How does the device testing system work? Must you be in a high volume blackberry ... IT & Business Pros forum

soren1234 no está en línea Stack level 1

Calling All Blackberry Device Testers, Over!

Advertisement

How does the device testing system work?

Must you be in a high volume blackberry environment? Or is it more based on being a "trusted" RIM business partner?

Somebody fill me in!

Our CEO wants badly to test new devices before public release.
    Mostly for status - I know, I know, very

Aside from our CEO having new device status, I've always wanted to be in the device testing "club", having always worked in blackberry environments, and of course having been the BES admin at 2 fairly large corporations(hundreds of BBS) and 1 small one (50+ BBs). I love RIM and blackberries since they were data only and grayscale. I also love technology and gadgets. This would be huge for me.

Any advice? Or should I just contact RIM directly and await the brushoff? Or should I have our Marketing VP contact them? I'm confident we have things to offer that RIM would want. Even if I can't get test devices, maybe I could get some sort of sponsorship out of it.

Sorry for the rambling.

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Re: Calling All Blackberry Device Testers, Over!

The best advice that I can give you would be to contact RIM directly and let them know that you are interested in testing. I think that you'll find that most of the folks involved with any kind of pre-release information (including testing devices) have some pretty strict non-disclosure agreements, so most likely you won't be getting too much detail here.

Also, you might to consider speaking with whatever carrier you use as well. They often get devices to look at well before they are made available to the general public. Also, anyone involved with those programs is probably under an NDA as well.
    David

soren1234 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for the reply. That all makes sense, especially about the NDA's. I wonder if the NDA also covers divulging information and pics on forums like this!

Well, I'm going to give RIM a try. I think as they shift their strategy to court consumers as well as businesses, they may be interested in having their latest device visible in the hands of our CEO. He is a very high profile guy, and lots of other high profile trend setting types pick things like this up from him.

PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Quote Originally Posted by soren1234
    Thanks for the reply. That all makes sense, especially about the NDA's. I wonder if the NDA also covers divulging information and pics on forums like this!
    You can be sure that it is quite clear about not disclosing ANY information covered by the NDA, which would certainly include posting to a place like this. In many cases, the terms of the NDA are such that you aren't even allowed to disclose the fact that you are participating in a trial or evaluation at all. (This is based on personal experience with a number of different technologies that I have been involved with in the past, not just necessarily how RIM does things.)

Quote Originally Posted by soren1234
    Well, I'm going to give RIM a try. I think as they shift their strategy to court consumers as well as businesses, they may be interested in having their latest device visible in the hands of our CEO. He is a very high profile guy, and lots of other high profile trend setting types pick things like this up from him.
    I know that the carriers in particular are often interested in getting certain people what they call "seed devices", since often those people are seen as business or technology leaders, and getting devices in the hands of those folks are a way to get the technology more visibility. This doesn't always translate into getting a pre-release device, but it sometimes gets a free one right at the release date.

Good luck.
    David

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

If he could become a tester I don't think he would have any right to bring the BB out of your environment since the NDA doesn't want it to be SEEN in public
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

PIN/ID
    23f260fb

That's why "seed" devices don't come out that early, but usually right around product launch. However, it is probably easier to get a "seed" device than get on the uber-secret pre-release evaluation list.
    David