Open the Control Panel and double-click Add/Remove Programs.
    3. Select BlackBerry Desktop Software and click Change/Remove.
    4. On the InstallShield® Wizard window, click Remove followed by Next.
    5. On the Confirm Uninstall window, click OK.
    6. On the InstallShield Wizard window, click Finish.

Task 2 - Delete the Research In Motion folders from the registry

1. Click Start > Run.
    2. Type Regedit, then click OK.
    3. In Registry Editor, delete the Research In Motion folder located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\
    4. Delete the Research In Motion folder located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\

Note: This key will not be present if you are removing BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.0.

Leave the Registry Editor open to complete the next task.

Task 3 - Delete the Pumatech or Pumatech Technology key from the registry (if present)

Pumatech Shared folders only exist in the registry prior to BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.0 Service Pack 1.

1. In Registry Editor, delete the Puma Technology folder located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\
    2. Delete the Pumatech key folder located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\
    3. Close the Registry Editor.

Task 4 - Delete the Research In Motion folders from your hard drive

For Windows 2000 or XP

1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Delete the Research In Motion folder in C:\Program Files\
    Note: This key may not be present if you are removing BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.0.
    3. Delete the Research In Motion folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files (if present).
    4. Delete the Research In Motion folder in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\
    5. If you were running BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.0 Service Pack 1, delete the BlackBerry Desktop folder in C:\Documents and Settings\<user names>\Application Data\.

For Windows 98 or ME

1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Delete the Research In Motion folder in C:\Program Files\
    3. Delete the Research In Motion folder in C:\Windows\Application Data\

Task 5 - Delete the Pumatech folder from your hard drive (if present)

If you are running BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.0 Service Pack 1 or later, delete the Pumatech Desktop Setup folder located in C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\
    If you are running BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.0 or earlier, delete the Pumatech Shared folder located in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\

Note: If you are unable to delete the Pumatech folder, rename it (e.g., Pumatech Shared_old).

If the Pumatech software is being used by synchronization software for other personal digital assistants (PDAs), you will need to re-install the synchronization software.

Task 6 - Restart the computer

The desktop software should now be fully uninstalled. Restart the computer to make sure that all background processes are cleared from system memory.

Additional Information

Before you re-install the BlackBerry Desktop Software, register the atl.dll file.

For Windows 98, ME, or Windows NT® 4.0
    1. Open a command prompt. For example, click Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
    2. Depending on your operating system, type one the following at the command prompt and press ENTER:
    *For Windows NT 4.0, type cd c:\winnt\system32
    *For Windows 98 and ME, type cd c:\windows\system
    3. Type regsvr32 atl.dll and press ENTER. A message indicates that the registration was successful.
    4. Type exit and press ENTER.
    5. Restart the computer.

For Windows 2000 or XP

1. Click Start > Run.
    2. In the Run window, type regsvr32 atl.dll and click OK. A message indicates that the registration was successful.
    3. Restart the computer.

Copyright © 2006 Research In Motion Limited, unless otherwise noted.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: How To: Perform A Clean UnInstall Of Desktop Manager

EDIT: Sorry. Didn't realize the pictures were so large when I loaded them. Give me a bit and they will be scaled down to size.

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

This works really well people. N8 just walked me thru it the other day. It was to the point that I could not do anything with my DM other than tethering as a modem. My system was slowing way down also. After doing the above steps, I now have a functioning DM and my speed has returned to normal on my laptop.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

One thing more, just to remind people that use non-admin accounts for normal use, you have to be using your admin capable account for this.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Here is some good info for un installing DTM....
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

rickerb69 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    askme4it
    I'm new to bberry and have been having the same problem by the sound of it. I can't seem to launch the DM app beyond my desktop. I want to get to the calendar etc to try synching my 8700r with my laptop ,and nothing happens. I assume that there is a task and calendar application included in the bberry software. Am I wrong. If you can't tell by now, I aint the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers! If anyone out there has any input...

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

rickerb69, Welcome to PinStack.

Did you get DM to install completely? Can you Open it? You need a PIM such as Outlook, Lotus notes or one of the other Compatible PIMs in order to sync your Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Tasks with your BB. Hope this helps.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

bleepyo no está en línea Stack level 1

This resolved the "the wizard was interrupted before blackberry desktop software could be completely installed" issue for me. Thanks much!

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

bleepyo, Welcome to PinStack.

Glad you got your Desktop Manage installed correctly. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

rickerb69 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    askme4it

thought i'd let you know - very late but i figure better late than never - that i got my dm working. thanks for the support.

GGW4Mike no está en línea Stack level 2

hmmm..I type regedit in it says "regedit is not a valid Win32 application"

PDXOR no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Looking for a little advice before heading down the un/re-install DM path today.

I had major problems with my PC and had to use the "recover" function. That process in spite of backups and promises that the recovery wouldn't mess with my data, it somehow screwed up my administrator account. The result is that I can see many of my program files, including Desktop Manager, in Explore, but can't get them to actually run. So now I'm reduced to reinstalling things. I'm planning to do this with DM today, and have a couple of questions.

First, DM doesn't show up in my Add/Remove Programs list. I assume I should just follow the steps above for deleting the RIM files and registry entries etc.

Second, the PC crash caused the loss of some recent e-mail messages and calendar entries on my PC (Outlook) that are still in my BlackBerry. Any tips for making sure I don't lose that data would really be appreciated.

FWIW, I'm on a BB 8800 via Cingular, and had (past tense) DM 4.2

Thanks in advance for any help. You PinStackers are great!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Oops. I should have also noted that I'm using BIS. Thanks again!

Umm . . . nevermind!

Honest, I tried searching before posting. But after sending the above, I stumbled onto a solution in the "Desktop Manager Won't Run" thread at http://www.pinstack.com/blackberryforums/15365-desktop_manager_will_not_launch.html#post362393.

I stand by my earlier comment, though . . . you PinStackers are a fantastic resource! Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast