Hi there, I am not actually a pearl owner myself but I am helping a ... Handheld Guides forum

philbuk no está en línea Stack level 1

New pearl owner - confused

Advertisement

Hi there,

I am not actually a pearl owner myself but I am helping a friend get to grips with his. He is a rather short tempered technophobic old git who wouldn't know how to subscribe to a forum so i have done it for him. I do have a vested interest though as i rather fancy aquiring a perl for myself in the near future.

Anyway my friend has had a couple of problems to date and i am helping him to stay calm by solving them thanks to your wonderful forum. However this latest one has me stumped and i have searched the threads without luck.

He tells me that every time he tries to make a voice call by going into his contact list highlighting a contact and hitting the send key, it prompts him to write an email rather than just going ahead and calling the contact. Is he being a complete twit or is this a common problem with a simple solution?

Very greatful for any help.

Phil

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: New pearl owner - confused

ok...when you say he is 'hitting the send key' do you mean the green phone headset top left or the trackball?

if he wants to call them, have him hit the green phone button...

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Additionally, make sure that the contacts have phone numbers in the correct fields.

Let us know how this goes.
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Thank you very much you guys for your responses.

Yes by the send key I mean the green key that is the one he is pressing after he has highlighted the contact.

Iwill contact him about whether the phone numbers are in the right fields .. keep you posted.

Phil

I contacted my friend and he now says that when he highlights a contact and presses the 'spotty key' there is an option to email but no option to call. I told him just to press the green phone key once the contact is highlighted but it still only prompts him to email rather then making a voice call to the highlighted contact.

Phil

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Have the friend go into the Call log, open the menu, select options then Smart Dialing and enter his country code and Area codes in the appropriate fields. And another thought, Ask him he turned off his wireless. Ask him what indication he has for GSM, EDGE, GPRS.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

GadgetProne no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Quote Originally Posted by philbuk
    I contacted my friend and he now says that when he highlights a contact and presses the 'spotty key' there is an option to email but no option to call. I told him just to press the green phone key once the contact is highlighted but it still only prompts him to email rather then making a voice call to the highlighted contact.

Phil
    Grab the phone from him and figure it out and then show the old DOG! LOL! I have a friend just like Him.....oooh the frustration!

Thanks Rcbjr will pass on your advice and see what happens and GadgetProne you understand my suffering! I will definitely be commandeering his phone for a few mins next time i see him.

Phil

Well Rcbj,

Looks like you sorted out that problem for me. It was indeed setting up smart dialing that was the problem and now that is sorted my friend can call directly from a highlighted contact. Thanks very much!

However just when I was feeling confident that I had prevented my friend smashing his BB into the floor (as he has done to previous phones) he sent me an email with the following info..

[FONT=Bookman Old Style]I'm still making hard work of the BB. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Bookman Old Style]First, even when I delete spam first from my desktop, they still come down to the BB regardless.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Bookman Old Style]Secondly, today I had to delete some 20 emails individually, 'cos when I went into "messages" in order to "delete prior" the thing was empty, so I couldn't![/FONT]
    [FONT=Bookman Old Style]Whad'ya make of all that?!![/FONT]
    [FONT=Bookman Old Style][/FONT]
    This may just be the ramblings of an old fool and I wouldn't be offended if you ignored it completely but if it does ring any bells, please let me know.

I have my own idea why the spam is still downloading to his BB..I think he isn't deleting it on his server..however he swears blind that he goes into webmail to delete his spam..so I guess that is the server he is deleting it from...not sure.

As for the second problem with the emails..er..not sure either. Any help much appreciated.

I can only pity the old sod..he is maddingly disillusioned in that he expects his BB to be as simple to operate as a toaster.

Phil