Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sending a PIN message Select messages from the main screen, push track wheel in then ... Handheld Guides forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Guide to: Blackberry tips and tricks 2

Advertisement

Sending a PIN message
    Select messages from the main screen, push track wheel in then select PIN Message orselect a name from your Address Book that has a PIN number saved to it. Type out the subject and message just like you would with a normal email message and push track wheel in to show the menu then select 'Send'.

Use Auto Text to replace abbreviations:
    The Auto Text option can also be used to replace common or self-defined abbreviations. For example, 'imo' could be replaced by 'in my opinion'. Another option is to add an entry 'myadr' that would be replaced by your full office address. In fact, the BlackBerry comes with a nice set of built-in abbreviations. Ex. 'mypin' or 'myver'. Get there by selecting "Options" / "Autotext" / click the trackwheel and select New. Add and Save the entry. (In version 4.0: Select the language)

Name Dialing:
    BlackBerry also supports name dialing based on the 'abc' system found on regular phones. To dial by name or to dial a number that contains letters such as 1-800 GOWEBEX, just press the ALT key while you type the letters. The letters will appear on the screen and will be translated to numbers once the call starts.

Store multiple email addresses per contact:
    Enter the Address Book / Select a Contact / Click wheel / select Edit / Click wheel / select Add Email Address / Complete the address / Click wheel / save the entry. Next time you send a message to this person, you will be prompted to select the required email address.

Mass delete e-mails stored on my Blackberry without scrolling
    The best way to delete mass email is to scroll down to the day you want to prune to, highlight the date marker (eg. Sun, Mar 20th, 2005), then click the wheel and select "delete prior".

PIN/ID
    ask
    thanks for the autotext tips I'm tweaking mine now.

PIN/ID
    ask

BlackBerry tips and shortcuts

This document presents some tips and shortcuts you can use with your BlackBerry handheld device.

Note: (*) denotes shortcuts that work only on the 850, 857, 950, and 957 models.

* General tips:

o Hold ALT while rolling the scrollwheel in a field to cycle field values.
    o Hold the CAP key while rolling the scrollwheel to select multiple items in a list.
    o Type the first letter of an item in an options list or menu to jump directly to that item.
    o To move an icon on the Home screen, press and hold ALT and click the scrollwheel to select an icon. Click the scrollwheel again to select Move icon, then roll the scrollwheel to relocate the icon. Click the scrollwheel to drop it into the new position.
    o The BlackBerry display can be backlit to let you work in low light conditions. To get the light to come on, press and hold ALT and press the power key. The light goes out automatically after a few seconds of inactivity.
    o Press C to compose a new message while on the Home screen or in the Messages or Saved Messages applications.
    o Press ALT and roll the trackwheel to scroll horizontally in any application in which you can type or view text.
    o (*) On the Home screen, press and hold ALT and type DBON to change the display of consecutive bars for signal strength and battery power to numeric values. Press and hold ALT and type DBOF to change them back.
    o (*) Press ALT-CAP-B to show the "Device Status" screen. Roll and click the trackwheel on one of the status items to see details for that item.
    o (*) Press ALT-CAP-S to see a list of running tasks. Roll and click the trackwheel on one of the tasks to switch to that task.
    o (*) Press ALT-CAP-BACKSPACE to reboot your BlackBerry.

* In the Address Book:

o To find a specific contact on the "To:" screen, type the first letters of the name, or the initials separated by a space.
    o On BES, you can search for names in the Exchange Global Address List (GAL) by using Remote Address Lookup. For more information, see the Knowledge Base document How do I search for an address in the Exchange GAL?

* While reading a message:

o Press R to reply to sender with quoted text.
    o Press F to forward the message.
    o Press G to return to the last cursor position.
    o Press ENTER to page down.
    o Press ALT-ENTER to page up.
    o Press N to go to the next message.
    o Press P to go to the previous message.
    o Press B to go to the bottom of the message
    o Press T to go to the top of the message.
    o (*) Press A to reply to all with quoted text.
    o (*) Press ALT-SPACE to bring up a symbol table. Select a symbol with the scrollwheel (on voice models this pages down).

* While composing a message:

o Press SPACE to insert the @ and . characters in an email address composition field.
    o Press ALT-CAP, which functions like the Caps Lock key on a computer keyboard. Press SHIFT again to turn this mode off.
    o Press ALT-NUM to access the alternate symbol on each key. Press NUM or ALT again to turn it off.
    o Press B , then R , then SPACE to type an opening parenthesis.
    o Press R , then B , then SPACE to type a closing parenthesis.
    o Press SPACE twice to insert a period when typing text. The letter that follows the period will be capitalized automatically.
    o Press and hold a letter key to capitalize it. You must have Key Rate enabled for this to work.
    o Press and hold a letter key and roll the trackwheel to scroll through the symbols associated with that key. To select a symbol, release the key
    o Press L , then D , then SPACE to enter the current date.
    o Press L , then T , then SPACE to enter the current time.
    o (*) Press and hold G and roll the trackwheel to scroll through available currency symbols.

