Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I looked around the forums and saw a lot of these suggestions posted, but not ... Handheld Guides forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Keeping Your Memory Clean

Advertisement

I looked around the forums and saw a lot of these suggestions posted, but not all condensed into one specific guide. So I compiled a list of the steps to follow to keep your device running it's best. If I miss anything, please feel free to add.

Delete Unused Applications: Seems like a no-brainer doesn't it? There are so many applications installed by default on the Blackberry or ones that we've downloaded to try out and just never use 'em.

1) Go to Options > Advanced Options > Applications and scroll down to the application you want to remove.

2) Press the menu button and click 'Delete'. You may be prompted to restart the device after removing certain applications. Go ahead and do this to ensure that all portions of the app get removed.

3) You may also go into Desktop Manager (DM) and use the Add/Remove Programs feature if you are near your PC. Just uncheck the box beside the application you want to remove and follow the prompts from there.

Enable Content Compression: This feature will actually compress some of the data stored on your device, such as memos, tasks, appointments, messages, etc.

1) Go to Options > Security Options > General Settings and scroll down to 'Content Compression'.

2) Click on that field and select 'Enabled'.

Enable Memory Cleaning: This neat little feature will scrub you devices' memory of a lot of garbage that accumulates through daily use from the device itself and applications.

1) Go to Options > Security Options > Memory Cleaning.

2) Select 'Enabled' to turn this feature on. You now have several options such as 'Clean When Holstered' and 'Clean On Time-Out'. Enabling them all is a good idea so that no matter what, your BB will constantly keep itself clean, especially during the above times when you're obviously not using it.

Clear Your Browser Cache: Why do most of us have BB's? The internet of course. Well, this stuff accumulates over time and it eats up memory on your device. Cleaning it once in a while will not only keep your memory free and device running smooth, but will also clear up many browser problems.

1) From inside your browser, press the menu key, scroll down to 'Options, and click.

2) Scroll down to 'Cache' Operations and click.

3) You can click the top button to 'Clear History', which will clear everything, or clear each catergory (Cookies, Pushed Content, etc.) individually if you want to clear the cache, but not necessarily the cookies.

Keep Your Inbox Clean: Are you an e-mail or text fiend? If you are, your inbox is probably full and eating up space. Here's how to keep it nice and organized.

1) On your Home Screen, click on 'Messages'.

2) Press the menu key, scroll down, and click on 'Options'.

3) Now go to 'Keep Messages' and select something realistic for you, such as 15 days. Now after 15 days, it will automatically clean your messages out.

Delete Your Old MMS/SMS Messages: While the above feature will keep your device clean from now on, we need to get to cleaning up what you already have.

1) On your Home Screen, click on 'Messages'.

2) Scroll up until you have the oldest date you want to still keep highlighted.

3) Next, press the menu key, scroll down to 'Delete Prior', click, and follow the prompts.

Delete Unused Themes: We all know how cool that theme looked on the website, but maybe not as cool on our device. Or perhaps you just found one you liked better. Themes can eat up a lot of space, so keeping them trimmed down is essential.

1) Go to Options > Themes.

2) Scroll down to the theme you want to delete and press the menu key.

3) Select 'Delete' and continue this for each theme you want to remove.

4) Just like removing apps, you can do this through DM is you're near a PC.

Clear Your Event Log: Your device keeps a running tab of events that occur from function calls, to module accesses, etc. Over time this data begins to add up and that log becomes rather large.

1) On your home screen, hold the 'ALT' key and press 'L' 'G' 'L' 'G' (LGLG).

2) Press the menu key, scroll down to 'Clear Log', and click.

Storing Photos/Videos/Ringtones: We love the cameras on our devices because we always have them with us for quick snapshots, but those can eat up a lot of space.

1) On the home screen click on 'Camera'

2) Press the menu key, scroll down to 'Options', and click.

3) Scroll down to 'Store Pictures' and choose 'Memory Card'.

4) Any ringtones you decide to add you should place on the memory card through either the Media Manager in DM, or by entering 'Mass Storage Mode' when you connect the device to your PC and using the old 'drag and drop' method.

Clear Your Phone Logs Out: If you haven't returned that missed call from 3 weeks ago, you're probably never going to.

1) From your home screen, click 'Phone'.

2) While holding down the 'aA' (capitalization key) key, scroll your trackball down to highlight all of the entries.

3) Press the menu key, scroll down to delete, and click.

Hopefully these things will help keep your device clean and running at optimal performance.
    Last edited by MStrawder; 07-19-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    good job man... very helpful post...
    i see RED...

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Thanks Redd. Like I said, I had seen a lot of these scattered all over the forums and didn't wanna take away from anyone else who'd posted it before, but I hadn't seen it condensed into one post.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Very nice. I am not sure if the one rogro has in his sig is this detailed but it is out there. Give it a look as well.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

rasclot no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Why I agree those things work,in addition I use memory up/freeware version.I've heard many say it doesn't work.I've gotten better results from the app.especially after viewing vids.for those who are not familiar wit apps it a ram defrag for bb.its keeps my berry running smooth.I've been using for past 6mos.so chk it out n judge for yourself.please scroll down page for freeware version before you say its jus a trial.http://wap.emobistudio.com/products.php

DiamondD2506 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    *Ask*
    Great tips!! Thanks
    *CLASSY, not TRASHY*

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    Very nice. I am not sure if the one rogro has in his sig is this detailed but it is out there. Give it a look as well.
    Thanks MC, I'll give it a look and see if there's anything I missed. Kept seeing a lot of questions lately about free memory. I actually just responded to one, literally like 5 mins ago.
    How to upgrade your OS

dtucker230 no está en línea Stack level 2

cant find cache to clean

this is a great help. did all of them except the bwoser cache. when I go to advanced options/browser all I get is the default config., default mds config. and the default WAP config. No cache. Any ideas? this is a blkbry bold

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Good suggestions, you could add clearing Phone Calls Logs, they can really build up over time. I don't think the Event Log really collects that much stuff, it seems to only collect about a days worth then gets dumped.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by dtucker230 View Post
    this is a great help. did all of them except the bwoser cache. when I go to advanced options/browser all I get is the default config., default mds config. and the default WAP config. No cache. Any ideas? this is a blkbry bold
    You're right, going to update this. While in your browser, press the menu key, scroll down to 'Options', and click. Then go to 'Cache Operations'.
    How to upgrade your OS

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta View Post
    Good suggestions, you could add clearing Phone Calls Logs, they can really build up over time. I don't think the Event Log really collects that much stuff, it seems to only collect about a days worth then gets dumped.
    That's true. I'm one of those who never clears the phone log out. I'll update it now.
    How to upgrade your OS

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    These are all good tips and could use a fresh new post, but I agree with DCookSta on the event log, it saves usually 8-12 hrs worth of info and takes up very little room. Check your memory before and after clearing it and you will notice very little difference. I have not cleared mine in months and the oldest event is only hours old.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

sweetkalena no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    PLZask
    Thank U to everyone I believe I stumbled upon the best site and group of people ever. I have yet to be disappointed here. I love all the input from everyone here. I know when I log on I will be learning something new. I've been havin problems with memory too I've opted to delete many apps I clear all the cache n cookies n my activity logs but had to go thru each contact one by one to do so. When ur talkin bout thes event log would that be the same as the activity log?

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    NIce How to MStrawder! Definitely a worthwhile read!

THB
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    Thanks MC, I'll give it a look and see if there's anything I missed. Kept seeing a lot of questions lately about free memory. I actually just responded to one, literally like 5 mins ago.
    No problem..Thanks for a great post. Even if it has been posted in the past this is an on going issue and the more it's out there the better..Awesome job.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetkalena View Post
    Thank U to everyone I believe I stumbled upon the best site and group of people ever. I have yet to be disappointed here. I love all the input from everyone here. I know when I log on I will be learning something new. I've been havin problems with memory too I've opted to delete many apps I clear all the cache n cookies n my activity logs but had to go thru each contact one by one to do so. When ur talkin bout thes event log would that be the same as the activity log?
    Welcome aboard you will find that it's more like family here than anything else. People learning and helping and then sharing what they know. A little over a year ago I had no clue and now I can do all kinds of things and offer help I never could before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast