Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hey everyone.. I recently became a 8320 user and just switched from verizon.. the forums ... Desktop & Syncing forum

rand0m no está en línea Stack level 3

Adding contacts from scratch..

Advertisement

hey everyone.. I recently became a 8320 user and just switched from verizon..

the forums have been very useful so far.. ive searched and haven't found an answer yet for this.

I have a great deal of contacts on my old phone that i would like to enter in on the new bb. I was told using the desktop manager would work.. probelm is i don't use any of those progams linked..

is there a way to manually type it out on some 3rd party app or some kind of file and then upload it to my phone and have it work?

or.. is outlook the best way? (i don't have outlook on my comp cause i dont use it.. but i can get it iff that will be the easiest solution)

beeee nice

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: Adding contacts from scratch..

what model is your old phone? can you save the contacts to your sim card? if the old phone is a bb, then you can switch device in desktop manager.

hey cherrichiodo, my old phone is a crappy samsung cdma.. so no simcard.. it does have bluetooth, but i can't seem to get it to sync w/ my curve, nor would i know how to send my contacts over.

so yeah.. no sim card = bad news

PIN/ID
    ATA

oh crap...that sucks

let's see if anyone else has any other suggestions

haha, that would be great..

so normally though, do users just add the contacts to outlook and then sync um over?

if that is the norm, i don't mind getting it just to add my contacts..

i tried typing in all my contacts last night but didnt get past the "A" section >_<

PIN/ID
    ATA

quite honestly, that is the ONLY way I know how ... im an outlook user

and if you are a decent typer, it won't take much time at all

haha, i'm not that good of a typer yet on a full qwerty keypad.. hopefully real soon though!

TreBlack7 no está en línea Stack level 2

Ouch! Outlook has been great for me! I've actually been using it since before I had my first blackberry and was still using the Motorola 2-way pager! It may be one of those projects that require patience if your directory is crazy huge, but it's worth it in the long run just make SURE you have BAckups of your backup! I have a directory of my entire industry pretty much in my phone of about 3400+ contacts and I haven't had any problems with syncs. Except when I get a brand new BB and I sync or do the device switch that first time takes a while but after that, it's pretty much cake.

If there is any possible way you can sync your Samsung with your PC, and get your contacts saved into some format that can be imported into a program that BB Desktop can sync with like OUtlook, ACT, etc.....then obviously that would be the way to go. If not,.....then happy typing. Maybe hire a high school student or somebody who needs a couple of bucks to do it for you eh!

^ lol.. i haven't yet tried to sync the samsung w/ my laptop.. i'll try that now.. but it is a verizon phone, and verizon is notorious for making everything impossible for you.

don't think i can trust kids or anyone to type all those in correctly =x

thanks for the info

PIN/ID
    ATA

yep, treblack is right, maybe there is software for the samsung to sync? try samsung's website

i've synced a razr and another mobile phone before, but they each offered their own version of desktop software too

inkwirer no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2404b3ff

You can transfer your contacts the following ways:
    1.) Use the SIM card. This is possible if your old phone is not a BB. In the phonebook menu, transfer the contents of your old phone from the phone memory to SIM memory, a SIM card can only hold 250 and this may lead you to buy more SIM cards just for the sake of phonebook transferring, if it becomes necessary. Once you have a pre-filled up SIM (your phone numbers from the old phone are already in the SIM at this point), insert the SIM in the BB, go to address book, press the BB button (button with blackberry emblem) and select SIM address book, once you are viewing the contacts in the SIM address book, press the BB button again and "copy all" of the contents into the phone address book.
    2. Microsoft outlook express will also work with your BB desktop manager, install the software, go to "synchronize", "configure synch", check the box for address book, choose "outlook express" as your primary contact holder and save the changes you've made by left-clicking on "ok" and left-clik on "synchronize" to begin the synchronization process. However, if your old phone is not a BB, you have to visit the manufacturer's website for you previous device and download or find out how to purchase a software that allows you to transfer the contacts to outlook or outlook express.

A free, legal copy of microsoft outlook 2002 is available inside the setup CD of most windows mobile or pocket pc devices, try to find someone you know that has one, it is important that the cd you acquire comes with a "cd key".

I hope this helps or either entertains you.

TreBlack7 no está en línea Stack level 2

I would definitely go that route first! I t would be h&LL trying to type in a bunch of contacts. It was like a second job the first time I tried it back in 99 with my 2-way and Excel, and I haven't done it since! You can download a free trial of Outlook from Microsoft's website. Give it a shake! The new 07 Office is pretty sexy anyway to be honest.

inkwirer no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2404b3ff

I just saw you had a CDMA phone, buy an SD card, go to any Verizonwireless corporate store (it has to be a corporate and not subdealer store, call 18009220204, use your old verizon number and get anybody from customer service to look up one close to your current zip code)n they have a "cellebrite" phonebook transfer tool and can accomodate to backup your phone book into your SD, once this is done you can open the back up file in your pc by changing the filename to a ".csv" file and then you can use an ezcel sheet to import into outlook express by going to "file", "import", "import from another program or file", browse the location of you file and finalize the import to outlook express or again as I have mentioned in my previous posts, look for a copy of outlook 2002.

^ oh i got the new office 07 suite.. just didnt install outlook. guess that will be my option then. i can't find anything about the sansung and syncing it doesnt work w/ the comp either.. damn you verizon for screwing me these past two yrs!!!!

=P

thanks guys for the help.. i love the fast responses!

hey!

what if.. i typed out all my contacts at work.. how can i save the file email it to myself and import it on later from my laptop? is that possible?

maybe if i have some downtime tomorrow i can do that cause i dont wanna get outlook on here, lol.. i like to keep my laptop minimal w/ only the bare essentials.. after install outlook, removing it and everything is no fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast