View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
22. Register free to vote on this poll
  • compliment

9 40.91%
  • insult

13 59.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My supervisor told me today that I operate the bulldozer like a "white man." Do ... IT & Business Pros forum

deezndc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3034d119

Smile What do you think?

Advertisement

My supervisor told me today that I operate the bulldozer like a "white man." Do you think that was a compliment or an insult? I think this will cause a stir, but I also think we can handle it!
    "A censor is a man who knows more than he thinks you ought to."

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
    - Bernard Bailey

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: What do you think?

I voted for compliment as I don't know what tone of voice he used when he said it. If he sounded like he thought you did a good job, then it's a compliment. If not, it's an insult.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

umm...not to start anything but what race are you? u can just pin me the answer as to not start a storm...

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I as a white man with an african american wife, would say that was an insult. Its as if he is saying noone but a whiteman can do a decent job. Either way you look at it I see it as a deragitory racist remark.
    Just throwing my stone in the water.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~sorry about the spelling.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Ok, I hope I don't get banned or anything for saying this, but it IS in Crackberry Cafe...

I could see where it could come across either way depending on how he said it.

I mean, it would be like someone saying "You worked like a mexican today". Well what would that translate into? You worked your butt off and got a lot more accomplished in the day that what or normal person would, or would it be saying that that person believed you were lazy that day?

Its all in the context of how someone says something.

Driving a bulldozer like a white guy? What does that mean? You drove it lazy today? Or that white guy are the only people who can drive bulldozers correctly? I dunno...

Either way, it all depends on the form in which it was said. Funny thing is we were actually talking today at work at how something said by someone can be percieved one way by one person and another way by another person...

All said and done, I am voting neutral unless I knew the context in which it was said...

Just my opinion...

PIN/ID
    3034d119

First off, I'm black....with a white fiance'. I think it was derogatory either way you look at it. If he said it in a negative tone I take it that he thinks the "white man" sets the bar in my field. On the other hand if said with good intent, he still has a racist subconscious, because it stills conveys the same ideal.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

vyperz no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    240F667B

Wow, this is a touchy subject. How was his tone of voice and what was his face expression?
    Does he always say stuff like that to others? It all depends, but in my opinion, it can be an insult. hmmm.. that's my two cents.
    vipz o';'o

Pinstack.com ~ where Blackberry Professionals Connect!
    Get your Pinstack Gear here!~

anthony no está en línea Stack level 3

Bearing in mind the vagaries of the English language could this also be a matter of context and perception?

A compliment would be that you drove that piece of MHE very well and not with any reference to a particular ethnic group.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I agree with you on this deezndc. Either way you look at it, it comes out racist and wrong. I don't think it matters how it was said. The fact of the matter is it should not have been said at ALL.
    If I caught one of my Foremans or Managers, or another employee, saying something like that, they would be fired on the spot!

bruiser_04 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243FCD27

You know I really hope that someday people will be able to get past the color of skin...We all bleed the same color!!! Insult!!!

ENY428 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Yes insult. How does a black person drive a bulldozer?

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Lets take a minute and replace the words "white man" with "girl", "old fart" or "baby". Those can sometimes be perceived as funny, I say sometimes as to not offend any pinstackers that may fall into those categories. Fact of the matter is the supervisor should not use race to insult or compliment an employee. I vote for INSULT.

PIN/ID
    3034d119

I'm still amazed at his ability to think he was giving me a compliment!
    "A censor is a man who knows more than he thinks you ought to."

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
    - Bernard Bailey

bruiser_04 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243FCD27

deezndc,
    Did you report him to a higher up at work for what he said?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast