This post is inspired by a client at our dealership today: Client: I want to ... IT & Business Pros forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Window Etching On New Vehicles-A Quick Note

Advertisement

This post is inspired by a client at our dealership today:

Client: I want to get the window etching done on my car.

Salesman: I don't really recommend it.

Client: Why? It's extra security.

Okay, this is just a quick note for any of you who go and purchase a new vehicle and you are offered window etching.

First off, for those of you who don't know what it is, its an acid that is etched into the windows of your vehicle with an identification number. What it will be presented to you as is extra security if your vehicle is ever stolen, but in all honesty, all it is is a way for dealers to make more profit, plain and simple, and this is coming from someone who is in the business.

If someone steals your car, what good is window etching going to do? None what so ever, unless you want your windows back.

Most vehicles are stolen for the pure enjoyment of joyriding. This means that your vehicle is probably going to wind up getting wrecked or burned up somewhere. So what good did the window etching do? None.

Some vehicles are stolen and taken to chop shops, meaning they are dismantled for parts. What good will window etching do here? None. Unless you want to get your windows back after they have been taken apart from a car and thrown out.

Other vehicles are shipped overseas, which is a rarity in todays world, however still happens. What good would window etching do in this case? Again, none what so ever.

VIN numbers are not only located on the front dash near the windsheild, contrary to belief. Vin numbers are located inside door jams, trunk lids, engine compartments and other places that I will not reveal because of possible security issues.

Bottom line, don't let a dealer try and upsell you on "window etching" by stating that it is an extra security upgrade. It's not. It's a simple way for profit for the dealer. Again, this is coming from someone in the business.

JadedBerry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    203B4165

Re: Window Etching On New Vehicles-A Quick Note

I've never understood this feature anyway, and this is great to know, but i'm curious about one thing, if it's not really an extra security feature, how come so many insurance companies offer discounts if your VIN is etched on your windows? Any thoughts?
    One out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Because the insurance companies want to recover any part of a vehicle no matter what so they can turn around and resell it.

It's all about the money. If the insurance company can recover a window, they will sell it. If they can recover anything, they will sell it.

Kind of like when the insurance company "totals" out a vehicle that really isn't totalled. Why do they do it? So they can give you a payoff that is going to be significantly less than what the car is actually worth, but they turn around and sell it to a salvage dealer for what they paid if off to you for. Meanwhile, you are hooked still for a few thousand dollars to the loan company.

If an insurance company can find a seat from a vehicle, they want it. The more they find, the more they can sell. All it is is a ploy.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by JadedBerry
    your VIN is etched on your windows? Any thoughts?
    Also, 90% of the time it's not going to be the VIN number that etched. Its going to be another identification number. Usually its a third party company that does the etching. They give it an ID number, like a PIN number, then register it into a database. They will also etch in an 800 number to the glass.

I actually know of one insurance company who actually owns the company that does the etching at a few car dealerships, so in all honesty, they aren't losing any money period.

fiz_x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21a311e6

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~little known fact but this acid is also used by taggers to tag on building and car windows. This is dangerous in that the 'artist' usually doesn't take the time to clean the acid up and it is left for the property owner to find, touch and inhale. Its been a problem in honolulu for a little over a year as far as I know, and probably many other cities too! Watch out!

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB

VIN numbers are not only located on the front dash near the windsheild, contrary to belief. Vin numbers are located inside door jams, trunk lids, engine compartments and other places that I will not reveal because of possible security issues.
    This seems like the best reason window etching is pointless. There is already a government-registered serial number on so many parts of the car. Why would you need another identification number registered in a smaller database of a private company? Good post.

LaZyBoYx15 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30481A4C

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    Also, 90% of the time it's not going to be the VIN number that etched. Its going to be another identification number. Usually its a third party company that does the etching. They give it an ID number, like a PIN number, then register it into a database. They will also etch in an 800 number to the glass.

I actually know of one insurance company who actually owns the company that does the etching at a few car dealerships, so in all honesty, they aren't losing any money period.
    Just because they aren't losing money doesn't mean the service is useful or effective. There are many things that make money but are pointless and useless. How about back in the days when people were buying pet rocks? The inventor became rich from selling stupid rocks, so does that make a rock a good pet?
    Love my first BlackBerry (Pearl)!
    PiN 204B103B