Ran across this article on Yahoo! tech pages... Enjoy! How to Revive a Wet Cellphone ... IT & Business Pros forum

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

Post How To Revive A Wet Cellphone

Advertisement

Ran across this article on Yahoo! tech pages... Enjoy!

How to Revive a Wet Cellphone

Thu Nov 2, 2006 1:21PM EST

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/null/null-...Sr8f8CnwsByDH4

Sooner or later every cell phone goes in the drink. For some it may be the bathtub, for others a glass of scotch. For many, the toilet. (No need to explain.)

Hey, you spent hundreds of dollars on that handset, so it's understandable that you might decide to attempt to rescue it. But how?

The Cell Freak has all the collected wisdom on the topic, including some advice I'd never heard, like soaking the phone in 95% alcohol to dissolve all the water trapped inside. I've personally had good luck with low level heat for wet phones and laptops: A few hours on the lowest setting inside an oven (150 degrees or thereabouts) can dry out a gadget and make it good as new.

Regardless of which method you try, remember to remove the battery from any device you attempt to salvage. If this hasn't been made clear by now, batteries are deeply susceptible to damage from heat and foreign substances. They're also relatively easy to replace, so don't even try to save a battery if it's been compromised. However, batteries are by design well-sealed to prevent water or other materials from getting inside, so a quick wipe with a towel should be all you need to save a power cell.
    Remember that these methods are not foolproof, in fact they're far from it. Water and electronics just don't mix. My personal record on saving wet gadgets is about 50-50, but those are pretty good odds in my book, and with this advice, they're even better.

Here's some "reader" suggestions!!! :

1 I saved a phone after an ocean immersion by resoaking it in distilled water to displace the salt. It should displace the minerals in regular water also. I put it on the dash of the car for a few sunny (not hot)days and when the battery was put back in it worked fine. The alcohol purge is a good second step after the distilled water, just don't use the phone in a DUI checkpoint for a few days. LA
    2 A friend of mine who works at Sprint told me that body temperature would be the perfect temp to dry out my soggy phone. I tried it.... he was right Phone was usable again in under 4 hours! Recovery time may vary with amount of time spent in the drink....
    3 My daughter as a toddler put my cell phone into a bag along with her sprtie from her happy meal. I removed the Battery and took the out side casing of and used the blow drier on it (lowest setting of course) put it back together good as new.
    4 I've ran my pager through the washing machine numerous times, and have had good luck reviving it by removing the battery and leaving it in the sun on the dash of my truck during warm weather. Sort of a variation on the oven method, but less likely to result in your wife turning up the temp to cook dinner without checking what is in there first.......
    Last edited by Dirty Cash; 11-04-2006 at 10:52 PM.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: How To Revive A Wet Cellphone

HMM, I can pass this along to all my customers that come in mad at me cuz they wet their phone...

BCoop8184 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32B12DA7

I have actually had luck once or twice by using my so called "shoe-box" method. Whatcha do is you take the water logged device and "open it" up as much as possible. Take covers off, battery doors, batteries out, etc... Then place the device in a shoe box with a bunch of those little bags that come with shoes and clothes to stop mildew. Leave the device in there for like 24 hours and then see what happens. Its a 50/50 thing.

barrythebadger no está en línea Stack level 4

Following the recent "Summer" wet weather in the UK, both my 8100 and Nokia N73 ended up in a puddle. How p*ss*d was I????

I left them in the airing cupboard, backs off, batteries and SIMS out for about 2 days (had to use, ugh, 7100v, and nokia, ugh, 6230i) and when i put them back to gether they seem to be working fine!

I think low heat, and drying for a period of time does the trick!

gazar no está en línea Stack level 5

Its also important to rinse the device with distilled water to remove any residue that may cause a short in the future.

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I revived my Razr by pulling the battery and drying it on my furnace vent.

rabbie303 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider

I revived my Razr by pulling the battery and drying it on my furnace vent.

yeah my ex dropped my phone in coffee and I ripped the battery off in record breaking time, dried it off as much as possible and then sat it in front of a fan overnight.. other than a few sticky keys at first, it came right up and worked like a charm.
    ~Erich~
    ---60% of the time it works every time--

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

I've revived a few phones at work. Yes! The key is to get the battery out a fast as possible and dry the phone out completely. No peeking to see if it works for at least 24 hours.

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

thanks my brother has wet his sony ericson and its dead. well it happened at the beach, so you know there is salt, water and sand in the poor thing. it happened yesterday but until now whenever he tries to put the battery in, there's a blinking red light.
    it came back once but the keypad didnt work, u know when u pressed one key a whole line of characters was typed. that was a problem because he has password enabled his device. he doesnt trust me so much because i bricked his nokia 6630 a year ago when trying to upgrade os. so for now i'll just leave him to buy a new one.

hcheun no está en línea Stack level 2

LoL first thing i tell people and forwarn them, if you have a wet cell phone, DONT try to turn it on till it dry's off completely!

aswanideep no está en línea Stack level 4

I'd used hot hair dryer

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

This thread is going to give me nightmares.

C312 no está en línea Stack level 1

I wet my phone once (it wasn't completely submerged though). I used a hairdryer for about 5-10 mins on low heat. My phone was working again in under an hour.

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4
    the hairdryer trick worked for me, but i didnt insert the battery untill about the 2nd day and at least 1 or 2 hours of low heat air drying.