Hey, I need help from the IT professionals....I currently use my blackberry for my normal ... IT & Business Pros forum

jekko1 no está en línea Stack level 3

Enterprise Email and Personal Email

Advertisement

Hey,

I need help from the IT professionals....I currently use my blackberry for my normal full time job and a part time which is more like a second full time job as well.

I have 2 email accounts on my phone...the Enterprise Corp account and then my own personal email that I use for the second job.

Is there anyway the Enterprise job can ever see whats fully going on with my phone and know that I am working 2 jobs at the same time?

I want to avoid having to buy an all new blackberry just to make sure the corporate job never finds out about the second job.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I don't think there's any way they could know about e-mails coming to your device through the BIS, but I defer to the BES experts out there.

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro
    It depends on if your IT dept at your Corp monitor the traffic for the devices. Once a device is attached to a Blackberry Enterprise Server(BES) and if that BES is using MDS then all traffic that goes in and out of your device has the potential of being monitored.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by jrockett View Post
    It depends on if your IT dept at your Corp monitor the traffic for the devices. Once a device is attached to a Blackberry Enterprise Server(BES) and if that BES is using MDS then all traffic that goes in and out of your device has the potential of being monitored.
    What if I delete MDS off my phone would they still be able to track what goes in and out then?

diabloboi87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31cdb8ca
    Negative, they can enforce the use of MDS via IT policy. They can also log all phone calls, SMS, and PIN messages that are sent and received by your blackberry.

In short they own you and your data, so I would consider nothing on that phone to be sacred.

Oh thats not good....how would i know if the IT dept uses MDS via IT policy?

It would suck having to have 2 blackberrys on me at all times...

PIN/ID
    31cdb8ca
    As far as I know there isn't really a way to tell, it's just something that is or it isn't. I would just assume that if your on their BES then every thing is flowing through MDS for filtering and logging.

Damn big brother always watching...

PIN/ID
    31cdb8ca
    haha indeed ... and boy am I glad I'm my own big brother. Should hear some of the conversations I have with my self about acceptable uses of my blackberry :-P

Hahaha thats amazing! I just talked to a former IT guy from my company. He is about 99.9% sure they dont track anything more then what hits the BES server and what mail is coming in and out of that server. He said the servers over there are already over loaded and if they were tracking all the texts and BIS emails the system would have crashed by now.

He also said that since I paid for my blackberry and dont submit my monthly bill to get reimbursted the company does not have the right to look at my personal emails and texts. If they ever did terminate me for working 2 jobs I could sue due to privacy issues. That is what is telling me which is a little assuring.

Thanks for the help...

wassona no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2439fbe3
    Im semi sure that they cannot track the personal email that is being sent by your phone. The emails that they track are the ones that go to your email account that your bes activation is tied to. To know if youve been attached to MDS go to options, advanced options, mds activation. Read through there and youll know if youve been activated.

PIN/ID
    LESS
    They can still log everything you do since you are on a bes. Do they have a right to terminate for having to two jobs yes and no, LOL

slahm no está en línea Stack level 1
    A BES admin can track any and all information sent and received by your blackberry once it is associated with their BES.

PINs, SMS, Etc.

They can remote lock it, remote wipe it, change your passwords, etc.

The whole point of a BES it to give corporate control over their assets. Once you associate your berry with their BES, it is under their control.

However - a proper IT dept. has auditing in place on their staff, as well as your berries, and usually limits the access IT staff have to mailboxes, etc.

Your data is available to them from that device.

It is just that simple.

y0diggity no está en línea Stack level 1
    I was reading a similar thread on another forum and someone even posted screenshots of BES software that tracks BBs using GPS, letting them see where you are at.
    It seems that if you're on a company BES, you might as well consider yourself owned. I don't know that too many companies use all of these methods, but the capability is certainly there. Does it bother me? Not personally. But I can understand that a lot of folks would be pretty unhappy about it. I would definitely follow the above advice and consider anything on your BB to be fair game.

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    From what i've been finding out more and more companys are locking down the camera on BB's. I know my company does and for darn good reason! . So maybe thats 1 way to check if your company is watching your berry in that way.