Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

With a BlackBerry, you can use the Backup and Restore tool in Desktop Manager to ... Desktop & Syncing forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Post How to: back up and restore Blackberry data

Advertisement

With a BlackBerry, you can use the Backup and Restore tool in Desktop Manager to save files from your BlackBerry device to your computer or to restore saved files to your device. PINstack.com recommends backing up your data before updating your BlackBerry's software.

Besides providing data protection, backing up also allows you to edit your Address Book and text files using your desktop computer rather than your device.

The Backup and Restore tool allows you to make full backups or selective backups, in which you select from which databases to back up your device. Similarly, you can choose to restore a backup completely or selectively restore only some databases. Additionally, you can configure an automatic backup.

Full backup

To make a full backup of your BlackBerry on your computer, follow these steps:

1. Cradle your device. If you have a password enabled, you must enter it before your device will connect to the desktop.

2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and double-click the Backup and Restore icon to bring up the Backup and Restore dialog box.

3. If you wish to back up everything on your handheld, click Backup... . The default filename format is Backup-(today's date).ipd, for example, Backup-(2003-03-11).ipd. If you create more than one full backup in a day, an incrementing number will be inserted after the date. Select the desired filename and location and then click Save.

Selective backup

To create a selective backup, follow these steps:

1. Cradle your device. If you have a password enabled, you must enter it before your device will connect to the desktop.

2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and double-click the Backup and Restore icon to bring up the Backup and Restore dialog box.

3. Click Advanced... . In the Backup/Restore dialog box that appears, you can select individual databases to back up from your BlackBerry by selecting them in the "Handheld Databases" box on the right, then clicking the left arrow button to copy them to the "Desktop File Databases" box on the left.

4. You can also use the Backup/Restore dialog box to edit your Address Book on your desktop computer. For instructions, see the Knowledge Base document With a BlackBerry, how can I edit the Address Book using BlackBerry Desktop Manager?

5. Once you have selected all the databases to back up, from the File menu, select Save or Save As... to save them to an .ipd backup file.

Full restore

To fully restore a backup, follow the steps below:

3. Click Restore. In the Select file for Full Restore dialog box, find your backup file and select it. Click Open.

4. Before restoring the backup, you should see a warning that the backup will overwrite the information currently stored in the listed databases on your device. Click Yes to continue.

Selective restore

You can also selectively restore some databases from a backup file. To do so, follow these steps:

2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager, then double-click the Backup and Restore icon to bring up the Backup and Restore dialog box.

3. Click Advanced... . From the File menu, select Open... . In the Open dialog box, find your backup file and select it. Click Open.

4. You can select individual databases to restore from your backup file to your BlackBerry by selecting them in the "Desktop File Databases" box on the left, then clicking the right arrow button to copy them to the "Handheld Databases" box on the right. Each time you restore a database that is present on your device, you will be prompted to confirm that you want to overwrite the device version. Click Yes.

Automatic backup

You can configure your desktop to automatically back up your device on a regular schedule. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and click Backup and Restore. In the Backup and Restore dialog box, click Options... .

2. In the Backup and Restore Options dialog box, click to select the Automatically backup my handheld every 7 days checkbox. In the text box, replace 7 with the number of days you want to wait between automatic backups.

3. Under "When automatically backing up my handheld:", select whether to back up all handheld data, or to back up all but certain kinds of data. You can choose to not back up email, and/or data that will be synchronized using desktop PIM applications, such as your Calendar and Tasks.

4. Click OK. Your BlackBerry device will be backed up automatically when you plug it into the cradle according to the schedule you specified.

rupdha no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: How to: back up and restore Blackberry data

i can not open the file to view my info once i have backed up my phone nos

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Try synching your info to Outlook. You should be able to view it there.

sjncis285 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23cb51e2

why when after it jams when doing a restore during the application loader dose it delete the internet browser and how do you get it back?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

sjncis285, Welcome to PinStack.

Don't know what BB device you have, but to get the Internet Browser back after a restore or OS reload, go to Options/Host Routing Table, or Options/Advanced Options/Host Routing table and open the Menu. Select Register Now. That should refresh your service books. Do a Cold Reboot (Battery Out, wait 15-30 sec, Battery Back in) afterwards. If this doesn't work, login to your BIS account and use the Send Service Books options. Again Cold Reboot.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

texasmax no está en línea Stack level 1

Is there a way to restore photos selectively? This is on an 8700c/ OS 4.1, after a full wipe. On BES (don't think that maters, though). The selective restore dialog doesn't have an option to restore the photos, unless it's stored under another db.
    Thanks!

texasmax no está en línea Stack level 1

Figured it out, it's the Content Store db

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

texasmax, Welcome to PinStack.

Glad you found that and if fixed you problem. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

johnsewakray no está en línea Stack level 1
    I upgraded my BB to OS v4.1.0.309. When I try restoring from a Loader *.ipd file, where I backed up my handheld on my computer before upgrading, through DM, I get this message, "Cannot backup or restore the following database: Address Book. The data was not recognized by the handheld." All the other databases are restored on my handheld except for this all-important one. Help!

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    johnsewakray, Welcome to PinStack.

That sound like a serious problem. Do you use a PIM to sync your contacts with you Blackberry? If so, you should be able to resync using the import setting to get you PIM Data on the BB without deleting anything on the PC. Hope this helps.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

johnsewakray no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks for your welcome.

No, my Outlook and BB address books were separate so I have no other backup of my BB contacts except in the backup on my desktop that I did before starting the upgrade. That loader ipd file on my desktop restores all my other infomation on my BB except Address Book. Could it be that part of the loader ipd file got damaged somehow in the backup process? Is there any way to "read" it and spot what the problem is? Any help from anyone would be much appreciated.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Try a selective restore using the Advanced feature of desktop manager. Move one database at a time.

Hope this helps

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

escs no está en línea Stack level 1

i can't get the files I have backed up to open. it asks me what I want to use to open the file?

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

escs, Welcome to PinStack.

What are you trying to get from the backup file? They are really meant to be just that a back up to be restored to your BB if there is a problem and you loose your data. The is a third party App that will allow you to export some of the information in the Backed up data bases. Do a google search for ABC Blackberry Amber.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Hello johnsewakray, welcome to pinstack. Whats the status, did you get it working?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast