I have been searching for a while for any native APIs that would allow me ... IT & Business Pros forum

CamronB no está en línea Stack level 1

Grabbing Google Maps GPS coordinates in BB app. Is it possible?

I have been searching for a while for any native APIs that would allow me to grab my GPS coordinates from Google Maps on my BB. I'm trying to get them to be able to locate my BB if it gets lost.

I cannot use the BB GPS, as I cannot grab coordinates from inside a building. I haven't found a good web alternative, as I need to find my own coordinates first. I would like to use Google Maps, as it seems to have the best GPS capabilities I have seen. If I have to use BB GPS, I will abandon the project now.

Anyone know of any Google Maps Mobile APIs? Maybe a solution to this problem?

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    I don't understand, Google Maps uses the BlackBerry API for obtaining the GPS location. What's the difference?

CamronB no está en línea Stack level 1
    From what I've been reading, Google Maps doesn't use just GPS. If you don't have a GPS, it uses cells towers and readings from other people's GPS. If you do have a GPS, it also uses cell towers but also sends your GPS coordinates for those who don't have GPS.

Regardless of how it works, however, Google Maps grabs coordiantes much easier than Blackberry Maps. I can't use BB Maps in my basement. Won't grab a signal. However, Google Maps grabs it no problem.

blade911 no está en línea Stack level 1
    but then i dont know what the problem is then. if your google maps is grabbing a GPS signal then why is there an issue?
    if you go on the blackberry app world site theres an app called GPS tracker. in the program theres a way to track a lost or stolen phone it says.
    the phones that it supports are BlackBerry 8100
    BlackBerry 8110
    BlackBerry 8120
    BlackBerry 8130
    BlackBerry 8220
    BlackBerry 8300
    BlackBerry 8310
    BlackBerry 8320
    BlackBerry 8330
    BlackBerry 8700c
    BlackBerry 8700f
    BlackBerry 8700g
    BlackBerry 8700r
    BlackBerry 8700v
    BlackBerry 8703e
    BlackBerry 8705g
    BlackBerry 8707g
    BlackBerry 8707h
    BlackBerry 8707v
    BlackBerry 8800
    BlackBerry 8820
    BlackBerry 8830
    BlackBerry 8900
    BlackBerry 9000
    BlackBerry 9500
    BlackBerry 9530

happy hunting my friend

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    I realize this is a bit old, but since it's been necrothreaded, I'd thought I'd put in my two cents.

The Google Maps cellular location API is NOT using the BlackBerry location services on non GPS devices. It uses the cell tower API to get the current tower ID, then queries Google's location mapping database. On GPS enabled devices, the tower ID and current GPS coordinates are periodically sent to Google to improve the quality of their database.

For the technically inclined, it's class ionProvider (extends implements$ Listener); segment 2, class 15 for the particular version I analyzed.

I don't know if you'll able to invoke those APIs directly via the Google Maps module, but if you have a BlackBerry decompiler, you could reverse engineer the query sent to the Google server, and implement a library to make the same sorts of queries from your application.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: