I received a replacement Curve 8330 from work. The old one I can keep and ... IT & Business Pros forum

gmack123321 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Help.How to reset Phone deleting IT policy.

Advertisement

I received a replacement Curve 8330 from work. The old one I can keep and use as a phone with another wireless provider. The old 8330 had the camera and camcorder feature deactivated by the IT admin when I did a provision. When you push the camera icon a message reads "Camera feature deactivated by your administrator. How can I reset this phone to its original out of the box condition eliminating what the company IT group did?

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Try this thread...

http://forums.pinstack.com/showthrea...+policy&page=2

This is a link to the second page where two different users have described two different ways to go about removing the IT policy.

I'd go with the post by "mylinuxXXX" user...

Good luck...

Let us know how it foes for u...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Sherobin no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2157E9CE

IT Policy Removal

I wonder if anybody can help me. I removed the IT Policy from my friends BB by downloading the policy.bin file, updating the path in the registry, wiping her BB and running it via the DM.

The thing I need to know now is once I removed the IT Policy do I now need to delete the policy.bin file from my pc as when I connect my BB to the DM will it still detect this file and mess up my BB or can I just leave it on my pc in case I ever need to use it again.

If it is that I need to uninstall it from my pc will I need to go back into the registry and fix anything or will it all just revert back to normal.

I forgot all about it and when I plugged in my BB all my permissions for internet were popping up on my BB asking me I wanted to allow this and that to connect to the server and was wondering if this policy.bin had anything to do with it.

Any help would be most welcome.

Sher
    BB Forever - One Love (Sher)

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherobin View Post
    I wonder if anybody can help me. I removed the IT Policy from my friends BB by downloading the policy.bin file, updating the path in the registry, wiping her BB and running it via the DM.

The thing I need to know now is once I removed the IT Policy do I now need to delete the policy.bin file from my pc as when I connect my BB to the DM will it still detect this file and mess up my BB or can I just leave it on my pc in case I ever need to use it again.

If it is that I need to uninstall it from my pc will I need to go back into the registry and fix anything or will it all just revert back to normal.

I forgot all about it and when I plugged in my BB all my permissions for internet were popping up on my BB asking me I wanted to allow this and that to connect to the server and was wondering if this policy.bin had anything to do with it.

Any help would be most welcome.

Sher
    Hi Sherobin,

Welcome to the joy of sticky policies. In a case such as yours, and if you're at your wits end, ready to throw the device out a window, I use the following steps:

1.) Under Security Options on the device, disable "Content Protection" if it allows you to and is not locked down. This will decrease scrub time and help you get through the process a big quicker. Not vital, just a time saver.

2.) Load / Run Javaloader / JLcmdr and nuke the device - DISCONNECT the device while it is wiping.

3.) Uninstall DM from your machine or use a fresh machine and install DM on it.

4.) Delete all traces of RIM which may be left over in your system, in program files and common files directories

5.) Run Regedit, deleting all traces of RIM entries under Software. You may also want to run a registry cleaner like Abexho Free Registry Cleaner

6.) Create a new mail profile to use for the device only in DM (a duplicate of your primary Exchange acct) If you're using BIS, skip this step.

7.) Just to be safe, I like to restart the machine.

8.) By now, your device should be wiped and bricked.

9.) Install DM fresh. Do not plug your device in until it is completely installed.

10.) Connect your device; when prompted, select the new profile you created earlier.

11.) Load the OS onto the device. Make sure it's not a backup/restore copy.

Is this drastic? Kinda, yeah... but it's what I've used before as a last ditch effort, pulling pieces from RIM whitepapers.

There's also a tool available from RIM which cleans out your exchange profile of remnants of other policies and general RIM gunk.

This is time consuming, and a pain, but I've found that sometimes it's the only way I've been able to clean up a device. BTW if you have access to the BES console, try nuking the device from there first.

If you end up trying this, let me know your outcome please.

Good luck!