Don't know if this is the right forum, but it includes both Mac and Windows ... IT & Business Pros forum

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Question How to connect external hd to mac wirelessly while connected to pc directly

Advertisement

Don't know if this is the right forum, but it includes both Mac and Windows so I just put it here.

A cousin of mine is wondering if there is a way to connect her external hard drive wirelessly to her mac without having to disconnect it from her pc.

Basically, if there is a way to avoid having to constantly disconnect and reconnect the hd when using it with a different computer.

The hd is a Simpletech Ext. HD.
    Last edited by lucky13mt; 07-07-2008 at 11:34 AM.
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    They Make A/B USB Switches that would allow this. The only thing is that onle 1 PC can use at a time. Will look up one 4 ya.

Did not think about sharing it, but that is probably the best option. Easiest to start from Windows and map VIA SMB from MAC
    Last edited by MWPatterson; 07-07-2008 at 12:02 PM.

rmerck no está en línea Device Pro
    Assuming the external HD in question has no wireless capability, you can share the hard drive from the pc via your wireless network and connect through there, or use the Mac to connect via Bluetooth to the pc, share the device and use it that way.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

krikor222 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3022BBE5
    I'm not too sure if you can have 2 different systems connected to one harddrive at the same time, BUT i may be wrong.

One solution is to have the external drive connected to the Windows PC, and then host that drive so that you may connect to it through your mac remotely via ftp.
    Shawn K.

Device: BlackBerry Curve 8330 v4.5.0.56
    Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)
    PIN: 3022BBE5

furtive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7a47e9f3
    Does their wireless access point have a USB port to plug in a drive to? IF not, then you're screwed without having to come up with a Macgyver-esque solution to enable file sharing.

Charlie Hustle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    skdck
    you should be able to.. Under your network settings for your mac enable windows sharing, also share that drive or whatever files you want to share in that drive. I have multiple drives i share across my network and i have a couple of macs in that network..

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    best solution with less hastle and dependability is to buy a NAS and connect it to your wireless network via rg-45, usb or 1394. That drive will act as a file server or storage unit, however you would want to use the device. This is how I set up home/small business networks that are looking for a shared storage medium. Some NAS devices on the market are upgradable and configurable for raid or nonraid and can reach the multi-terabyte capacities.
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

Charlie Hustle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    skdck
    Well, of course that is the best solution outside of having a file server or adding that role to your server. But i was just going with what they have already. And what would cost no money.