I'm looking to get into the IT field.. and I've heard that certifications are just ... IT & Business Pros forum

privax no está en línea Stack level 3

Looking for some advice/information on IT jobs...

Advertisement

I'm looking to get into the IT field.. and I've heard that certifications are just as important if not more important than having an actual four year degree.

But there are so many certifications out there from Microsoft, Cisco, etc and I personally do not know much about the specific job titles that go with these certifications...

I was hoping if somebody would be able to shed some light and help me maybe get pointed in the right direction.

What would be the job title for an individual who runs the companies BlackBerry or Exchange server -- I'm assuming that that wouldn't be their only responsibility but ...

Again if anyone can help me out.

Thanks.

charmed no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7A06F63C
    If you are looking to be a balckberry admin you can aways go to blackberry and do their certifications. If you are new to the I.T field you can always start with an A+ certification.

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    You are correct when you heard about certifications, but the 4 year degree will help you a ton later on when you want to move up into Management.

I have been in the IT world for almost 12 years, I started at the bottom and worked my way up to running the show....

What I would do is take the A+ certification, this will show your future employer that you can work within the computers internal enviroment as well as with the Hardware.

You can then get your Network + certifications....these are the basic certifications and will help you get your foot in the door.

From there you want to get your MCSE 2003 or MCSE 2008 certification. This will show/teach you how to run a Network and Active Directory as well as build servers.

Most people who have the MCSE certifications are those who run the Network....known as Administrators...or Network Admins.

If you want to run jsut Exchange then I suggest getting the above mention certifications and also your MCITP certification...

The Cisco certs are for Routing and Security aspects of the Network.

There are a ton of directions you can go....it all depends on what you want to do....if you want to run Exchange and the BES server I suggest your MCSE, MCITP, and the BES certifications.

I started off doing Desktop support 11 years ago and now I am running the entire network for Los Angeles County Counsel.....it's a very demanding job...

when askedI compare my job to a doctor.....meaning that I always have to keep on top of the techknowlogy and am on call 24/7 pretty much...you got to keep going to school and learning otherwise you get left behind

In my 11 years I have gotten the following certifications....and I am continuing to add more...otherwise I am goine

A+
    Net +
    Net Security
    Dell Certified
    Exchange 2003
    Exchange 2007
    HP Certified
    IBM Certified
    EMC Partner Cert
    MCSE 2000
    MCSE2003
    MCSA
    MCITP
    CCNA
    CCDA
    CCNP
    CCIE
    Cisco PIX firewall cert

Working on my MCSE2008 certification
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

privax no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thanks for the quick reply...

I'm just wondering how demanding are these certifications.. I'm sure one builds on another but..

As far as like A+ and Network those are classes I've been told that set the foundation.

Those classes should come easy as I've been around computers for around 12-14 years. I know internally how computers work as I've done jobs such as upgrading graphic cards, swapping out power supplies, adding RAM... I also am capable of running and modifying router settings and as far as the WM environment I'm very comfortable as well.

The reason I mentioned BlackBerry or Exchange support is mainly because I've been in the wireless industry for over two years and work on the technical side with AT&T Mobility so I know how these things work on the back end and I'm also very tech savy and find that most things that involve technology and computers come very easy to me..

Do you know anything or have heard anything about the University of Phoenix? I've thought about obtaining a four year degree in IT via their online college while I work full time.

I currently am about eight credits shy of an Associates degree but U of P is willing to accept all of my credits and put it towards a four year degree in IT or any other degree for that matter including Business Management.

I thought maybe by getting a four year degree in business management and then adding onto it with certifications in the IT field it would give me the benefit of both worlds... What do you think?

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    I would get a degree in Business Managment....that is where the big bucks are in IT....

U of P is very $$$

the MCSE and others certs are very demanding...not something you can study for a few days and pass...
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

furtive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7a47e9f3
    It really depends on your concentration. Certs matter, but to a point. But in most places, you start off at the bowels of support hell before you can move your way up.