Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

On June 30, Microsoft will do something quite ordinary -- the company will stop selling ... IT & Business Pros forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Killing XP: Microsoft's Fatal Error

Advertisement

On June 30, Microsoft will do something quite ordinary -- the company will stop selling a 7-year-old old product.

Microsoft has killed off many versions of Windows in the past. But there's a difference with the retirement of Windows XP: Most users hate its replacement, Windows Vista.

[Read More]

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    It's true. All I've heard about Vista is negative news.This has kept me from upgrading from XP.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Here's a link to an article about XP's supposed demise:
    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/62461.html
    Last edited by cgaliffi; 04-04-2008 at 07:42 PM.

data1025 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Our company has 21,000 PC's running Win XP.

Due to the hardware upgrades required to support Vista, our company cannot afford to upgrade for at least 3 years. Since support will end for XP in 2012 (security patches), we will be in a time crunch to upgrade to avoid an enterprise security incident.

Linux anyone?

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by data1025 View Post
    Our company has 21,000 PC's running Win XP.

Due to the hardware upgrades required to support Vista, our company cannot afford to upgrade for at least 3 years. Since support will end for XP in 2012 (security patches), we will be in a time crunch to upgrade to avoid an enterprise security incident.

Linux anyone?
    I'm just installing linux on a box today. Really want to move away from Windows server.

As per XP. It will be missed. Best of the worst as far as Microsoft goes so far.

For the most part, I am a Win XP fan too. I have Linux installed on an old PC that runs Trixbox 2.2 (VOIP) that I use with my N95.

Which flavor of Linux are you installing? I am using CentOS 4 and have played with Mint on a bootable CD.

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Typical Microsoft.....and I really like XP
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74
    Pretty stupid decision if you ask any of us. Just wonder how long it will take to start a revolt?!?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

thechadj no está en línea Stack level 4
    summed up in 1 word: Ridiculous. I hate that you cant buy anything now that is not vista. And the amount of memory that vista hogs is awful.

galvatron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240582a8
    vista work just fine forme but when push comes to shove an the majority switch to anoth os platfrm lik linux mainly ubuntu will rim follow suit?

forhypotical reasons lts say in 20 10 a hucge chunk of the busness a it sector goes to ubunto Would rim craft an interfaceand DTM for linux kernals an various distrols like UBUNTU ,fedaora ,as well as redhat? linux dstros are free for the most part an what busness wan't to buy a appl if it has incompatabilitssues a most of all what matters in the business worl is COST PROHIBITIVE.

also wether you ik it or not for thos who like or need to use adobe photoshop o the new ADOBE CS$ 64 bit programs will run on vista only
    http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl.../04/04/1247246
    Last edited by galvatron; 04-06-2008 at 01:22 PM.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I can't imagine a bigger pain for the consumer! As imperfect as XP is many users keep it to avoid the reputed deficiencies in Vista or go back to it once they have experienced them. The advent of Vista has kept me from buying a new laptop fo quite a while. This is going to be an expensive and time-consuming conversion for Windows-using companies regardless of the path that they choose. (This is also going to help Apple/Mac sales.)

MS is going to eventually try coral and force every p-c user to Vista without regard to their customers wishes and this is a big step towards that goal. I think trying Linux is a possible solution and I, like Hayden, am going to try it soon. I've wanted to do it for years and now I'm going to be forced into it. I want to be away from the MS hog Vista and all its new requirements, both software and hardware, before support for XP is gone.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

jblackfish,

I just recently bought a Dell Vostro 1500, and did not want Vista. I was able to purchase it with XP Pro.

kjs
    kjs no está en línea Stack level 1
    I imagine if there is enough corporate backlash, they will figure something out for enterprise customers - maybe extend EOL date/provide ways to lower the hardware requirements by stripping out the bloat (wishful thinking)? Sadly, I imagine they won't do much, if anything for consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by data1025 View Post
    jblackfish,

I just recently bought a Dell Vostro 1500, and did not want Vista. I was able to purchase it with XP Pro.
    Well, that's good to know. There aren't a lot of choices left as far as I know
    and those options are going to dry up as we move through time - that's the problem.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    This may just be my time to switch to Mac and get my Mac Book Air. Push comes to shove, I can always use my PC to do OS upgrades for my BB unless this capability comes to the Mac platform soon.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    This may just be my time to switch to Mac and get my Mac Book Air. Push comes to shove, I can always use my PC to do OS upgrades for my BB unless this capability comes to the Mac platform soon.
    ...or, a great opportunity to try Linux. I'm preparing (slowly and carefully) to give it a try. Don't know when I'll dedicate the time but it will come.

I also understand the the Air Mac (is that what it's called?) can run XP (and Vista if it ever becomes important) so that's another option if you're bent toward switching to Mac.

I guess the future will tell how all this plays out. Good luck to us consumers - we'll be the last to be considered except for forcing our $ out of us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast