Many times when connecting to Desktop Manager on your computer, you will be informed that ... Desktop & Syncing forum
How To: Resolve Automatic Search for Updates with Desktop Manager
Many times when connecting to Desktop Manager on your computer, you will be informed that there is an upgrade available for your device when there really isn't. This is because when you installed DM you checked the box to automatically check for software updates. While this is a handy feature to keep us informed of the latest OS releases from your carrier, it can also be a nuisance when you know you already have the latest and greatest! We've seen enough of these posts lately to warrant its own how-to thread, so here it is!
1. Go into the Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs (Programs and Features if you're running Vista).
2. Locate BlackBerry Desktop Software in the list of installed programs.
3a. Vista: When you click on BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.x you will see an option at the top of the screen to Uninstall/Change. Click on that.
3b. XP: When you click on BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.x you will see a button in the highlighted section to Change/Remove. Click on that.
4. Once the InstallShield Wizard comes up, click Next.
5. Select the button to Modify the installation and click Next.
6. The Custom Setup screen comes up here, so just click Next.
7. Make sure the correct Integration Option is selected (personal e-mail if you're using BIS, work e-mail if you're on BES) then click Next.
8. The next screen is the one where you can turn off the auto "feature" by unchecking the box that says Check for Software Updates. Once you've uncheck that box, then click on Install.
This will curtail the search for available updates whenever you launch Desktop Manager.
::EDIT:: I know this will work with DM 4.6 and above. It does NOT work with DM 4.3 and I'm not sure about versions in between.
Last edited by RogerG; 02-02-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Great information RoGro, this always bugged me when I upgraded my OS.
BlackBerry® Certified Support Specialist
Thank you for the excellent information. Very much appreciated
Tags for this Thread