Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Let's see how things REALLY are in the world of "smartphones". Computer-like Internet experience (minimum ... RIM Handheld OS forum

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA

Why is BlackBerry OS so far behind the competition?

Advertisement

Let's see how things REALLY are in the world of "smartphones".

Computer-like Internet experience (minimum requirements are an experience similar to that offered by Opera Software's Opera Mini 4.0)...
    • BlackBerry OS: "Probably" by the end of this year.
    • Windows Mobile ("Professional" version): "Probably" in the next three-ish months.
    • Symbian OS: About 12 months ago, on certain devices.
    • Mac OS X: About 12 months ago.

HTML e-mail messages...
    • BlackBerry OS: "Hopefully" by the end of this year.
    • Windows Mobile ("Professional" version): About 12 months ago.
    • Symbian OS: Partial support about 12 months ago, on certain devices.

Advanced multimedia capabilities (minimum requirements are shuffle/repeat/full-screen plauyback modes)...
    • BlackBerry OS: 9-12 months ago, on most devices.
    • Windows Mobile: At least three years ago.
    • Symbian OS: At least three years ago.

Looking at the above information, all of which comes from first-hand experience (except for the Apple iPhone), it is obvious that whilst BlackBerry OS has a HUGE list of benefits, they are clearly behind the times!

It is clear that Research in Motion (RIM) are slow to release updates and sadly, they have offered little to suggest that this will change anytime soon...

A computer-like Internet experience is still two upgrades away (keeping in mind that BlackBerry OS 4.5.x, which lacks this feature hasn't even been released yet!) and HTML e-mail messages, even in a "basic" form (as offered by Symbian OS some 12 months ago) is still a big question mark!

Don't get me wrong, I love my BlackBerry devices (a BlackBerry Curve 8300 and a BlackBerry 8800), but I'm not gonna wait forever and if the "right" device comes onto the market, I may just switch back to one of the other operating systems that I have used for so many years...

~ Posted wirelessly from my BlackBerry 8800 (http://wap.pinstack.com) ~

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    I used a symbian phone for a few years and just got sick of it crashing all the time. I love how stable and secure the bb OS is but I agree, want more mulitmedia support.
    We will hear that bb are for business use, but I'm not buying that one anymore.
    I cannt see RIM going the way of palm but they are getting there.

DonGato no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well, I would love to see android based devices. I have big expectations for them and I really hope they put some sense into RIM or they will eventually die.

Another, not minor, thing is their development capabilities, and RIM clearly showed that is not as open/accessible as other platforms. To this day there are not many Open Source developments and this show something, don't you think?

europamo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31A51117
    Quote Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
    I used a symbian phone for a few years and just got sick of it crashing all the time. I love how stable and secure the bb OS is but I agree, want more mulitmedia support.
    We will hear that bb are for business use, but I'm not buying that one anymore.
    I cannt see RIM going the way of palm but they are getting there.

I think RIM is far from getting anywhere near Palm's debacle.

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask
    They do lack in the mutimedia side a bit but over the last few yrs they have come a long way with all the consumer friendly features and with the rummors of new devices such as the kickstar am sure we will see many changes withing the next two years or so.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Don LuiG View Post
    They do lack in the mutimedia side a bit but over the last few yrs they have come a long way with all the consumer friendly features and with the rummors of new devices such as the kickstar am sure we will see many changes withing the next two years or so.

I think that we all agree that RIM's come far since the 8700 days (which wasn't that long ago)...with the Pearl and the Curve....however, I think a better question----is it far enough, fast enough?

I think the answer to that is no. The 4.3/5/6/7 WHATEVER they will call it has been "rumered" since last SEPTEMBER! Almost a YEAR!!! What are they thinking? Now with the possible release of the 9000 or Kickstart....cool, new phones....however....I think they would have BETTER selling capabilities if they released a GOOD STRONG 4.5 to give everyone a taste of what the new phones capabilities will be.

Isn't that how the food stores in the mall do it? Give you a taste to get you to buy more. That's why I bought the 8310---I got a taste of GPS from Google/8300...so after that taste sat there long enough, I wanted the real thing. So, give us a taste RIM....and we will buy bigger and better.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    RIM's success and loyal customer's comes from their strong OS and the fact it is not a Windows OS which does nothing but crashes regularly. RIM is strong because it doesn't just throw out software that is not ready yet.

In this age of technology and nothing being able to remain secretive, you are going to hear rumors of stuff coming out all the time and it's going to take awhile before you ever see the finished product. We start hearing rumors of new OS's and devices when they are still in the very VERY early stages of development because we are a technology hungry world and we have to have everything NOW.

I love new devices and upgrading to the latest and greatest but it doesn't do anyone any good if the OS is not stable enough to be used like most of us use our BB's. I don't mind waiting for a company to work out their kinks before they release a product...Prime example - WINDOWS VISTA!!!

Just my two cents....
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Guys Its all about marketing! You walk into walmart and the things you need the most are all the way in the back, like milk. And so what do they do? they put in the front candy, and clothes. why do they do this? so you spend more time in the store and spend your money. Same applies to RIM why would they release the 4.5 os when they could get you to buy the new phones? My guess is what exactly what I say it is a "guess" is that it wil be released after the new devices start selling. I so hope im wrong

SLVR6 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    G PONG!
    Wow, I think many loose the fact the RIM's mainstay is still providing a rock solid device for business users. Sure the latest devices are getting up to speed with the competition in multimedia areas which is great, but not the main focus. Do I like all the new stuff coming out, YES! Would I still use a Blackberry if none of it was coming and I had no multimedia capability...YES, as would many because of the rock solid OS and email capability. Just my $0.02.

dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    For more multimedia support use MiuTunes, although it is still in beta form it works really well.

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Most of the things listed here are mostly multimedia capabilities, I prefer a working device over fancy options, I used a BB for 2 years and a half now and always received my emails which I had problems with a Windows mobile phone.

I remember at first BB attracted mostly business people, not people looking for the best MP3 players or a replacement for their home pc.
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

silviajdm no está en línea Stack level 3
    +1 I agree, if I wanted multimedia in a handheld device I would have bout an Apple iTouch (which I plan on doing once they release the 32gb this summer

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    You are comparing a company that entered the multimedia market just over a year ago from a business centric reliable, durable phone to companies that have made multimedia units for years. Considering how long they have been in this market, I personally think they have done a pretty good job catching up to most of the competition.

Zo

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    The fact that they have a stable platform is NOT lost on me. What is lost on me is that if RIM had wanted to appeal to the consumer, they should have been ready to appeal to the consumer. Consumers want flash and fancy--not have to wait. I for one am very pleased with the media player that is already on the phone.

My "gripe" (if you can call it that---which it isn't now that I have the beta) was that I had this amazing phone that couldn't do simple things---take video. The email's great (even though we dont have real HTML like several other phones), the browser is mediocre at best....there is no "real" documets saving/editing....

I believe that 4.5/6/7 IS ready for release, but RIM market smartened up...no one will buy the 9000 if they have all the features on their current phones....so I for one have no problem waiting for the release as long as I have my beta....which is flawless...dont know what is going on with all the other releases.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

lexo no está en línea Stack level 3
    I know i mean come on no video recording- i had a 5 year old nokia that recorded video with no memory card!I think if they don't release the 8100 recording capabilities on the rumored 4.5 os im definitely going above the rim!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast