Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone seen this TextPayMe service? It's essentially a Paypal like service that uses SMS instead ... IT & Business Pros forum

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Text Pay Me

Advertisement

Anyone seen this TextPayMe service? It's essentially a Paypal like service that uses SMS instead of email. You just send commands like: "pay xxx-xxx-xxxx 5" and that will send 5 bucks to that user. Like they say on the site, 'no more IOUs'.

It's still in Beta, so sending and receiving money is still free. I think it's the greatest thing since SMS itself. Most of the people I know think it's dumb. I thought you guys would appreciate it. What do you guys think?

Warning, shameless plug: here's my link, if you want to be refered by me.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Text Pay Me

This sounds like a good idea. Now if only PayPal could come up with something similiar then it would be even BETTER!!!

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Quote Originally Posted by dasupaman23
    This sounds like a good idea. Now if only PayPal could come up with something similiar then it would be even BETTER!!!
    That what I was thinking. That's sorta the premise of this, cause Paypal doesn't have mobile phone service. It's only a matter of time before they jump on the bandwagon.

The only bad thing is that the person you pay has to sign up for this. If it could just integrate with PayPal more people would use it. I wish Google made a service like PayPal. I'm sure they would have this feature

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Quote Originally Posted by dasupaman23
    The only bad thing is that the person you pay has to sign up for this. If it could just integrate with PayPal more people would use it. I wish Google made a service like PayPal. I'm sure they would have this feature
    I've heard rumors of Google rolling out something like Paypal. We'll see.

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Cool idea. I've been "wiring" funds to my friend for a while by using the web interface on BB to login to my bank account and then transferring funds to him. But then again, we use the same bank.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

How secure is this? anyone know?
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Quote Originally Posted by melissaox
    How secure is this? anyone know?
    Well the entire website is in SSL. And they say even their employees can't access the encrypted account information. As far as the SMS portion, all you're doing is messaging commands to their servers. And even if there's some way for someone to get ahold of your phone, or spoof an SMS to look like it was you, it still requires a user-created PIN to be entered before the money is sent.

I trust it. As much as I trust any other online transaction, and I use my card online all the time.

Actually, if you think about it this way, when you shop online, you're actually transmitting your card information (hopefully encrypted). With this service all you're transmitting (and all that could be intercepted) is a command. All the real activity goes on "in house" so to speak, on their server.

Using a credit card is the best way to go... 'Cause you are protected by the CC company AND whichever company is using the CC.

I use my card left and right on the internet. Something about this idea just makes me wonder.... I mean if someone gets your sms meant for them, they have your info and your pin and can start sending your money.. right?
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I use my card left and right on the internet. Something about this idea just makes me wonder.... I mean if someone gets your sms meant for them, they have your info and your pin and can start sending your money.. right?
    To answer the previous question, you can use a credit card as funds backup (sorta like paypal), so you always have the CC company backing you up for unauthorized purchases.

And to Melissa, I actually tried this. Sent an SMS to the service saying "pay $1 ###friends###". It sent him a msg telling him how to claim it. And not 30 seconds later, I got an actual phone call from the service where I had to enter my 4 digit passcode for the payment to authorize. Cool as hell, I think.

Phone call would be a problem for me. I spend my work days where I can not recieve calls.
    My Blog , My Flickr

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Phone call would be a problem for me. I spend my work days where I can not recieve calls.
    They only call you if you text someone money.

I know, but it kind of defeats the purpose for me. I understand it makes it much more secure. But I work in a call center... spent many years on the phone and I try to avoid any phones calls I can I know I am wierd. But its how I ended up with a BB. I need the messaging and internet.
    My Blog , My Flickr

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I know, but it kind of defeats the purpose for me. I understand it makes it much more secure. But I work in a call center... spent many years on the phone and I try to avoid any phones calls I can I know I am wierd. But its how I ended up with a BB. I need the messaging and internet.
    Hehe. I'm the same way. I'll use BBmsg or email even when a phone call would get the job done 10x quicker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast