I'm just curious as to what any of you Citrix admins aim for as far ... IT & Business Pros forum

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro

Any Citrix gurus?

Advertisement

I'm just curious as to what any of you Citrix admins aim for as far as how many users you allow per processor on a Citrix server.

Thanks in advance. Your input is greatly appreciated.

instant000 no está en línea Stack level 2

Wow. That's kinda vague. It depends on a lot to answer this question. I think most don't want to answer this question, because it can go in many directions, depending on your environment.

In our case, we run in 32-bit on Windows 2003, and we get from 40-50 users per server easily, on dell's w/ dual or single quad-core CPUs, though the dual quad-cores perform a little better, obviously, as Citrix is so CPU intensive.

However, we recently installed Symantec Endpoint Protection, and the number of comfortable users dropped to 20-25. (Anything more than that, and the errors/corruption problems are ridiculous.)

I had to convert some test servers over to production, in order to spread out the load a bit more to get people back working smoothly.

So, as you see, my own environment can cut the number of users in half, just because of one application!

These are our heaviest hitter applications in Citrix:
    (1) Outlook
    (2) Excel
    (3) Word
    (4) ERP App

But, in your case, you might have different apps, that behave a lot differently in a TS environment.

Also, you may have a different ratio of heavy users versus not-so-heavy users.

If we had a perfect storm and somehow all the beefiest users got onto the same server, it'd probably only support five to ten of them before it started having issues. Fortunately, we have enough servers that the odds are thin that this would ever occur.

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    Sorry to be so vague. We'll be running dual quad cores. That's all I was looking for was a rough estimate. We are replacing our two Citrix servers. Now we are currently getting about 20 users on each server with no problem. So I'm guessing we'll be able to handle 40-50 easily on the new machines.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

instant000 no está en línea Stack level 2

I think that your end user behavior affects the number of users you can get more than anything else.

And actually, without knowing the applications you're using, and the types of users that you have, I cannot honestly affirm you can look forward to that number.

What if your apps are more ram intensive than your user count is CPU-intensive? In this case, adding more RAM would help you more.

Also, as I demonstrated in our case, your choice of antivirus package affects this greatly.

Also, how you handle user profiles affects this greatly.

There's a bit much to this, actually, and this is probably why you do not see many people saying X sessions per server if you have RAM A, Processor B, and HDD C, and Network D. .... so much of it depends on end user behavior, and whether or not your bottleneck is RAM or CPU.

In our case, we have several problem users who tend to be able to greatly grow their profile space rapidly (due to something they do in Excel that produces corrupt/recovery .tmp files) ..... Which I can't automatically delete, since without these files, they can't recover the files, but ... these files can be 100 MB +, and imagine if you get enough like this, you can have a 1 GB profile. So, we kind of have to watch the profile sizes.

And, I can't change the end user behavior, as though I know the problem is from people running shadow ERP systems, so much of what goes on in a company is purely political.

You can't just tell Bob in accounting that he should do it a different way, as I have learned that people seem more ready to throw resources at a problematic process, rather than actually fix the problematic process .... seems so inefficient to me, and I let my opinion be known .... though it hasn't helped yet .... maybe if money gets tighter they'll start to listen to me more ...

One example I have is someone who actually does open up 5 or 6 100 MB excel spreadsheets all at once, and then runs macros across these, all to run some reports. My only gripe with this is that all of the information within the spreadsheets comes from our ERP system, so I suggested that we just give them a report with the needed information ..... but they don't want it that way? Huh? So you'd rather have someone work for 15 minutes for something you could possibly generate in a few clicks? You're kidding, right?

This is my reality.

Wow, I just went on a rant. Sorry.

Hope your servers do well