Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by lexo I know i mean come on no video recording- i had ... RIM Handheld OS forum

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by lexo View Post
    I know i mean come on no video recording- i had a 5 year old nokia that recorded video with no memory card!I think if they don't release the 8100 recording capabilities on the rumored 4.5 os im definitely going above the rim!
    It has already been announced that the 8100 will not have the recording capabilities added to it with the launch of 4.5, just the newer phones with the 2.0mp camera.

Zo

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=60412
    Last edited by Amigotek; 05-07-2008 at 07:35 PM.

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    It has already been announced that the 8100 will not have the recording capabilities added to it with the launch of 4.5, just the newer phones with the 2.0mp camera.

Zo

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=60412

And to add to that, I have actually put video recording onto a bb pearl, The videos are green and purple and have no effect functions. The hardware in my opninion is not compatable.

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    To those arguing "reliability over functionality, just remember that Windows Mobile: Professional 6 offers many of the functions that BlackBerry OS does not and for the most part, it is just as reliable as BlackBerry OS - without bias, I find BlackBerry OS to only be "slightly" better than the most recent version of Windows Mobile.

Windows Mobile: 5 crashed constantly, but Windows Mobile: 6 rarely crashes - it's actually significantly better than BlackBerry OS 4.2.1.x on my BlackBerry 8800, though the difference between BlackBerry OS 4.2.2.x (on my BlackBerry Curve 8300) and Windows Mobile: Professional 6 is minute...

If I HAD to pick which was better, I'd say BlackBerry OS, but only just.

Anyway, I'm getting off the track here, and will likely end up starting a war...

The simple fact is, there's nothing wrong with taking a little longer than everyone else, but a year or more?

C'mon, what a joke!

For a company as big as RIM, delays of a year or more is simply not acceptable - they have the money and resources to address any security/stability issues in a timely manner (read "six months maximum"), they simply choose not to, for unknown reasons...

I personally lay the majority of the blame on poor management at the top - I wouldn't fire the CEOs as there are plenty of reasons to keep them (RIM's current financial position being one of them), but I would give them a stern warning that in the immediate future, they need to move things along at a much quicker pace, or face the risks in the medium/long-term future (although pretty unlikely, going the way of Palm is an extreme example).

I simply cannot believe that a company the size of RIM can't add "key functionality" AND address security/stability concerns in six months - twelve months in an extreme example (bearing in mind that by the time certain "key functions" will have been added to BlackBerry OS, many competitors will have had such functionality for 12-24 months)...

~ Posted wirelessly from my BlackBerry 8800 (http://wap.pinstack.com) ~

DonGato no está en línea Stack level 3
    They won't have the business market for them alone for much longer. If they don't learn to be more speedy with their updates/releases they will follow Palm, and NO I don't believe it's an exaggeration because the mobile appliances market is much more changing than the PDA one (IMO). It's not about better multimedia, I can care less about the video recorder but they need to improve the OS and applications and they need to be constant. If it took them an extra year to release an update, what will it take them another one?

If they don't wake up they will end with a simple niche market that was their start, but I doubt investors will like that, so a management change is in order to avoid it if that's the problem. Maybe we think too much of RIM and they aren't that good. My experience with them is short so I can't tell yet.

If it's simply that they want to promote their 9000 series instead of upgrading the old ones, well... I wish them luck because my next mobile device won't be a BlackBerry. One of the things that made me chose them was knowing they will update the OS and fix the BUGS it has. Or people still think the current released OS is bug free?

cpk3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Next week is WES... Do you think they might be waiting tell then to make the big Announcements and releases?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Cyba,

Apparently Microsoft doesn't think of it's product as highly as some users do. They purchased Danger Inc. to revamp their Mobile Product software. It will be interesting to see exactly how they use Danger's programming expertise to revamp Windows Mobile.

Zo

fleshka no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yes very far behind. My bb curve locks up to where I push a button and it takes 15 seconds before that function works. The general public have tendancies to overstate things I.e. That this os is amazing. It is a good phone just highly overrated. For the money of these I expected them to be more user friendly and have at least capabilities of other phones. This os upgarde is far too slow to come. While I like this phone, if something else comes along and I can run real medical software on it, I would have no prob switching. Another thing upsetting is the progs for bb all require money. There is no freeware at all. At least with windows mobile you can run exe files and real programs. I think people give the blackberry way more credit than it deserves and not enough credit to other phones out there. Rim has this adv bc it was a new phone type deal in business world years back. I think they survive by people saying business folk get bb not others. I fail to see how the lack of capabilities and old *** functioning phones compared to those from 2003 are gonna keep this cash cow going.

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    Cyba,

Apparently Microsoft doesn't think of it's product as highly as some users do. They purchased Danger Inc. to revamp their Mobile Product software. It will be interesting to see exactly how they use Danger's programming expertise to revamp Windows Mobile.

Zo
    Danger was not purchased to "revamp" Windows Mobile - in typical Microsoft fashion, Microsoft saw something that was making money and snatched it up for "potential" future use...

Danger was purchased with the sole intention of being a sister product to Windows Mobile; the intention has never been to replace Windows Mobile and many Microsoft executives have bluntly stated this.

It's actually highly likely that Microsoft will ditch Danger OS completely, in favour of a custom version of Windows Mobile that is made EXCLUSIVELY for the HipTop/SideKick...

