1. How do I update only one set of files (PC or handheld)?
2. Not all records were included or updated after a synchronization. Why?
3. I am not notified of conflicts even though some conflicts exist in the data. Why?
4. I accidentally ran a synchronization using the wrong settings. Is it possible to reverse the results of the operation?
5. When I synchronize my data, repeating Tasks disappear. Why?
6. Why did a synchronization add duplicate records to my systems?
7. When I attempt to synchronize data, the operation is disrupted. Why?
8. After I ran a synchronization, some of the data in my application was truncated. Why?
9. Why isn't data being transferred when I run an operation?
10. How do I synchronize with both my Outlook Contacts and my company's Exchange Global Address List?

1. How do I update only one set of files (PC or handheld)?

You can update only one set of files by using the Import or Export buttons in the Choose Translator window, available through the Intellisync tool. The Import button updates your handheld with information from your PC application. The Export button updates your PC application with information from your handheld. To import or export files:

1. Follow the instructions in Configuring the Address Book, Configuring the Calendar, or Configuring Tasks, depending on which type of entries you want to import or export.

2. In the Choose Translator window, select Import or Export.

3. Click OK until you return to the Intellisync window.

4. Click Synchronize Now to update your device or your PC.

2. Not all records were included or updated after a synchronization. Why?

Several settings in the Advanced Settings window can exclude records from synchronization. For example, if Ignore is selected in the Conflict Resolution setting, all conflicting records are disregarded. The Date Range setting can exclude calendar items from synchronization and the Tasks tab settings can exclude task items from synchronization.
Check the Advanced Settings window to see if your missing data can be accounted for by one or more of these settings.

3. I am not notified of conflicts even though some conflicts exist in the data.

You are notified of data conflicts only if the normal synchronization processes cannot determine which data is correct and if Notify is selected as the Conflict Resolution setting.

To change the Conflict Resolution setting:

1. Click the Advanced button in the Intellisync window, then click the Conflict Resolution tab.
2. In the Conflict Resolution tab, select Notify me when conflicts occur. You will be prompted when the Conflict Resolution setting is needed during a synchronization.
Note: The Conflict Resolution setting also resolves all data conflicts during Import and Export operations.

4. I accidentally ran a synchronization using the wrong settings. Is it possible to reverse the results of the operation?

You may be able to restore the PC file data using a backup version of the file. Look for a file with the same name but an .IPD (or other backup) file extension in the directory in which the original file was located. To restore the file, simply rename the backup file with the original filename.

5. When I synchronize my data, repeating Tasks disappear. Why?

When repeating task items are transferred to your handheld, they are fanned to a maximum of three items in the device application.
If you delete all 3 instances of a recurring task from your device, the corresponding repeating item in your PC application will be deleted the next time you synchronize your data. To avoid inadvertently removing a repeating item from your PC application, maintain at least one of the recurring tasks in the device.

6. Why did a synchronization add duplicate records to my systems?

If you change a field mapping after you have already synchronized a set of data, the next synchronization is, in effect, a first-run synchronization, which may cause the duplication of records. Duplications can occur if key fields are re-mapped. For example, if you change the mapping of a Name field in the address section, address records may be treated as new records during the next synchronization because the records now look different from the records that already occur in your systems.
Duplicate records may also be created during a synchronization under the following conditions:
- The Add or Ignore setting is selected in the Conflict Resolution tab of the Advanced Settings window.
- Your PC database file has become corrupted. (See Data not transferred.)
- Your device is not reading or writing data properly during the data transfer. (This may require a “hard reset.” See the Handheld's User’s Guide for more information on resetting the device.)

7. When I attempt to synchronize data, the operation is disrupted. Why?

Certain virus scanning programs can interfere with the synchronizer. Try re-running the operation with your virus checking software temporarily disabled.
Certain power management programs can also interfere with synchronization. If disabling your virus scanning software doesn’t work, try disconnecting any power management features that are enabled.

8. After I ran a synchronization, some of the data in my application was truncated. Why?

When data is transferred between fields in your device and your PC application, data is truncated in the target field if the source data is too lengthy to be accommodated. If you then edit the truncated data, the original data in the other system is truncated during the next synchronization.
To edit truncated data:

1. Any time you edit truncated data, go in and edit the corresponding record in the other system. It can be the same change you made in the shortened record, or a trivial edit. The important thing is that a change is registered in that record.

2. Make sure the Conflict Resolution setting is set to Notify me when conflicts occur.

3. During the next synchronization, the Conflict Resolution window appears. For the record with the truncated data, select Ignore. This prevents the truncated data from overwriting the data in your other system.
Note: If you select Ignore, as recommended, you are prompted to resolve the conflict again the next time you run a synchronization. If this is not acceptable, you can highlight the original (non-truncated) text in the Conflict Resolution window and choose Update. Note, however, that this will overwrite the edit that caused the conflict in the first place.

9. Why isn't data being transferred when I run an operation?

Sometimes a data transfer fails because the data in your PC application has become corrupted. To find out if this is the problem, create a new file in your PC application and run another operation using that file. If the operation succeeds, your PC application data is probably corrupted. If this is the case, you might be able to restore the data from a backup file for your application.
In order to protect data stored in your PC from corruption and to maintain the integrity of your database:
- Periodically run the application’s compress, compact, or re-indexing utility (if available).
- Restrict the size of your database by deleting old records.
- Periodically backup your data. You can make a backup copy by using the Backup/Restore tool.

10. How do I synchronize both my Microsoft Outlook Contacts and my Exchange Global Address List?

If you don’t mind having Global Addresses merged with your Contacts in Outlook, perform steps 2, 3 & 5. If you wish to keep the two address lists separate in Outlook, perform steps 1-6.

1. Open Outlook on your PC and select Contacts in the Mailbox list. Select File>New>Folder. Name your new folder Global; the entries from the Exchange Address List will be placed in this folder.

2. Launch the Desktop Manager and double-click the Backup and Restore tool. Click the Advanced button. You will see a list of the files currently on your handheld. With the Address Book file selected, click Clear.

3. In the Advanced window, select File>Import>Addresses.... The Address Book Import window appears. Select names from the Global Address List and click Import> to copy the names over. Once you’ve copied all the names you want, click the OK button. The Advanced window now shows a file called Address Book in the desktop file databases list. Click the Restore button. The updated Address Book file will be transferred to the handheld.

4. From the Desktop Manager, double-click the Intellisync tool; the Intellisync window opens. Click the Configure PIM... button. In the PIM Configuration window, select Address Book and click Choose. Ensure Outlook is selected as your translator then click Browse to open the Choose Contact Folder(s) window. Locate and select the Global subfolder that you created in step 1. This subfolder will be under Contacts. (You may have to double-click the displayed folders to view all subfolders). Click the Add button. In the bottom list, select the Global folder and click the Default button. Continue clicking OK to return to the Intellisync window.

5. Click the Synchronize now button to add the Outlook Contacts to your handheld and the addresses on the handheld to Outlook. When the dialog appears asking if you want to delete the new addresses from your handheld, click Re-sync. Now a dialog appears asking if you want to add the new address to your subfolder in Contacts. Click OK. You can now synchronize your PIM applications without overriding the addresses you have in the Contacts folder.

6. In the Intellisync window select Configure>Choose> Browse. The Choose Contact Folder(s) window appears; select the Contacts folder and click Default. Performing this last step ensures that when a future contact is added to the handheld, it will be synchronized into the main Contact folder, rather than the Global subfolder.