My psycho little dog knocked my laptop off my table. It still works but REEEEAALLLLYY ... IT & Business Pros forum

fiz_x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21a311e6

dropped laptop

Advertisement

My psycho little dog knocked my laptop off my table. It still works but REEEEAALLLLYY slow and jerky...any ideas? someone said it is my hard drive and that i can replace it, but I heard somewhere before that laptop hard drives aren't replacable. I dunno...I got a toshiba S-85 (a junky cheapo laptop) but dont really want to get a new one yet.

JadedBerry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    203B4165

Re: dropped laptop

Sounds like your hard drive to me. It's probably damaged the disk when he knocked it off the table. Laptop hard drives can be replaced, but I would suggest that you take it in as it's alot different than replacing the plug/play type in a desktop.
    One out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

Yep...more than likely is your HDD. Probably the "arm" or one or all of the "platters" are off track which slows down the RPMs needed for data "recovery" when you run programs.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

actually laptop harddrives are easier to install and set up than desktop harddrives are in my opinion...you just buy one unscrew the bottom stick it up run windows disk and there you go it takes about 45 minutes to instal windows back on it atleast i assume thats what you are using on your laptop

PIN/ID
    21a311e6

no windows disk...the recovery is on the hard drive...like I said cheapo laptop...I can try to get the recovery program burned on a disk and see what happens. Any suggestions along those lines?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

With the limited info given (dog accident, etc)
    I would pull the H. drive out and re-seed it and re-boot the laptop. See if anything changes.
    If not place the HD in the freezer for a few hours and get it good and cold. Then re- insert the HD again and see how it works? (sounds dumb, i know).
    I agree with Trigga15 laptop hard drives can be easier to remove and replace depending on the latop? (some are much harder).
    Any chance something else was damaged? Dont rule out something else causing the problem. The graphics card could be damaged? That will cause the shuttering or jerky movement on the screen.

i feel for you tho (damaged goods) are frustrating.

PIN/ID
    21a311e6

I don't know how but my computer seems to be fixing itself...every time I use it it gets s bit better...right now the only two noticable problems are real poor playback of videos being streamed online (plays videos from hard drive no problem) and the fact that it takes like 10 minutes to turn on. I can kinda live with that till after christmas when I planned on getting a new laptop anyway!

PIN/ID
    21a311e6

Also, thanx for all the suggestions everyone! And does sticking your HDD in the freezer actually do anything other than get it all cold and stuff? Lol if you can actually explain how that works I'm kinda interested!

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Sometimes when a HDD is going to fail the mechanism that makes the drive spin will heat up and expand. When bearings and other parts expand they rub on eachother and make the platters harder to move. Sometimes a person will put a HDD in a freezer so the parts will contract, sometimes just long enough to get a backup of the drive. The drive will eventually heat up again so you have to work fast. I've had to put more than a couple laptop drives in the freezer at work. This doesn't always work to make a drive spin again, but its worth a shot.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    21a311e6

Ah! So desu ne! well I dont think that is the problem right now, i think it might be, as srl7741 said, the graphics card, cuz the only problem left is the jerky video playback and Ive gotten a couple of errors regarding my graphics card. nothing I cant deal with! And thanks again guys!