A number of "industry professionals" have also expressed this same opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by fleshka View Post
    It is a good phone just highly overrated. For the money of these I expected them to be more user friendly and have at least capabilities of other phones. This os upgarde is far too slow to come. While I like this phone, if something else comes along and I can run real medical software on it, I would have no prob switching.
    I think people give the blackberry way more credit than it deserves and not enough credit to other phones out there. Rim has this adv bc it was a new phone type deal in business world years back. I think they survive by people saying business folk get bb not others. I fail to see how the lack of capabilities and old *** functioning phones compared to those from 2003 are gonna keep this cash cow going.
    A little long-winded, but I couldn't have put it better myself...

Fantastic post, and awesome points!

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    the progs for bb all require money. There is no freeware at all. At least with windows mobile you can run exe files and real programs.
    While BB doesn't have the library of software WM has, I don't see how you came up with all programs for the BB cost money...I've got chat, maps, music composition, weather, stocks, various music and video players, games, 411 search, RSS feeds, all without spending a dime...not to mention some other java programs you can get to run from places like getjar.com. You could spend a long time trying out all the free software there.

And, what exe's are you getting wm6 to run? You just copy over your photoshop.exe and it runs? Ha.

I'd love too see all the bells and whistles built into the BB OS, but not if it's going to mess with the stability of my device. I deploy phones for my company, I haven't come across one WM5 or 6 device out of the 8125's, 8525's, tilt, blackjack I and II, Moto Q, 9h or c, that can compete with the BB in terms of stability, if you thought the measily amount of times a typical BB needs a battery pull was bad. You'll smash up a WM device in minutes. but on the matter of consumer features...let's see what RIM does. I just hope it's soon, and done right.

Calreg11 no está en línea Stack level 1
    well bb was more geared towards business users who have less use of multimedia and now they are targeting the general public so it will catch on that people want more multimedia

dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    ~via My BB Pearl 8100(wap.pinstack.com)~
    I like BB more than WM. Only thing I really want is the better browser, video recording, and documents to go. And 2 of those I will get, so I am satisfied.

untjoker no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by europamo View Post
    I think RIM is far from getting anywhere near Palm's debacle.
    Amen to that. The reason Palm is in such a Cluster -F right now is because they refuse (not that they don't know there's a problem or even that they don't know what to change) they just refuse to innovate. RIM is doing just the opposite. Now they may be a little slower than you'd like in adopting new things, but one thing RIM is ALWAYS doing is innovating. In a matter of 2 years we have seen RIM go from no memory card, click wheel scrolling, and EDGE data speeds to trackball navigation, A-GPS, WIfI, micro sd/SDHC card slots, high resolution screens, UMTS/HSDPA high speed data (fastest available too might I add) and an upcoming touch screen model. So to say that RIM is anywhere near Palm is in a word: ignorant. No offense to the original poster, but RIM is on an incline and has been. They are right where they want to be, and right where their shareholders want to be. I mean look at windows mobile phones. The best windows mobile phones currently available have a max of 256MB ROM, (Eten makes some bigger ROMS, but they are bottleknecked by their 64MB RAM) Blackberry now has 1GB ROM when the Bold is released.
    Yes, I've been diagnosed with Phantom Vibration Disorder.....

DonGato no está en línea Stack level 3
    Calling someone ignorant and then asking for forgiveness is just plain stupid. Or you make the insult or you not but you can't hide it behind a "forgive me". Oh, and I meant the stupid if you were wondering.

Let's see how this market is in two years when the other initiatives that are now in development are fully released and eroding RIM's market.

I didn't ask for forgiveness, the original poster still made an ignorant comment when he equated rim with palm. Everything in my last post I stand by and shouldnot be taken personally ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Agreed on the winmo, he chips/chipset phone manufacturers use are a big limitation to windows...I've played with 6.1 and it is quite nice...
    Quote Originally Posted by CybaCowboy View Post
    To those arguing "reliability over functionality, just remember that Windows Mobile: Professional 6 offers many of the functions that BlackBerry OS does not and for the most part, it is just as reliable as BlackBerry OS - without bias, I find BlackBerry OS to only be "slightly" better than the most recent version of Windows Mobile.

Windows Mobile: 5 crashed constantly, but Windows Mobile: 6 rarely crashes - it's actually significantly better than BlackBerry OS 4.2.1.x on my BlackBerry 8800, though the difference between BlackBerry OS 4.2.2.x (on my BlackBerry Curve 8300) and Windows Mobile: Professional 6 is minute...

If I HAD to pick which was better, I'd say BlackBerry OS, but only just.

Anyway, I'm getting off the track here, and will likely end up starting a war...

The simple fact is, there's nothing wrong with taking a little longer than everyone else, but a year or more?

C'mon, what a joke!

For a company as big as RIM, delays of a year or more is simply not acceptable - they have the money and resources to address any security/stability issues in a timely manner (read "six months maximum"), they simply choose not to, for unknown reasons...

I personally lay the majority of the blame on poor management at the top - I wouldn't fire the CEOs as there are plenty of reasons to keep them (RIM's current financial position being one of them), but I would give them a stern warning that in the immediate future, they need to move things along at a much quicker pace, or face the risks in the medium/long-term future (although pretty unlikely, going the way of Palm is an extreme example).

I simply cannot believe that a company the size of RIM can't add "key functionality" AND address security/stability concerns in six months - twelve months in an extreme example (bearing in mind that by the time certain "key functions" will have been added to BlackBerry OS, many competitors will have had such functionality for 12-24 months)...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12