Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Lots of threads about memory issues, deleted phone logs, and emails, etc. Many of these ... Handheld Guides forum

Spamdumpster no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    2423c9c5

How to: Increase available memory on Blackberry

Advertisement

Lots of threads about memory issues, deleted phone logs, and emails, etc. Many of these issues may result from low available memory on the Pearl. The Pearl OS is very heavy compared with 4.1, and yet the device still only has 64 MB.

You can significantly increase the available memory by uninstalling various things from the Pearl. When I restart my Pearl, I have about 43 MB free, and I have 9 third party apps installed: Googletalk, Googlemaps, newsclip, spider solitaire, freecell, klondike, operamini, quickplayer, and RSAsecuretoken.

It's best to do this when upgrading the device to a new OS. For example, if you delete preloaded pictures (see step 5, below), they still show up as 0k files in the pictured folder. If you delete them when you reinstall the entire OS, they won't.

Not all of these steps need be followed, picking and choosing will work too. Where I say to delete a file below, it's probably better just to copy it into a new folder so that you can restore it if necessary. Whenever you want to implement the changes, simply run the apploader.

Back up your device first. No need to modify your .alx file, simply follow the steps below.

(1) If you have a media card, go into the options in the media app and change "reserved pictures memory" to 0M. Even if you don't have a card, consider lowering the number to conserve memory. Savings = up to 10 MB.

(2) Delete the unnecessary language files. You can do it through options> advanced>applications, but the better, cleaner way to do it is through the apploader. When a new OS is installed on the PC (not the device) the .cod files are contained in the java folder at (for OS .69) program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files/8100-v4.2.0.69_P2.2.0.40.

There are approx. 400 files, if you only want english, delete any file with the following at the end of the file name: __pt, __pt_BR, __fr, __it, __de, __nl, __en_GB, __es, __es_MX, __ca, and __tr. Also delete all files with dynamic_ling (except for the English files). For os .69 there are a total of 186 language files totaling 12.4 MB that can be deleted in this manner. Plus, delete the .cod files for korean and semitic language support.

(3) Delete the .cod files with any themes (net_rim_theme_...) you don't use. BUT DO NOT DELETE THE ZEN THEME. By deleting the Cingular theme and the dimension icon theme I saved another MB.

(4) Delete the preloaded video, by deleting the .cod file: net_rim_bb_medialoader_video.cod. Savings = 2.4 MB.

(5) Delete the preloaded pictures by deleting the files: net_rim_bb_media_240x260_b.cod and net_rim_bb_media_100_240x260.cod. Savings = 3.5 MB.

(6) Delete the preloaded ringtones by deleting the file: net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_tunes8700g.c od. Savings = 280k.

Total memory savings is about 30MB. If you don't use PTT on Cingular, delete those .cod files as well (they say ptt in them). If you don't play brickbreaker delete it. If you don't use the maps application delete it.

Keep in mind, however, that some strange things can happen when certain apps are deleted. For example, I deleted the memo pad and tasks on my 7130 and BBcorrector wouldn't work. It's probably best to follow these steps one at a time, so that you'll know which step to undo if a problem arises. Obviously, by messing with the OS files, you could turn your device into a nice Christmas tree ornament, and I take no responsibility if you do that. In discovering all of these steps, I bricked my device twice. However, I simply undid my previous step (i.e., restore some .cod files) reran the apploader and everything turned out fine.

Proceed at your own risk (thanks sniper) and PM me with any questions.

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Spamdumpster I know you wanna helps but you gotta say that the user that do this do it AT HIS OWN RISK
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Spamdumpster, A little clarification please. By deleting the COD file do you mean editing the Blackberry.alx to remove the reference to it or do you mean actually deleting the Cod File before installing the OS?

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Spamdumpster no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    2423c9c5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Spamdumpster, A little clarification please. By deleting the COD file do you mean editing the Blackberry.alx to remove the reference to it or do you mean actually deleting the Cod File before installing the OS?

Rcbjr.
    I mean actually deleting (or at least relocating to another folder) the .cod files.

As far as I can tell, when the apploader runs, it scans the device configuration, the relevant alx files and the java folder. If the alx file calls for a .cod file that doesn't exist in the Java folder, it will simply skip over it, and the apploader will delete it from the devicde.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Woohoo think I will try this tonight

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Thanks, Spamdumpster,

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Well I see Stacey will NOT be posting from her BB tonight lol

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    lol shaddup

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

JDS79 no está en línea Stack level 1
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~how did you get quick player on pearl PM me and let me know is it ota?

abcomputin no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Increase available memory on the pearl

Spamdumpster, thanks for the steps. Before, my pearl would have about 19.5 meg free after a battery-out reset. Now it's got the upgraded OS and about 43+ meg free. It got a little scary at times (the two excessive waits with no sign of life/power), but I just made myself back away from it and wait it out.

cobra2525200 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E636EB

[quote=Spamdumpster]
    You can significantly increase the available memory by uninstalling various things from the Pearl. When I restart my Pearl, I have about 43 MB free, and I have 9 third party apps installed: Googletalk, Googlemaps, newsclip, spider solitaire, freecell, klondike, operamini, quickplayer, and RSAsecuretoken.quote]

how did you get the quick player?
    I tried downloading it straight from my pearl but I get this message:

"Sorry your device is not supported for QuickPlayer application"

I tried downloading it to my pc too, but it's not working.

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3

I have 36 megs free with 14 add on programs and I didnt have to hack anything.

A lot of what is described above can SAFELY and without any risk be done by simply going through the BB Menus, Options, Advanced, Applications and selecting the languages, video file, Password Keeper, Game, etc... pressing Menu and selecting delete.

Also pressing and holding ALT and pressing LGLG and turning the log files off can save over a meg.

Get a MicroSD and store everything you can on it.

abcomputin no está en línea Stack level 3

On mine, there were preloaded videos and pics that wouldn't delete, they were protected and had a lock showing. With this upgrade method, they're gone.

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3

I deleted the video just fine using from the Pearl doing what I said. The pics could not be deleted though.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast