Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The MacBook Pro is like the Swiss Army knife of laptops. It's worth the price ... IT & Business Pros forum

justelise no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    203C9815

Re: New Notebook PC (And Other Purchases) Needed

Advertisement

The MacBook Pro is like the Swiss Army knife of laptops. It's worth the price hands down because you can dual boot OS X with Windows XP or Vista (when it becomes stable -- HA!). There is also an upcoming software from Codeweavers called Crossover Mac which will allow you to run Windows apps in OS X without emulating Windows. This means you will inevitably be able to run Outlook 2003/2007 and possibly the Blackberry Desktop Software.

There is of course PocketMac as a sync solution too.

As far as transferring your data from one PC to the other is concerned, you can use a USB drive (which is also handy to have around) but if you have a router in your home, just use filesharing. Share the folder with the songs in it on the old PC, and copy them over the network to the Mac. If the old PC has a DVD burner you should be able to fit those songs onto one DVD as an alternative -- and you also have an instant backup of them.
    justelise
    http://itsreallyjustme.net
    Drop by my blog and say hi!
    If you need Gmail, lemme know!

dwella no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2038FB36

I just picked up the new Dell XPS M1210 and love it.............check it out if your looking for an outstanding puter not cheap though...

d

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

I have a DELL XPS M140 and I love it. Try the M170 for the DUO CORE drive. That should suit your needs pretty well. Also, if you have an iPod already, just turn it into a HDD, store your music to it, then transfer it to your new computer!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by justelise
    The MacBook Pro is like the Swiss Army knife of laptops. It's worth the price hands down because you can dual boot OS X with Windows XP or Vista (when it becomes stable -- HA!). There is also an upcoming software from Codeweavers called Crossover Mac which will allow you to run Windows apps in OS X without emulating Windows. This means you will inevitably be able to run Outlook 2003/2007 and possibly the Blackberry Desktop Software.

There is of course PocketMac as a sync solution too.

As far as transferring your data from one PC to the other is concerned, you can use a USB drive (which is also handy to have around) but if you have a router in your home, just use filesharing. Share the folder with the songs in it on the old PC, and copy them over the network to the Mac. If the old PC has a DVD burner you should be able to fit those songs onto one DVD as an alternative -- and you also have an instant backup of them.
    Not getting a Mac after all. I'm getting a Toshiba Satellite. Much more affordable and I'm getting a student discount and Microsoft Office Student/Teacher Edition.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 08-28-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Garrison no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23DA5687

You know since your in school you get a discount on apple products!
    Have you seen my stapler?

Yes I know that.

e1nstein no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    300D945C

Any PC that runs Windows XP is Vista ready. Just make sure that minimally you have 512MB of RAM (memory) and 80GB hard drive or better. Also NVidia Graphics cards are really good so Iw ould try a laptop that came with an NVidia, but the price of the laptop will go up. I recommend a Toshiba or HP they are good laptops and fairly priced. Check out the sales at Best Buy on Sundays, every few weekends they will have a really good sale but you have to be at the store before they open cause they only have like 3 laptops on sale. But seriously stay away from Windows get a Mac Book or Mac Book Pro, you won't regret it. They are the best and sweetest computers, work wonderful. And like mentioned above you can run Windows on a Mac within the Mac operating system, dual booting or what ever other way. So you would still be able to play your sims games.

As for transferring files a jump drive, burn the music to CD or DVD or if you can borrow a friends external drive or iPod or jump drive or get your own.

Good luck, let me know if you want more help

I was at Best Buy when I saw the one I liked. The total price for the entire package will be around $1000, including student discounts. I have an mp3 player if I can find it LOL If I was buying this myself I would have gone for the Mac, but since I'm getting it for my birthday, I wasn't able to spend that much.

justelise no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    203C9815

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    Not getting a Mac after all. I'm getting a Toshiba Satellite. Much more affordable and I'm getting a student discount and Microsoft Office Student/Teacher Edition.
    There are people running OS X on Toshiba laptops out there already. Google it!
    justelise
    http://itsreallyjustme.net
    Drop by my blog and say hi!
    If you need Gmail, lemme know!

I searched that and got a lot of links to Apple or Toshiba. None of them say that. You've got me confused now

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Picked up the pc yesterday and had the store install antivirus software. Went to register either Office 2003 or the pc itself (I don't remember which one) and found out I can get a free mouse from them. By the way, this thing is as big as one of the Dell Desktop Replacement notebooks LOL. Much bigger than my dads pc.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Forgot to mention the idiot salesperson we had to deal with at the first store (went to 3 Best Buy stores yesterday before finding a store that had the exact pc I wanted). We get there and he tells us that the only one in stock is the demo pc. Doesn't even bother to call another store to see if they had one. Told us it would be here Tuesday night and to pick it up Wednesday morning. 2 stores later I had my pc and the salesperson there was not happy when we told him what happened.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Oops, make that 2 Best Buy stores and 1 Circuit City. I wasn't about to wait any longer and actually suggested to my mom to keep looking for it. I'm happy I did.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ oh and the idiot almost had us reserve the pc before I changed my mind LOL

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Erica, Glad to hear you got your new Laptop. Good luck with it.

Richard.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast