Hi All, Bit of a newbie - I'm Marcus from London. Got my Pearl a ... Handheld Guides forum

mwaters no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Installing zip/jar files

Advertisement

Hi All,

Bit of a newbie - I'm Marcus from London. Got my Pearl a few days ago.
    Anyway i take the train and wanted to have some other games apart from BrickBreaker to play.

I've downloaded the zip files from a website but cant work out how to get them onto the phone...

If i email them as attachements to my address they come through as zips that you can expand & collapse but cant do anything else with them?!?

I downloaded them and saved them as 'all files' with a .jar extension but if i email these you can even access them as an attachment...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance

Marcus

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Installing zip/jar files

Jar files are meant to be installed using your Blackberry Internet Browser. Us you BB to browse to the Website and select the link you want to install. Click the track ball to commence the install. Follow the instructions on you BB to complete the install. Make sure the program you want to download is compatible with your pearl

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

58vette no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3049D993

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~also if you unzip the files on your computer then use desktop mgr to add file and go into the file that way u will see the .alx file and the desk top mgr will install for you. Hope you get it done let us know if you got any good games lol. And welcome to the stacks

scoundrel no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242100A9

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~yes, do let us know if you get some fun games?

asdf12321 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Jar files are meant to be installed using your Blackberry Internet Browser. Us you BB to browse to the Website and select the link you want to install. Click the track ball to commence the install. Follow the instructions on you BB to complete the install.
    Sorry to stick my nose on the thread, but I'm having trouble with the above. When I try to download a jar file I get no option to install, instead I get the hexadecimal code within the file itself.

sansaman no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by asdf12321
    Sorry to stick my nose on the thread, but I'm having trouble with the above. When I try to download a jar file I get no option to install, instead I get the hexadecimal code within the file itself.
    Actually, I found this solution here somewhere too.

1. Connect using your usb under browse mode so you can see the folders in your memory card.
    2. Create a new folder inside the \blackberry folder, name it whatever you like. Apps is fine.
    3. Copy the .jar and .jad file to this folder and disconnect when copying is done.
    4. On your blackberry, run Media application. When there, click the menu button and select Explore.
    5. Browse to the folder you created and look for .jad file (or .jar, one will work) and click the trackwheel or ball.
    6. You will have an option avilable to download, select that option.
    7. Your application will seem to download, but will actually install like OTA.

asdf12321 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by sansaman
    Thank you for that. Although its not ota, at least it seems to be an effective way of getting .jars to work without using the alx converter that in turn needs a java runtime environment thingy.
    I'll be sure to try it if I ever get a memory card.

Bla1ze no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ya..NO!

sansaman is correct i've done this nummerous amnts of times works like a charm

amarnath_s no está en línea Stack level 1

it doesnt work for me.. wen i click the trackball it says it cannot display the file..

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Quote Originally Posted by sansaman

1. Connect using your usb under browse mode so you can see the folders in your memory card.
    2. Create a new folder inside the \blackberry folder, name it whatever you like. Apps is fine.
    3. Copy the .jar and .jad file to this folder and disconnect when copying is done.
    4. On your blackberry, run Media application. When there, click the menu button and select Explore.
    5. Browse to the folder you created and look for .jad file (or .jar, one will work) and click the trackwheel or ball.
    6. You will have an option avilable to download, select that option.
    7. Your application will seem to download, but will actually install like OTA.
    -

Unless you have the jad and all the cod files associated with that jad, this procedure will only work for jar files. A jad file is not a stand alone install, it requires the cod files also.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

sansaman no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    -

Unless you have the jad and all the cod files associated with that jad, this procedure will only work for jar files. A jad file is not a stand alone install, it requires the cod files also.

Rcbjr.
    Actually, I have installed many applications with the .jar and .jad files only and others files were not required. But you could be right too. I'm new to the BB community.
    Last edited by sansaman; 08-20-2007 at 11:58 AM.

ygfc2004 no está en línea Stack level 1

you can change the jar to cod& alx files that install on your bb; visit bbsgame.mobi for blackberry games and discussion how to do.

driftmaster6969 no está en línea Stack level 1
    ok none of that worked for me and my blackberry pearl 8130...this phone sux! i cant get games to work and i cant get online cause my company cut my service off

driftmaster6969 no está en línea Stack level 1
    any other ideas to get games?