Well I work as tech support at the local high school here; and today one ... IT & Business Pros forum

andrebsd no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F09FB

How much should I charge?

Advertisement

Well I work as tech support at the local high school here; and today one of the teachers wanted me to call his friend since he needs to transfer some excel documents from his old computer to his new computer. I have to go down to his business and fix it there and (well i guess this is obvious) he's wondering how much i'd charge.

So the question is, what would you charge for transfering some files over? At work I just get paid by the hour, instead of "per call" basis. I know it can't really take that long, just plug my thumb drive in the old system, put the files on it and transfer it to the new box.

Geeksquad, according to their website, charges $229 to do file transfers on-site. Of course I think they are absolutely crazy with that price, lol.
    PIN: 240F09FB - Feel free to msg anytime.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: How much should I charge?

Charge $129 and show him the geek squad prices so he feels like he is getting a deal. In my company we charge $125 and hour with an hour minimum. Just go in with the additude that you are worth that $129 an hour. And also if you can do it before the hour is up, you can spend time getting updates for his OS or even making sure he has enough anti-virus protection (Check downloads.com if you needs some good freebies). This way he feels better about spending an hourly rate since you are putting an hour's worth of work into it.

vyperz no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    240F667B

Considerations... How many files are we talking about? If its just a small amount, maybe just $70? Just for your time and travel for one time visit.

But if its a big task, I'm talking like 1GB or 2GB's of files, then I would charge $80 to $120 per hour. But what are we fixing?

Older systems can be a pain in the you know what. If anything happens, I would hate to have that person come back at you again for other issues. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself in to, but if you're an advanced tech support, then you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by vyperz; 01-17-2006 at 08:38 PM.
    vipz o';'o

Pinstack.com ~ where Blackberry Professionals Connect!
    Get your Pinstack Gear here!~

vyperz no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    240F667B

Right on dasupaman23!~
    vipz o';'o

Pinstack.com ~ where Blackberry Professionals Connect!
    Get your Pinstack Gear here!~

Malfo no está en línea Stack level 3

Go with Sup. You'll make a good amount and you'll make the customer happy. If it makes you feel better throw in email support or something.

~~~Posted via Blackberry @ wap.pinstack.com~~~

andrebsd no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F09FB

Cool, Thanks for the replys. I'll go with around "dasupaman23"s price point; $100 an hour w/ an hour minimum seems very good (for me at least, since anything over like 20 an hour would get me more on the side than I do at work; I gotta seriously look into doing some tech support beside my work.)

I've basically been doing tech support all my life, it's kinda sad but it's just about the only thing I know real well. Though I guess it helps, I got my job without ever applying, lol.
    PIN: 240F09FB - Feel free to msg anytime.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Hey if you present yourself like you are the best, you can charge like you are the best too. Just have confidence in your work and believe in yourself. Other people will see that, and feel good about dishing out $100 per hour knowing that they are getting the best. Plus as long you take your time and give them an hours worth of work, how can they complain?

Malfo no está en línea Stack level 3

I hear ya andrebsd! I'd rather do service type calls any day of the week. Its just way too easy. Tech support calls are a good way to make supplemental income. My only problem is people trying to get at me during my 9-5. I'd rather do that than sit at my desk all day.

~~~Posted via Blackberry @ wap.pinstack.com~~~