Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by TorturedNacho Yes im positive. He was lieing to you if he told ... IT & Business Pros forum

gdbjr no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30D5C261

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by TorturedNacho View Post
    Yes im positive. He was lieing to you if he told you that .
    the first fail is 30days wait.
    then 90days then 1 year.
    and to get CCNA is 4 tests. not 1,
    for me to get my CCDA was 7
    I was the one that kept failing the test. One week was the wait time between failures. Also then (18 months ago) you could either get your CCNA with one test or you could split them up into 2. And it looks like it still is. You can take the 640-802 CCNA or Take 640-822 ICND1 and 640-816 ICND2. I think you can save $50 if you take the single test ($150 vs $200) and after a lot of searching as it wasn't easy to find. "Candidates who fail an exam must wait a period of 5 calendar days"

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Its like taking the Back streets on the Diploma,
    Diploma Or GED
    Maybe its different for levels of the test.
    who knows, Doesn't really matter. i will wouldnt believe that you can take the failure 3 times in a month.
    I know for a FACT that i had to wait 30 days for my 3rd test.
    And 1 of the interns in my class a couple years ago had to score a 875 on the ball to the wall.

PIN/ID
    30D5C261
    They probably changed it when they reduced the number of tests to get a CCNA. They best thing to do is put in the time and study for the test (which I didn't do for reasons that aren't important here) and then you don't have to worry about a retest

What's funny is "Once passed, a candidate must wait a minimum of 180 days before taking the same exam with an identical exam number."

I guess they are trying to keep folks from taking tests and memorizing the questions for places like testking.com

rhyno1979 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    246584ec

Go for broke and get both.

If work is going to pick up the tab for the CCNA go for it. But dont just get the CCNA and forget the MCSE.

Knowing the ins and outs of the Microsoft world will help you to be a better Network admin as you will better understand what kind of data is traveling the infrastructure you are providing. Knowing the different ports and protocols different microsoft applications utilize.

On the same token, you can better administer the "Systems" side if you fully understand how the infrastructure is setup and administered.

In my case, I do Network/Systems/Security/VoIP for the company I work for (small IT department with everyone wearing alot of hats) so the having experience in all these areas and being certified in different technologies benefits me alot more than going with one or the other. Ya its alot more work to get multiple vendor certs but it will make you a better administrator and can only improve your career.

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I just ran across this thread and thought I'd give an update, just for the heck of it.

I decided to go for the Cisco cert. as I've been working with microsoft products for some time and have a good base knowledge; and other than knowing how to connect into a switch, I had almost zero knowledge in the router/switch end of networking. Plus I'd already purchased the MCSE books on my own, so figured work might as well spring for Cisco.

I'm happy to say I passed all the tests and got my CCNA/CCDA certs. To add input to the discussion above, it took 2 tests for the CCNA and 1 test for the CCDA. People who failed a test could retake after 6 days, and you had to make between 825 and 850 (depending on the test) to pass.

Now I want to work on the MCSE and after that start studying for the CCNP... got the next few years mapped out.

Melanin85 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I just graduation college with a BS in Computer Science and I have NO experience, What Certification boot camp would be the best route?
    3 Certification Cisco CCENT/CCNA/CCDA or

3 Certification MCSA Windows 2003 -MCP, MCSA, and Comptia Security +.

Please help me decide? I love both sides of the field but I want to be prepared for the future also, the more I read, it seem that CISCO cert is the way to go. I have no experience. I don't know if it's the economy or no cert's or no experience but I can't find a job ANYWHERE!

PIN/ID
    30D5C261
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanin85 View Post
    I just graduation college with a BS in Computer Science and I have NO experience, What Certification boot camp would be the best route?
    3 Certification Cisco CCENT/CCNA/CCDA or

3 Certification MCSA Windows 2003 -MCP, MCSA, and Comptia Security +.

Please help me decide? I love both sides of the field but I want to be prepared for the future also, the more I read, it seem that CISCO cert is the way to go. I have no experience. I don't know if it's the economy or no cert's or no experience but I can't find a job ANYWHERE!
    I can't tell you what certs to get as it depends on what you want to do with your career. Cisco and Miscrosoft paths are different and in larger companies are completely separate. (smaller companies they could be the same person/group) I can tell you that experience means a whole lot more then any certification you can get. And don't expect to get your certification and think that you will suddenly be able to get a job. I have worked for a lot of different companies and my lack of certifications was never a issue. I have tons of cisco voice experience and that was all they cared about.

So with this crappy economy you will most likely have to start with a crappy lower level job to get experience and at the same time pick a career path, cisco or microsoft (or both) and get some certs. Then with the combined experience you get and your certs you will have a better chance of getting a better job.

I am sure that is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps.

skaji808 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hi,

I was searching google and came across this forum. A little background on myself. I switched careers cuz my last one tanked in the economy. I do have a non CS IS degree; GIS.

So I just completed my CompTIA A+ and Network+ certificates and am stuck wondering where to go. CCENT or MCSA? CCENT looks pretty similar to Network+ and seems easy enough, but I'm getting mixed responses. The entire MCSA => MCSE route is going to take 15~18 months... ouch. I need a job now and would not like to wait that long.

Now I'm considering getting an MCP, then take the CCENT, and then continue the MCSA process. Any advice?

catherinecnw no está en línea Stack level 1
    CCNA (Cisco cert) will give you a brief knowledge about network. Even if you study MCSA you should have CCNA knowledge to get started and make your job easier. You can get access to quality CCNA trainning materials at Presidential Training.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12