Do you think it will include "this feature is only available in Vista, please upgrade". ... IT & Business Pros forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Windows XP SP3 Pegged For Release On April 21

Advertisement

Do you think it will include "this feature is only available in Vista, please upgrade".

The third and last major update for Microsoft's Windows XP operating system will be made available to system builders and business customers next week and to all XP users in late April, according to a widely read tech blog that in the past has accurately predicted release dates for Microsoft products.

Bloggers at Neowin.Net on Tuesday said that Windows XP, Service Pack 3, will be released to original equipment manufacturers and to Microsoft's MSDN and TechNet subscribers on April 21st. XP SP3 will be generally released to Windows XP users through Microsoft's online Windows Update service on April 29, the blog said.

Neowin said it obtained the dates from an internal Microsoft schedule. Microsoft officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

[Read More]

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I think I'll wait to download this for the feedback on it. The several new features that are "taken from VISTA" leave me a little cold.

Can anyone tell me the procedure for getting an install copy of the Windows XP that is licensed with my laptop? Disks haven't been included for years and I'd like to have a disk copy of it for possible future use? I've been to Windows and the Sony VAIO (in my case) sites and cannot find any way to do it.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

jtrent1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    I think I'll wait to download this for the feedback on it. The several new features that are "taken from VISTA" leave me a little cold.

Can anyone tell me the procedure for getting an install copy of the Windows XP that is licensed with my laptop? Disks haven't been included for years and I'd like to have a disk copy of it for possible future use? I've been to Windows and the Sony VAIO (in my case) sites and cannot find any way to do it.
    Technically (and legally speaking), you're supposed to contact the manufacturer for a recovery disc. Some OEMs are including a recovery partition that includes all the necessary files.

With that said, any OEM copy of XP should work with the license key found on your COA. See if any of your friends or colleagues have a cd from Dell or another vendor lying around. It should work just fine, even though Dell was notorious for BIOS-coding their Win2k discs...they've seemingly stopped this with the XP SP2 discs.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrent1 View Post
    Technically (and legally speaking), you're supposed to contact the manufacturer for a recovery disc. Some OEMs are including a recovery partition that includes all the necessary files.

With that said, any OEM copy of XP should work with the license key found on your COA. See if any of your friends or colleagues have a cd from Dell or another vendor lying around. It should work just fine, even though Dell was notorious for BIOS-coding their Win2k discs...they've seemingly stopped this with the XP SP2 discs.
    I hope I didn't mislead - I absolutely want a legal copy, the one that is licensed and running on my laptop.

I do have recovery discs - maybe those will work on any machine(?) I've just used them on my laptop (had to restore from scratch ) Maybe I already have what I need in the recovery set.

Anyway, I spent most of my time trying to go thru Sony (VAIO) support references for an install set to get from them and found nothing.

I think I've actually found another possibility at Microsoft.com (except it says for "Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install") - I hope it doesn't really mean floppy! It downloads a program that creates the disks from my p-c so I know that it's legal. I'll see what that is and go from there.

For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com