If anybody ever started an Automitive shop of their own, or any other similar business, ... IT & Business Pros forum

lovellbird no está en línea Stack level 3

Anyone ever start their own business??

Advertisement

If anybody ever started an Automitive shop of their own, or any other similar business, could you please pin-message me or send me a private message on here or email?? Hubby wants to start his own shop and wants ME to handle the office management.

I know NOTHING about starting my own business...and we are starting with nothing. So.....I just wondered if any of you had any advice for me, besides "don't try it"; because believe me, I have tried to talk him out of it.

Lovellbird

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Anyone ever start their own business??

My dad just started his own handy man business. I stay out of money issues with my parents to be safe. Money leads to fights.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~
    Yeah. Leads to fights in marriages too!

He is determined to start a business when we have NO savings. I need some good ammo to talk him out of it.

Bleh.

Lovellbird

andrebsd no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F09FB

Your going to need backup savings, My father used to own an autoshop and you do get sued once in a while... It may be your fault and it may have nothing to do with you but the customer thinks it does, and either way it costs money to defend yourself. Without savings if a client wins, you can surely loose the business and if its just you guys owning it... You could also loose assets, such as your house and cars.

I tryed opening a couple software companies, but when I needed extra funds I didn't have them. I never thought to have a savings before, didn't believe my dad, and then it came down to taking serious loans out, or quitting the projects. I closed shop, and currently just invest money in stocks and bonds.

Did it turn out bad? No. I got very lucky. I just wouldn't bet on being lucky next time, as atleast half or so startup companies fail to never return. You got to have a backup plan before you start, as you'll probably need it.

Not trying to put you or anyone starting a company down, I love startups that work.. They make me money too with my investments. But that's the reality, you need a backup.

I always believed that to be successful you need passion, and I'm under the impression that your husband is just doing this to "become rich quick". That kind of scares me as I don't think there will be true passion and if his mind is only thinking about money then your bound to make mistakes with the actual business.

So yeah, that's my opinion, if you need/want anything else the feel free to message.

He does have a passion for what he does. I have to say that. Ever since I have known him, he has wanted his own shop. He has always wanted to be his own boss and run things the way he wanted.

But I think he has been listening too much to his best friend, who is an idiot. His best friend really DOES want to get rich quick. I still think that my hubby thinks it will be a lot more successful than it will be.

I also think the timing is wrong. We are getting ready to move closer to that area; and I will be quitting my full time job and going back to college in the fall. BAD timing when you have a family to support too, if you ask me.

He doesn't ask me though. He has lately adopted his best friend's attitude of wives being idiots that shouldn't have any say in major decisions. Yet he expects me to write up the business plans and grant proposals, and run the office when the business starts.

It's a bunch of crap. I am about ready to smack his best friend-but I know that would not help.

Ok. Enough ranting I guess...for now.

Lovellbird

MirandaSoft no está en línea Stack level 2

I know nothing about an auto shop, though my younger brothers started up a chop shop at my parents home before they were kicked out.

I originally started up my business (MCM Databases) in 1988. In 1992, I became MirandaSoft Computer Services. I have operated my business in Seattle Washington, Anchorage Alaska, San Francisco California, Chicago Illinois, and Manila Philippines. I also operate MirandaSoft International (MSI), MirandaSoft News (MSI News), and MirandaSoft Security (MSI Security).

It's hard to keep up with Technology...

Marcos
    MirandaSoft! International http://www.MirandaSoft.net
    Owner of Treo 600 (T-Mobile)