Hello! I noticed, that I can not access sites, which are password-protected. I'm not talking ... IT & Business Pros forum

kot
    kot no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Accessing PASSWORD-protected sites fails

Advertisement

Hello!

I noticed, that I can not access sites, which are password-protected. I'm not talking about passwords implemented via cookies (like on this forum and almost everywhere else).

I mean the HTTP-passwords (the way it was meant to be implemented).

I have, on my own home-server, a place which is thus protected, and Blackberry can't access it. It has no problems reaching other parts of the server, but trying to get to the protected part fails with a time-out. I would've expected to be prompted for password, but nothing like that happens -- just a timeout... Other phones I tried seem to have the same problem (on AT&T and Verizon networks, at least).

Could anyone confirm? Did the carriers just quietly decided to not implement the HTTP-authentication and still pretend, they deliver a "fully featured" browser? If this is due to the device going through the carrier's proxy, by default, perhaps, there is a way to tell it to go directly?

Thanks!

swalker2001 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2461c562
    Have you tried other browsers like Opera Mini or Bolt?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

kot
    kot no está en línea Stack level 1
    Have you tried other browsers like Opera Mini or Bolt?
    No, I'm unsure, how to install these -- and would rather figure things out with the standard browser (if at all possible). Here is a sample URL http://virtual-estates.com/~mi/arxiv-old/xranilische/threads.html.gz can you access it from your Blackberry with anything? If you get prompted for password, there is hope. If the requests simply timeout, the browser is not working...

Thanks!

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Ok I'm not going to be much help but I copied the link you posted and pasted it into the browser it asked for authentication username and password