Summary This article applies to the following: BlackBerry Desktop Software 2.1 through 4.1 BlackBerry device ... Desktop & Syncing forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Fix: Unable to write or update application data

Advertisement

Summary

This article applies to the following:
    • BlackBerry Desktop Software 2.1 through 4.1
    • BlackBerry device
    • BlackBerry Device Software 4.2
    • IBM Lotus Notes
    • Microsoft Outlook
    • Microsoft Windows 2000
    • Microsoft Windows XP
    Problem

When synchronizing personal information management (PIM) data between the BlackBerry device and the computer, you receive the following error:
    Unable to write or update application data.

Summary of Causes

The following are possible causes:
    1. The First Name, Last Name, or Company name fields for a contact are blank.
    2. The BlackBerry device does not have enough storage space.
    3. There are invalid characters in name or address fields.
    4. The BlackBerry device database is corrupt.
    5. Outlook is corrupt and Intellisync is unable to translate data.
    Cause 1

A contact in Outlook does not contain information in one or all of the following fields:
    • First Name
    • Last Name
    • Company Name
    Check if contacts have empty First Name, Last Name, or Company Name fields.
    1. In the Outlook contacts, select the Phone List view.
    2. Right-click the pane and select Customize Current View.
    3. Click the Fields button.
    4. Select First Name in the Available fields list and add to the Show these fields in this order field. First Name should then appear in the Show these fields in this order field.
      Note: To add the Last Name and Company Name fields simultaneously, press and hold the Shift key while selecting Last Name and Company Name. (See Attached)
    5. Drag First Name to the position underneath Icon, i.e., second from the top.
    6. Click OK twice.
    7. To arrange the contacts list by first name, click the First Name column in the title bar.
    Some address books are too large to search manually. To enable advanced logging, see KB-01451.

Resolution

Make sure that each contact entry has information in the First Name field.
    1. In Outlook, go to the Contacts page.
    2. Sort the contacts by Category to easily identify entries without first names.
    3. Type information in empty First Name fields. Alternatively, delete entries without a first name.
    Cause 2

The BlackBerry device does not have enough space to synchronize PIM data with the computer.

Resolution

Create more space by reducing the date range for appointments and events that will be stored on the BlackBerry device. If you require additional storage space, you can also remove applications from the BlackBerry device.
    Note: Back up the data on your BlackBerry device with the Backup and Restore tool in BlackBerry Desktop Manager before proceeding.
    Use Intellisync to reduce the range of days
    Reducing the date range restricts the number of appointments or events transferred to the BlackBerry device. You can choose to transfer all items, future items only, or items that fall between a range of days. Reducing the range of days should create more available space on the BlackBerry device.
    1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer.
    2. In BlackBerry Desktop Manager, open Intellisync.
    3. Click Configure PIM and select Calendar.
    4. From the Configure drop-down menu, select Advanced Settings.
    5. On the Date Range tab, reduce the range of days.
    Use the application loader tool to remove applications
    1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the personal computer.
    2. In BlackBerry Desktop Manager, open Application Loader. The Application Loader Wizard opens.
    3. Click Next.
    4. Type your password and click Next.
    5. In the Handheld Application Selection area, clear the check boxes for the applications you want to remove from your BlackBerry device, and click Next.
    6. Click Finish. The application(s) are removed from the BlackBerry device.
    Cause 3

Invalid characters (for example, +, $ or %) exist in the Name or Address fields of contacts.
    Some address books are too large to search manually. To enable advanced logging, see KB-01451.

Resolution

Make sure that no invalid characters appear in the Name or Address fields of Address Book entries.
    1. On the BlackBerry device, click Address Book and select the entries with invalid characters.
    2. Remove any symbols or invalid characters from the Name and Address fields.
    Cause 4

BlackBerry device database or information is corrupt.

Resolution

Clear the corrupt database.
    1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    2. Open Backup and Restore and click Advanced.
    3. Select the database of the application on which the error occurred and click Clear. For instructions on how to determine the corrupt application, see KB-03069.
    Cause 5

Intellisync is unable to translate some Outlook data. Even though contact information appears properly in Outlook, exporting it will show that that the information is corrupt.

Resolution

Export the contacts, correct them, and import them back to Outlook.
    1. Open Microsoft Outlook.
    2. In Contacts, click File > Import and Export.
    3. In the window that appears, select Export to a file and click Next.
    4. In the list of applications, select Microsoft Excel and click Next. Follow the prompts to save the file to the hard disk. When the export is complete, open the file in Excel. In the Excel spreadsheet, contacts that empty cells for First Name, Last Name, and Company are corrupt.
    5. Remove the blank entries or type information in them.
    6. In the Outlook Contacts, click File > Import and Export.
    7. In the window that appears, select Import from another program or file and click Next.
    8. In the list of applications, select Microsoft Excel and click Next. Follow the prompts to import the file.
    9. In BlackBerry Desktop Manager, synchronize the contacts.
    Additional Information

If the above procedures do not resolve the issue, delete and restore BlackBerry device data and applications.
    To erase BlackBerry device data and applications
    1. Back up the BlackBerry device using the Backup and Restore tool.
    2. Erase all BlackBerry device data and applications. For instructions, see http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...lackberry.html.
    To restore BlackBerry device data and applications
    1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    2. Open Backup and Restore.
    3. Click Restore and select the backup file that you created before deleting your BlackBerry device data and applications.
    4. Click Open. This restores the BlackBerry device applications and data.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    wow, that is some great info! Thanks once again Hayden!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Thanks Hayden.

This will be a great help in answering all the questions on this problem.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

techytom no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Re: Fix: Unable to write or update application data

Wow, am I confused! I just imported all of my 351 contact records from my Palm to Outlook 2007 using Chapura PocketCopy. It worked GREAT and imported 100% of my Palm records with one simple click.

HOWEVER, I got the "Unable ..." message above after only a few records.

I have about 100 records with only company name, address and phone number, but no first or last name.

Do I have to delete all those records, or add a "dummy" first and last name to all of them??

Where does the address data reside?

Can it reside on my MicroSD memory card instead?

Is 350 contacts too much for the Blackberry?

Sorry for all the questions, but it appears that the synchronization program is more than a little "picky" about what it synchronizes...

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer ....

Tom

eviljonny no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Fix: Unable to write or update application data

Top notch info but I do not have any issues with creating a contact without a company name as long as there is a First and Last name, (Just did it 2 minutes ago and synched up wirelessly in seconds). I guess if I did have an issue it would point towards corrupted contact records?

bbcat no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2835A200

Re: Fix: Unable to write or update application data

I used to have a translator prog working in my 7290 for when I am abroad; translating between English and Chinese characters. It was okay if I left the results of the translations in the device, but as soon as I tried to synch with my desktop the results were unpleasant. Apparently, foreign characters set are not well taken by the intellisynch. Bottom-line, I stopped using the translator software and have since removed from my device.
    "Do the Right Thing, Make your Mother Proud"