Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have had this on my computer for about a year now. I don't remember ... Handheld Guides forum

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator

How to Back up 3rd Party Apps

Advertisement

I have had this on my computer for about a year now. I don't remember where I got it from, I believe someone sent it to me. It has been very useful to me for when I have changed devices or had to do a re-install of an OS. It is a great idea to do this, because some apps or themes that you have may not be found again or you paid for a theme ota and do not want to lose it. Also, saves time trying to find the apps again to re-load to your BB. I can't tell you how invaluable this has been to me. Here ya go

Need to wipe your device using javaloader or JL_Cmder but don't want to lose all your 3rd party apps? Backup/Restore in Desktop Manager won't do it. Here is a way to back them up and restore them. Note: It wouldn't be a bad idea to do this on a routine basis just incase your device gives you the unexpected hourglass screen of death requiring you to wipe the device.
    • Download and install the latest version of Desktop Manager
    • Plug in the device and run Desktop Manager.
    • Click on “Switch Device Wizard.”
    • Click on “Switch Blackberry Devices.”
    • Click “Next.”
    • Select USB: Your Pin.
    • Click “Next” and then enter your password if required.
    • Uncheck “User Data and Settings” and “Include Messages” leaving only “Third Party Applications checked.
    • Click “Next.”
    • When it’s finished backing up the apps, DO NOT click “Next” or “Cancel.” Leave that screen as it is and continue these instructions.
    • Search your computer files/folders for a folder labled with your pin number. Be sure and search in hidden and system folders. **Or you can Open Windows Explorer or My Computer and type in %temp% to find your temp folder with the folder labeled as your pin number. I find this way easier.
    • When you find it, copy it to another location like my documents.
    • Now go back and “Cancel” the Switch Device Wizard. **If you cancel the wizard before copying the folder to another location the folder is automatically emptied. Now wipe your device as desired. Your backup is complete.

Restore:
    • When the OS has been loaded back to the device run Application Loader again and click on “Add”
    • Browse to the folder you copied with your PIN. Double click on the file named yourpin.alx.
    • This should add all your 3rd party apps to the apploader.
    • Finish the installation to load them to your BB.
    • Restore your personal data using the restore feature in Desktop Manager Backup/Restore

Note: If you are wiping the device because of a problem this procedure may not be wise to perform because the cause of the trouble could possibly be in one of the 3rd party apps.

**Found out that this was originally created by John Clark at Blackberry Forums**
    Last edited by pdxmatts; 04-20-2009 at 01:35 AM. Reason: added to instructions

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Nice tip for backing up 3d party aps, pd, and a good recommendation to do it periodically too. Thanks for posting.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    And if you want it with Screen Shots, check the link in this thread, HOW TO: Back Up 3rd Party Apps On Your Blackberry.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Thanks Rich. I hadn't seen this although, as she indicated, she's had if for a while so I guess it's not new. Still good to post on PS for users like me. I guess it wasn't posted before now.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    great stuff pdxmatts!
    thank you I know a lot of people will dig this!
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr View Post
    And if you want it with Screen Shots, check the link in this thread, HOW TO: Back Up 3rd Party Apps On Your Blackberry.

Rcbjr
    Sorry berryadict, I didn't see that you posted a linkback about this prior. Thanks Rcbjr for pointing that out. Well, maybe we should leave this one with the instructions, just incase the BGR link gets removed or breaks for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    ...........maybe we should leave this one with the instructions, just incase the BGR link gets removed or breaks for some reason.
    I'm for leaving it. I already saved the this post's address and I don't particularly care about the pics although they're nice. (Besides, the BGR link just might go away.)

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    I agree that is should be left also. It's always good to have something like this posted, even if it has been posted in the past, especially search came up with too many to go through to make sure it hadn't been posted before.

Richard
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    pd...or anyone,does this save your codes and settings for an app or just the app itself?
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    pd...or anyone,does this save your codes and settings for an app or just the app itself?
    Try it and let us know Cat. Be a guinea pig for a while and then you can be a cat again.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    this is where mine was located with DM 4.7 and using vista

C:\Users\(your pc account)\AppData\Local\Temp\

PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Try it and let us know Cat. Be a guinea pig for a while and then you can be a cat again.
    i will be as soon as the next 4.7 beta is released. putting in codes and settings is a real pain

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I would say no it doesn't. This is essentially the same backup your BB does when you upgrade your OS. On every OS upgrade you always have some apps that need reg codes entered or apps like viigo where you have to sign in again and it remembers your feeds but your old articles are gone. The same would hold true with this I believe.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Well, I had the crossbar theme that I bought and it saved it and loaded it on my new BB without any problems. And the Krad Wii theme that I didn't want to lose, because you can't get it anymore. Also any 3rd party apps that I had on my BB saved and transferred over as well

Now they are saved on my PC and I don't have to worry that they will be lost forever.

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post

It's like doing the transfer wizard but saving it to the PC instead of transferring to another phone.

You are only backing up your apps and themes. You need to do a restore for your settings and info with a saved back up.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast