IS there a VPN client out there for Blackberry devices? A few of our users ... IT & Business Pros forum

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5

Is there a VPN client for BB ?

Advertisement

IS there a VPN client out there for Blackberry devices?

A few of our users would like to use the device in that manner.....I told them WHY IT WOULD BE SLOW....but I need to research before I say NOPE THERE ISN"T
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'm pretty sure the 8320 has support for VPN access while using WiFi. Under WiFi diagnostics, there is a whole block of VPN status info.

VPN

Current Profile:
    Concentrator Address:
    Authentication:
    Secure Device IP:
    Resolving Concentrator:
    Concentrator IP:
    Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:
    DNS Suffix:
    Secure Subnet Mask:
    Retry at:
    Session Lifetime:
    Re-login at:
    Failed Login Attempts:
    Certificate:
    Software Token:

I don't know what sort of VPN support it has, but I imagine it is probably something pretty standard like IPSec over UDP.

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    That is about a useless as T*** on a Bull ..
    What could do you do on a VPN over BB ..
    Besides the fact that Secure VPN's drop connections after a single packetloss .... that makes no sence.

I've never heard of any secure VPNs that drop on a single packet loss, and that sounds like it would be a very serious design flaw. Packet loss will degrade performance of a VPN in a manner similar to the way it degrades performance in normal connections. Severe packet loss can definitely result in a network connection drop, but I'd like to see your source on the single packet loss connection drops.

Anyway, on the topic of the thread... I looked a bit more closely at the 8320. VPN profiles can be created under Options>Security>VPN. Here is a list of supported VPN concentrators:
    Alcatel 7130 Secure VPN Gateway Family
    Avaya VSU Series
    CheckPoint Software Technologies
    Cisco VPN Concentrator 3000 Series
    Cisco Secure PIX Firewall VPN
    Cisco IOS with Easy VPN Server
    Lucent Firewall Brick Family
    NetScreen Systems
    Nortel Networks Contivity VPN Switch Series
    Secure Computing Sidewinder Firewall
    Symantech Raptor Firewall and Power VPN

Set up looks pretty straightforward with all expected fields (concentrator IP, DNS/IP settings for the device, authentication/cryptography settings). If you have any one of these VPN concentrators, a user's device could be configured for one of them.

If your users don't have WiFi enabled devices, or if you don't have one of the above concentrators, you can safely tell your users that such an option isn't available.

PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    My source for single packet loss drop vpn ....me that's the secure design of a bank vpn connection. Vpn on a bb is....well we will leave it at that~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Instead of hand waving, can you name the bank, the VPN software, and protocol that it uses? I'm pretty curious who would design a VPN system like that, especially considering the nominal packet loss that happens over hardwired connections, and the availability of far better designed VPN systems.

I think there are several fields of work where having VPN access on a BlackBerry makes sense. The typical BES deployments that I have seen have firewalled the BES from the rest of the internal network -- read the DEF CON 14 paper on "blackjacking" for some pretty good reasons why that is done. In the event a user needs access to a more highly secured segment of an internal network, a VPN makes a lot of sense. It could be for reasons as simple as using RDP or VNC to access a malfunctioning server, to access an internal web application, or any number of other reasons.

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Lots of uses for VPN over wifi on a Berry TorturedNacho. (using Rove SSH to admin a server at work is one). Several times I've also used their file sharing app to snag a couple files from my desktop at work, save them on my media card, then bring them up in docs2go.
    There will be others...and it's quite reliable.

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    The only reason I asked of there were is because a few of the HIGHER UPS at work would like to access a secure Intranet site we have within our network.....This site isn't published to the WWW due to the nature of the site and the contents if it were to get into the wrong hands

VPN access would only be used to connect to the network...access the site and review the HTML data posted....
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yeah, but they don't need VPN if you have bes (the blackberry browser runs from the MDS that's build into BES) - your BES is already on your corporate network (don't need to go through additional firewalls or a dmz to get to your intranet site)

PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyth View Post
    Instead of hand waving, can you name the bank, the VPN software, and protocol that it uses? I'm pretty curious who would design a VPN system like that, especially considering the nominal packet loss that happens over hardwired connections, and the availability of far better designed VPN systems.
    Well I'm not going to Name the Bank and the best answers im willing to give about it is.
    Cisco is all that is used in this network.

anny123 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I found perfect vpn for blackberry provided by SuperVPN. I followed instructions they sent me and now everything works great.