* While browsing messages:

o Press C to compose a new message.
    o Press N to go to the next day's messages.
    o Press P to go to the previous day's messages.
    o Press U to go to the next unread message.
    o Press ALT-I to show only incoming mail.
    o Press ALT-O to show only outgoing mail.
    o Press B to go to the bottom of the list.
    o Press T to go to the top of the list.

* In the Calendar:

o Press C to create a new appointment.
    o Press D to switch to Day view. In Day view, to switch to another view you must click the trackwheel and select the view from the menu.
    o Press S to scroll through all the calendar views. In Day view, to switch to another view you must click the trackwheel and select the view from the menu.
    o Press and hold SHIFT while rolling the scrollwheel to select more than one appointment.
    o Press ALT and roll the scrollwheel in Day view to view the next or previous day.
    o (*) Press W to switch to Week view. Press W again to go to previous view.
    o (*) Press M to switch to Month view. Press M again to go to previous view.
    o (*) Press A to switch to Agenda view. Press A again to go to previous view.

* In Tasks:

o (*) Press M to mark a task complete. This will also toggle it back to incomplete.
    o (*) Press C to create a new task.
    o (*) Press B to go to the bottom task in the list.
    o (*) Press T to go to the top task in the list.

PIN/ID
    ask

Post Guide to: BlackBerry Tips

Key Guide

• ALT: ‘Half moon’ key on the left of the keyboard
    • SHIFT: ‘Triangle’ keys on either side of the SPACE key
    • CAP: Right-hand SHIFT key
    • ESC: Button below the trackwheel When you run into a phone number that uses letters, don’t fret. Simply hold ALT and dial the letters where they appear in the number. They will be automatically converted to numerals when the call is placed.

Create A Custom Auto Signature

Have you noticed that every email you send to a client, co-worker, or friend from your BlackBerry ends with the line, “Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld”? Would you like to change that to something a bit more . . . you? Well, it’s really quite simple. Connect your BlackBerry to your PC via your sync cable (or, if you use a Bluetooth connection in order to sync, prepare that connection). Open the Desktop Manager by clicking its icon or by navigating to it via your computer’s Start menu. Click the Redirecter Settings icon in Desktop Manager. Click the General tab. Here you should see the Auto Signature field containing the message “Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld.” Edit this message to create your new signature or simply delete it if you don’t wish to use an Auto Signature.

Reboot Without Removing The Battery

BlackBerry devices seem to have a penchant for locking up or otherwise stalling, especially if the device is left in the dock for too long. Once this happens, most of us will sigh, remove the cover from the back, and lift the battery out for two seconds before reinserting it. Surely there must be a better way, right?

Well, it just so happens that there’s a simple keyboard shortcut that will rollover your BlackBerry. Simply hold ALT-CAP-BACKSPACE at the same time for a full second to perform a hard reboot of your device.

Activate Keyboard Lock With One Key

In the last issue, we shared a simple, two-button shortcut to lock the keyboard on your BlackBerry. Since then, we’ve discovered an even simpler method, using only one key. It requires alteration of a few settings, but once finished, it works like a charm. From the Home Screen, press the K key on your keypad. If the cursor does not leap to an icon, you’re in business. (This shortcut will not work if there is an application which has K as a shortcut key.) Go to the Telephone Application.

From the main screen, select Options from the menu. Select General Options. Now, set Dial From Home Screen to No. From this point forward, pressing K will lock your keyboard.
    Smartcodes make inputting certain types of information, like dates, times, and software version, much easier.
    Use SmartCodes

Did you know that there are codes you can use to simplify communication of things like the current time or your BlackBerry’s software version? You can use them in any text input field (email messages or SMS [Short Message Service], for example), and they really come in handy, especially when communicating with your Enterprise Network administrator. Simply type the following codes where you would like the corresponding information to be displayed:

• Myver
    : Inserts the software version of your BlackBerry
    • Mypin: Returns the PIN number of your handheld
    • Mysig: Shows the owner information on this device
    • LD: Inserts the local date
    • LT: Inserts the local time
    Get All Status Updates On One Screen

There are times where you just need to see every ounce of information about your BlackBerry all at once. Thankfully, there is a screen on your BlackBerry that will update you on everything going on with it at any given time. It’s called the Help Me! screen and it lists the firmware version, application version, PIN, IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity), uptime, signal strength, battery level, amount of free space, and total number of files on your BlackBerry at the present moment. To access this screen, hold down ALT-CAP at the same time and then press the letter H key.

Dial 1-800-NICE-TIP

Here’s a handy little trick you can use when you need to dial a phone number which has letters in it (1-800-GO-FEDEX, for example). Instead of trying to figure out which letters are associated with each number on the dialpad, just dial the letters where they appear in the number by pressing the ALT key and typing the letters out. The letters will appear in the number field, and once you place the call, they will automatically be converted into their numerical equivalent.

Confirm Delivery Of Your Sent Email Messages

Have you ever sent a message to someone’s BlackBerry and later wondered if the user ever received it? Well, with this tip, you’ll be notified the second the message reaches your recipient’s inbox.

To receive delivery confirmation, type <confirm> in the subject line of your outgoing message, like so:

Subject: <confirm> Meeting This Thursday

Or

Subject: Follow-up on FDTS Conference <confirm>

Once the message is delivered to your chosen receiver’s BlackBerry, you will receive a confirmation message that looks like this:

Follow-up on FDTS Conference: has been delivered to the recipient’s BlackBerry Handheld
    To ensure your SMS text messages are delivered to the recipient’s handset, set Delivery Reports to ON.

Confirm Delivery Of Your SMS Messages

Just like confirming delivery of your email messages, sometimes you need to know the second your SMS text messages are delivered to a recipient. To make sure you’re kept up-to-date on the status of your messages, select Options from the Home Screen. Select SMS. Scroll down to Delivery Reports and set it to YES. From this point forward, whenever an SMS is delivered to a recipient’s handheld device (not necessarily a BlackBerry; this will work with any SMS-capable device), you will see a small “d” next to the message in your history.

It is worth noting that certain providers, especially internationally, do not have mutual standards and/or agreements on SMS delivery. For this reason, you may not see delivery confirmation on SMS messages (and, in some cases, may not be able to send SMS to that user at all).

More Than One Email Address Per Contact

You don’t have to revert to Outlook or Desktop Manager to store more than one email address for a contact. You can do it from the handheld itself. To add a second or third email address for a contact, go to Address Book from the Home Screen. Select a contact to update. Click the wheel and select Edit. Click the wheel and select Add Email Address. Input the alternate email address for your contact, click the wheel, and save the entry. The next time you send a message to this contact, you will be presented with the available addresses.

Gina no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Blackberry tips and tricks (added weekly)

are these still weekly? or the database section took over that?

noejeff0 no está en línea Stack level 1

I use the 'AutoText' to write entire 'canned' e-mails. I then associate the 'canned' e-mail/text to an easily remembered acronym (ex: CIG = Consumer Internet Group).

It saves my 'thumbs'

Just2fitz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23C478C1

Thanks; but weekly?

blueberry no está en línea Stack level 1

~~~Posted via Blackberry @ wap.pinstack.com~~~

Check www.pinstack.com/blackberryfaq I think that's what khyle is refering to.

bachirDrar no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: BlackBerry Tips

Hi
    I have a Black Berry 7100t.
    How I can have my Mobile phone number ?
    Thanks

andrebsd no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F09FB

Re: BlackBerry Tips

Quote Originally Posted by bachirDrar
    Hi
    I have a Black Berry 7100t.
    How I can have my Mobile phone number ?
    Thanks
    I don't really know as to why you would not know your own phone number, unless you found or stole the unit, lol.

Anyway, go to options (looks like a wrench on the home screen), then sim card. It'll list the number.
    PIN: 240F09FB - Feel free to msg anytime.

nremtb no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    203c2d33

so where are the new weekly tips and tricks located now??

tmag2005 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    250d3c8f

Re: Guide to: Blackberry tips and tricks 2

Sorry for the noob post. Since updating the 7230 to OS4.0, i have lost the function to have a shortcut to functions: eg:

Homescreen --> Messages - If i press M nothing happens...Can i reactivate these?

There used to be loads

tmag2005 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    250d3c8f

Ignore me

Sorted now..

I am such a Plank!

ebell no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    40128d89

7100i - to get version information and pin number, hold ALT key and type RACE

To lock your device hold down the * key for a second or two.

thanhtinh Guest

This not work on my BB7290:

o (*) On the Home screen, press and hold ALT and type DBON to change the display of consecutive bars for signal strength and battery power to numeric values. Press and hold ALT and type DBOF to change them back.
    o (*) Press ALT-CAP-B to show the "Device Status" screen. Roll and click the trackwheel on one of the status items to see details for that item.
    o (*) Press ALT-CAP-S to see a list of running tasks. Roll and click the trackwheel on one of the tasks to switch to that task.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast