I got this email from my corporate IT today. Just thought you all should be ... IT & Business Pros forum

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

Possible Worm

Advertisement

I got this email from my corporate IT today. Just thought you all should be cautious and make sure your PC firewalls and antivirus programs are up to date. There was an announcement from the dept of Homeland Security. All of our remote laptop users need to go into our respective branches nationwide and install this new patch, as our network access has been disabled until completed.
    "The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is warning that a Windows vulnerability addressed in Microsoft's Patch Tuesday announcement for August may put the nation's critical infrastructure at risk. The patch Microsoft issued for the flaw this week should be implemented immediately.

The flaw was announced this week along with the patch. History shows that within 48 hours of a critical patch release concept viruses and worms are released to the world. We are taking this threat seriously. "
    The Stacks Rock.....

Just signed up to Pinstack? Please visit the following:
    Forum Policies ~ Posting Guidelines ~ BB FAQ ~ Downloads

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

Re: Possible Worm

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Thanks for the info on this. Just one question, where and how do we get this patch?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Thanks Todd for the information. This has been reported in the Tech news for the past couple of days. MS is reporting a Worm in the wild that exploits this hole. According to an article on CNET New.com this specific worm only affects Windows 2000 and Windows XP service Pack 1.

Be careful and be sure your patches are up to date.
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Quote Originally Posted by johnj41
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Thanks for the info on this. Just one question, where and how do we get this patch?
    Go to the the Microsoft website and find the link to Windows Updates. In the article I linked to it has the specific bulletin for this update. Basically the flaw has to do with the File and Printer sharing components of windows

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Thanks Rcb for expanding my note. PC is certainly not my forte, but I wanted to make people aware, and you jumped in and solved it for many stackers! Kudos to you!!

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

But you were the one that thought enough to warn everyond. Being the Geeky Guy I am, I read all the tech news, and get all the warnings, but sometimes I forget that not everyone does the same. Having read so many reports on this in the last few days, both at work and on the Net, I just assumed (I know) that it was wide spread news and everyone knew about it. I guess I need to step back and remember, not everyone follows the Tech news like I do.

Thanks Again
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer