Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748 LastLast

Yes, I did after I uninstalled 4.7 and installed 4.6. But I just shut it ... Handheld Guides forum

jusMikeP no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

Yes, I did after I uninstalled 4.7 and installed 4.6. But I just shut it down and restarted just now to make sure and it didn't work. DM doesn't show an update.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    ok, open DM, choose help/about DM
    then click the last tab that says device software

what does it show?

It shows the one I'm trying to install, 4.6.0.190

Got it!! I did a search for "vendor" and found ANOTHER (it appears you have to delete 2 vendor.xml files) vendor.xml file hidden away somewhere and deleted it, restarted the DM and it's updating as we speak. Hopefully it works now! Thanks for your help everyone, I'll let you know how it goes.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    glad you figured it out. sorry for trying to pick your brain, but we were at least narrowing it down and you had everything right

let us know how it goes

It went very smoothly, the upgrade finished in about 10-15 minutes, not long at all. I let it sit for a couple of minutes after it finished and then my BES activated and synced everything. I did a battery pull after it was finished just make sure. So far, after playing with it for a few mintues, it seems to be working great.

The only irritating thing, which is probably the case with any upgrade or re-install is that all of the emails that I have stored in folders no longer show up in those folders on my blackberry. That drives me nuts, and RIM needs to fix this. It just doesn't make sense to me that I can never access my emails stored in my imap folders after a software upgrade. I don't even know if I can continue using a blackberry for this reason alone. But I said I'm going to be patient this time around, and I am.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Glad to see you got it worked out.

adolpheappia no está en línea Stack level 1
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

fobizzle no está en línea Stack level 1
    hey i am trying to update my 8100 and it was going great until it started to download on to the device. Its been about an hour now and the progress bar has been stuck on "Load JVM and system software" and it hasnt changed for quite a while now. if you could give me some help that would be highly appreciated thanks

odiseo no está en línea Stack level 1
    For some reason after install the new OS never detected that there is installed a new version of the OS available.....I deleted the vendor.xml file but doesn`t work....HEELP

silvermoon no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by odiseo View Post
    For some reason after install the new OS never detected that there is installed a new version of the OS available.....I deleted the vendor.xml file but doesn`t work....HEELP
    did you double check to make sure there wasnt another hidden vendor xml file...there are usually 2.

"So if you have the 4.5 OS installed on the PC and you have deleted the vendor.xml file, you can go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader, you can double-click on the Loader.exe and see if that initiates the upgrade"

I got that information from RoGro which helped me FINALLY get it to work!!! Good Luck!
    silvermoon

smcopey no está en línea Stack level 2
    Heyy I Want To Upgrade My BB Pearl 8100 From 4.2.1 to the newest but im scared of all the bugs and makeing my BB not work anymoer.......any help plz

psychicreader80 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Thumbs up Finally a way to upgrade 8703e OS from 4.2 to 4.5 -Im doing it!

I absolutely hate how crappy my Blackberry performs with 4.2. Although there is not a official OS system above 4.2 .

Has anyone done an upgrade to 4.5 to their 8703e before? Can u give any hints?

Hopefully it will work and if it does I will post the information on how I did it.

Here is what I did learn if u have Vista on your PC.

If you have an Operating System version that is not designed for your phone specifically (like a beta OS) than MAKE SURE TO DELETE the vendor.xml file located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader. Very important!

then:Follow this

The problem lies in the new Desktop Manager's automatic "Check for Updates" feature. This feature uses your internet connection to look for OS updates for your device from your carrier. When it does this it loads a second virtual vendor.xml file in the temp folder on your computer (Vista users look in C:\Users\Username\appdata\virtualstore.) So, even after you delete the normal one that is installed with the OS and Desktop Manager, the automatic "check for updates" feature loads another one based on the brand of device you've got plugged into the PC.

To prevent this from happening this you need to install Desktop Manager WITHOUT this Automatic Update service. Below are the steps to remove this service.

1. Go to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.
    2. Click on "BlackBerry Desktop Software" and select "Change/Remove."
    3. When prompted, hit "Next" and then you should get options for Modify, Repair, or Remove. Choose "Modify."
    4. On DM 4.7 and higher, in the list of installed items, you should see "BlackBerry Automatic Update." Click the icon next to it and change it to "This feature will not be available." That should put an "X" next to "BlackBerry Automatic Update." If you are using DM 4.6 or lower and don't see this option in this list then just continue with the install and the installation will ask you a few screens later. A screen will be shown where you will be asked to check the boxes for:

A) "Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager automatically each time the computer starts."
    B) "Create a shortcut for BlackBerry Desktop Manager on the Windows Desktop."
    C) "Check for software updates."

Be sure number 3, "Check for software updates," is NOT checked.

5. Finish the installation.

(Note: If you're doing a fresh install of Desktop Manager, be sure and choose the "Custom" install button so that you get the prompt for what features you want installed. Otherwise all the features will be installed as normal and you'll likely run into this issue.)

I decided to go with the closest phone to mine. I chose the OS 4.5 from the 8700 Smart phone series.

Worse case senerio, it may not work, I will just format or downgrade. LOL

Hope that helps!!!! I will keep you all posted.

-------------------------------Update-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------12/28/08

Well my post above did not work for an upgrade so now I am waiting for my device to completetly reboot after using JL_Cmder. I currently have the white screen with an error. Hopefully this will allow me to load the new OS 4.5. I am determined to get this to work on my phone even though Sprint does not offer it yet. I will continue to keep you all posted as I will be attempting the CDMA version used by Verizon for the 8330. Cant hurt. I can always restore it back to my crappy 4.2 version......

Once again I will keep you posted.

By the way: Has anyone had any luck upgrading the 8703 series to 4.5?

Is there any company that has released the 4.5 OS for that phone? Anywhere i the world?

Help a girl out!

Jessica
    Last edited by psychicreader80; 12-29-2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: New Issue

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    The auto web update is not an issue with any DM other than the 4.7 and there are other issues as well. For now the best beat for first timers is 4.6.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

saltsaint no está en línea Stack level 1

Upgrade from Apple?

I'm trying to find out if there's a way to upgrade from apple (Powerbook G4).
    I have no PC, so is important for me to do it from my computer.
    TNX