~~~posted via Blacberry~~~ I have a feeling most of you on this site are in ... IT & Business Pros forum

tweber78 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    214b43dc

changing directions

Advertisement

~~~posted via Blacberry~~~

I have a feeling most of you on this site are in the IT or telecommunication field. I have been in Foodservice for most of my working life. While is has been rewarding and varied, I have never felt that it is what I should be doing.

I have been thinking about going back to school. Specificaly for networking and somekind of IT security degree. I hope it will turn into a profitable and rewarding job down the road.

I am hoping to get some feedback on the job market out there, some personal experience from all of you, and some advice. Give it to me straight, the good, the bad, the ugly, and the indifferent.

Thanks in advance.
    ~Tweber78~
    akatweber78@pinstack.com
    Pinstack.com – where Blackberry Professionals Connect!

eli
    eli no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    201cfd69

Re: changing directions

It sounds like you're interested in the hardware/networking side of things.

However, if you're interested in working with websites, I urge you to learn as much as you can about all the types of Content Management Systems (CMS). I'm constantly encountering want ads looking for people with content mangement skills.

Eli

Malfo no está en línea Stack level 3

****Long Post,Sorry****

I'm not sure what the current job market is, but i can tell you what it's like for me on the job. I administer a small network, 35 users. I have to do everything from network design to help desk. Some users are not technical at all so most of my day is explaining little things to people. It pays to have a lot of patience.

What I truly enjoy is fixing things when they go wrong. I have fun when something goes down and I need to have it running 30 minutes ago. That's why I like.

Don't waste your money on certification programs etc. If you're in IT, you'll have to be constantly learning new things. You can get the same information by buying a few books and reading them [half.com, college students dump their books all the time]. My favorite books are the New Perspective series found at course.com. Awesome books! Case based and they start off slow.

Go on ebay or craigslist and buy a few old systems {PII's and PIII's}and setup your own test lab. That's how I do it if I want test something. I also use Virtual PC and VM ware. If you have a fast enough machine, you can have a virtual network in your desktop pc.

As for a college degree a lot of places will ask for a college grad, but it isn't necessary for network and sys admins. Most of your real learning will be on the job. Books wont tell you what an error message is in the Exchange event viewer. Most of my problem solving comes from experience and communicating with other network techies. Remember, Google is your friend!

That's all that comes to mind right at this second, so I'll add when more pops up. Sorry for the long post!

If you have any questions on anything just pin me!
    http://www.malfo.com

BB Pin: 203A953C ------------------Skype/AIM:MigAlfonseca

tweber78 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    214b43dc

Malfo, Eli,

Thanks for your input.
    ~Tweber78~
    akatweber78@pinstack.com
    Pinstack.com – where Blackberry Professionals Connect!

Malfo no está en línea Stack level 3

If you have any questions don't hesitate to pin me!
    ~~~Posted via Blackberry @ wap.pinstack.com~~~