Im gonna be in the market for a new laptop. Since I don't know a ... IT & Business Pros forum

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

Need a Laptop

Advertisement

Im gonna be in the market for a new laptop. Since I don't know a lot about them, I was hopeing for some help from you good people.
    I would like a nice big screen, burn both CD's and DVD's. As well as play DVD's. And I would like it to have a wireless modem so I can make use of Tmo's new wifi hotspots.
    Any feedback you guys could give me would be great. I would like to maybe purchase in the next month or so.
    Please don't turn this thread into a spam post.
    Thanks

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: Need a Laptop

Not Spamming, but I know someone who has Dell laptops for a very reasonable price. They are less than 1 year old. He is an IT director for a local company. Prices start at $325 I believe, but can build it to any specs that you want. Let me know if you want his PIN (He actually has a blackberry! WOO!)

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~do you happen to know what models they are? Or does he just have an assortment? I've been looking at the Toshibas. Those look mighty sweet!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Latitudes...Not sure of the model number off the top of my head. I picked one up cause I had a Fujitsu and I was needed something more up to date without spending a fortune. I would really like to have a Gateway Tablet PC, but don't want to spend the money right now. Spending too much to feed my BB addiction.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I hear ya lol!
    I don't think the tablet pc is an option for me. Im gonna want to burn music and movies.
    But since I've never heard of it, im gonna google it.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Hey N8, could you delete this thread? I have found my laptop. Its the Gateway M275XL tablet pc. I need to do a little more checking, but im pretty sure that's the one.

Papa Smurff no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23eaa903

One recommendation I can make to you about your new laptop is the following:

Make sure its dual core (or core dual...varies from brand to brand)

Why you may ask? That is what the "standard" for the industry is actually going too. So any PC based computer you are going to want to spend the little extra and go with such a device. Also make sure that you get a pc that will be able to support the new upcomming Windows Vista, I believe you have a 60 day window to submit a request for a free upgrade to that operating system when it becomes available.

Note though there is nothing wrong with Windows XP, and from what I have read as of now Windows Vista will utilize your battery life faster.

One last thing....you can purchase custom laptops from authorised Intel retailers. Advantage about that is other than choosing what goes into the machine your local service center will have all the parts available just in case if anything breaks, or fails. Then you dont have to worry about a lang period of time to be without your cpu.

But thats my two cents, good luck shopping.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Thanks Papa Smurff. I welcome the advice and will use it.

wlriv no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23d52ef9

i have a dell inspiron 6000 that meets all your requirements, and love it.

n8dbb - can you get me your guys PIN? im in the market for a couple cheap laptops.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Thanks wlriv. I'll google that bad boy when I get off work.